Best headphone of the past 2 years.....with poll
Sep 3, 2010 at 8:13 PM Post #17 of 89
The only problem I can see with this thread is that, nobody has heard all the phones, or even the majority of them, of all the phones I havent heard, they might be all better then my preference for what I've heard.

Sep 3, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #18 of 89
Most people who have attended a CanJam in the past two years have heard everything on the list. IIRC, all of them were there and I made a point of listening to all of them.

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #19 of 89

Quote:
The only problem I can see with this thread is that, nobody has heard all the phones, or even the majority of them, of all the phones I havent heard, they might be all better then my preference for what I've heard.

Quote:
Most people who have attended a CanJam in the past two years have heard everything on the list. IIRC, all of them were there and I made a point of listening to all of them.

Ditto, went to CJ and I've spent a little time with all the phones in this poll, more than one example of most of them. 
atsmile.gif

One of my reasons for this years CJ trip was to hear the LCD-2, the HE-5 and the T1. CanJam is the best
place to get some head time before making a purchase. Listening at meets isn't nearly perfect, but it beats the snot out of blind buying according to whats en vogue at head-fi. I went to CJ with the intention of buying the LCD-2 and the T1 this year. I'm buying neither one now, but I have already bought a used pair of HE60's and will buy a JH3a sometime in the next 12 months based on what I heard.  

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #20 of 89
I know I haven't heard them all.... I hate these polls, they invariably end up being based on limited experiences with a limited set of the mentioned products.

Also Erik, the fact is that people who attend CanJam are actually a minority of Head-Fiers, even the regulars, and CanJam is still not exactly ideal for testing.

Oh well.

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #21 of 89
The ones on my poll which i have heard are:

Edition 8
HD800
T1
LCD2
HE-5

Have not heard the others, though I have owned a D5000 which I'm sure is quite similar to the D7000. I can easily rule out the Jerry Harvey products becuase I don't look at IEMs as more than portable headphone, and I know based on my UE10s that the JH13 and 16 are probably in the same league tonally as any headphone I own, but the invariable limitations of IEMs would always prevent me from voting for them against a great full-size headphone

That leaves the PS1000 which unfortunately I have not heard...being in New York it would seem simple enough to get my hands on one to try.

It also leaves the Stax limited model which I'm sure is great but is not their reference model so I'd assume that even if it was great, they certainly make better models

I have not heard the HE6 or the HE5LE

Sep 5, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 89
One of my nephews likes my 404LE more than my HD800.
I'm not voting for him. :)

Maybe we could rate them in order of preference - the ones  we have heard, of course.

Sep 5, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #25 of 89
Quote:
wink said:

One of my nephews likes my 404LE more than my HD800.

This is normal. The HD800 corrupt the sound in a couple of ways: shortened decay, highs lacking the middle subband, big soundstage but lacking perspective feeling. Beyer's T1, Ultrasone's Edition 8 and Grado's PS1000 are above them in terms of sonic fidelity. I chose the T1 due to rigid construction and no crazy engineering like silver-plated cable or punched-through transducer.

Sep 7, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #27 of 89
I've auditioned the grados, denon, beyerdynamic, and stax and found that the HD 800 produces the most accurate and natural sound if properly amped. The denons has too much bass and thes grado were painful if worn for a while. The beyerdynamic were kinda nice but I like the HD 800 better because of its larger soundstage and were comfortable even if worn for a long period.

HD 800 FTW!! 

Sep 7, 2010 at 9:15 AM Post #28 of 89
Shocking!! 

To this point and with all the trash talking about it,
that the hd800 has 41% of the 77 voters to this point?

Closest comptetitor is the FOTM LCD-2 @ 11%?? 

Interesting...still early, I guess.

I know...I know...the poll is corrupt...the poll has problems...my headphone isn't winning.

ph34r.gif

(sliding down the flame pole and putting on my flame suit now.)

UPDATE: For considerations...there were only 1000 SR-404LE made, correct?  How many would find this poll or head-fi?

Sep 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #30 of 89

Users who are viewing this thread

Back