Best headphones around $180 for somebody who doesn't know what they're doing
post-8963790
Post #1 of 2

mitchjohns97

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
So through a happy coincidence both my uncles got me pair of earbuds for Christmas. One got a pair of Bose ie2 and the other got a bluetooth pair of higher end sports earbuds. Since I didn't have much need for sports earbuds, I decided to return them and keep the Bose. I got $170 when I returned them and now I want to get a better pair of around the ear headphones with that money, I wouldn't mind throwing a few more bucks in if it helped me up to a better fitting headphone for me. I stumbled upon this forum and pretty much landed on the Sennheiser 558, but most people that use these seem to have them hooked up with amps and other set ups. I really don't have a clue what any of that means so needless to say, I'd prefer to avoid getting an amp and other accessories. So my question is do I NEED an amp to use those headphones or is it more of just another plus? If I do need an amp, what other sets should I look at that don't need one (I'm looking mostly at around the ear models). I would use them for listening to music on my computer, mostly from spotify, I know that they have a higher quality streaming rate for premium that I guess I'll have to try out. I also listen to music from i tunes (I get the feeling I'm going to be hated for that one) off of my ipod. I listen to just about everything at one time or another but I tend to stick mostly to alternative, indie, emo, and punk so I don't think I need anything very bass-heavy.
Any suggestions would be really helpful. Thanks!

post-8963815
Post #2 of 2

Headzone

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
You don't need an amp for HD558's, they can be run straight from your computer. 

Later on, if you want you can add something like the FiiO E10 AMP/DAC (50$) but it's not necessary. This thing should give you slightly cleaner sound compared to your onboard audio or iPod.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)