Best headphone of the past 2 years.....with poll
Sep 15, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #61 of 89

Quote:

If the LCD-2's had more of a sense of "air" and slightly more treble energy, then I would be prepared to say that they are my absolute favourites. But they don't hit that target well enough to my liking in those 2 areas for me to pass final judgment today. We'll see how Week 2 with the LCD-2s goes...

I think this really where amping comes in.  I've heard the LCD2 on numerous amps and it never sounds bad, but it changes drastically in quality, specifically in Soundstage and treble presentation.  On my TTVJ 307a, it is perfect in terms of treble response.  I will probably be at the upcoming canjam with my entire abode.  On my Larocco PRii, which despite being a portable amp, is one of the best amps I've ever owned for under 2 grand, I found the presentation of the LCD2 a bit caved in.  I think if paired with the right system, the LCD2 excels far beyond the T1 or HD800.  I've heard the HD800 on several amps including the 307a and B52, it never had close to the quality of the LCD2 on my 307a.  I've yet to hear the LCD2 balanced, waiting for my cable from APS.  But even unbalanced, the LCD2 beats the HD800 and T1 in balanced mode and compares alongside the R10 in balanced mode.  The HD800 has some special strengths which make it very desirable to me for certain musics.  If you're ever in New York City area, I'll show the system I have, between my DAC and Amp, it seems to do things to the LCD2 which I think few have heard.  I'm just so ecstatic about the pairing, I'm literally tempted to give up my search for more headphones, though I was always planning to get a great stax system.....If I spend 7grand on a monster Stax system it'd better match the LCD2, though I sincerely don't think it will because I heard a decent Omega system a week ago and it wasn't in the same playing field.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:20 PM Post #62 of 89

Quote:
I think this really where amping comes in.  I've heard the LCD2 on numerous amps and it never sounds bad, but it changes drastically in quality, specifically in Soundstage and treble presentation.  On my TTVJ 307a, it is perfect in terms of treble response.  I will probably be at the upcoming canjam with my entire abode.  On my Larocco PRii, which despite being a portable amp, is one of the best amps I've ever owned for under 2 grand, I found the presentation of the LCD2 a bit caved in.  I think if paired with the right system, the LCD2 excels far beyond the T1 or HD800.  I've heard the HD800 on several amps including the 307a and B52, it never had close to the quality of the LCD2 on my 307a.  I've yet to hear the LCD2 balanced, waiting for my cable from APS.  But even unbalanced, the LCD2 beats the HD800 and T1 in balanced mode and compares alongside the R10 in balanced mode.  The HD800 has some special strengths which make it very desirable to me for certain musics.  If you're ever in New York City area, I'll show the system I have, between my DAC and Amp, it seems to do things to the LCD2 which I think few have heard.  I'm just so ecstatic about the pairing, I'm literally tempted to give up my search for more headphones, though I was always planning to get a great stax system.....If I spend 7grand on a monster Stax system it'd better match the LCD2, though I sincerely don't think it will because I heard a decent Omega system a week ago and it wasn't in the same playing field.

Hi Dave:

Don't get me wrong...it's not like they don't have a sense of air, but in comparison to what I'm used to they don't. The recessed treble I think is the culprit and the graphs really help support this. I appreciate that there is ZERO strident treble with the LCD-2s, but I don't find that with the T1s, but do get a bit more air.

I do get more air (very recently) by using the 192kHz upsampling on my DAC over the 96kHz I have been using.

I'm just saying that they're not perfect....but man they are truly great cans! I'll definitely let you know if I'm in NYC, it would be great to get together and compare notes and hear that system of yours!

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #64 of 89
Very nice discussion going on in here, I really enjoy it.  I didn't vote because I only tried the HE5 and HD800 as new headphones during the last two years.  The HD800 is pretty impressive but I felt that the treble is a bit aggressive for my liking.  I think an upgrade cable should be able to cure this.  The HE5 is also nice but not as refined as the HD800.  I really hope I get to audition the Audeze LCD-2 soon. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #65 of 89
Hey Purk!

The HD800 is such a great headphone with classical.  The HE-5 was good too but kept breaking for me so I didn't keep it.  The T1 are sorta like an HD800 beefed up for more than just classical and acoustic.

The LCD2, are for me.......the best sounding headphone I own or have ever heard and I know that you have a good amp so I know that you would be hearing close to their full potential so definitely try one.  Compare it against your R10s and get back to me.  They are in many ways better I think

Sep 17, 2010 at 9:18 AM Post #66 of 89
I voted for the JH-13s, I am a bit biased because I just favor IEMs for some reason. The HD 800s are great but feel they lack in quality on certain genres. The T1 I only heard for an hour or two and was impressed just not floored. If the T1 had the soundstage of  the 800s they probably would have taken my spot over the JH-13s.

Never had a chance to listen to the LCD-2s 
confused.gif

I find it a bit unfair to have the stax even listed, they make such nicer phones.

Sep 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #67 of 89
Yes, one of these day I'll try out the LCD-2.  Maybe I'll sell the HD800 and get the LCD-2. Though I did tell myself not to make any more purchase for awhile after I got the Qualia.  It has been fun reading in this thread for sure.  Do you still keep your bass heavy R10?

Quote:
Hey Purk!

The HD800 is such a great headphone with classical.  The HE-5 was good too but kept breaking for me so I didn't keep it.  The T1 are sorta like an HD800 beefed up for more than just classical and acoustic.

The LCD2, are for me.......the best sounding headphone I own or have ever heard and I know that you have a good amp so I know that you would be hearing close to their full potential so definitely try one.  Compare it against your R10s and get back to me.  They are in many ways better I think

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #68 of 89

I have had the LCD 2 for only a few days, (I am waiting for Drew to finish the Blue dragon balanced cable,,I can't wait to listen to the LCD 2 balanced) but it is my favorite headphone so far,,The HD 800 got a little,, I mean a little..sterile after awhile. The PS 1000 is fun  (I liked it so much that I had Drew balance them for me) I have only heard the 3  .. 

Do it...
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Yes, one of these day I'll try out the LCD-2. 

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:10 PM Post #70 of 89

Quote:
Yes, one of these day I'll try out the LCD-2.  Maybe I'll sell the HD800 and get the LCD-2. Though I did tell myself not to make any more purchase for awhile after I got the Qualia.  It has been fun reading in this thread for sure.  Do you still keep your bass heavy R10?

Yeah I still have my R10 #1126.  I'm thinking I will never sell them:)

Sep 22, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #71 of 89
Vote for JH16 because of the ability of making bad records sound good.
I own ED8,T1,HD800 ,have heard JH16(The Demo one,I havn't purchased  them yet because I still wait for the  JH3A impression ), PS1000 several times . I've actually found ,that  the HD800 is the best Among these Cans,but it is a very picky can and depends so much on the Source.So the Vote go for JH16
never heard the JH13(but I donn't think I will like it,if it is JH16-Bass+detail+mid) and LCD2 (which I really wanna try and I think I will like this can,but I don't think it will best the HD800 anyway)

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #72 of 89
Whiplash Reference X Recabled Sony Qualias both in balanced mode thru the Apache or s/e paired to a maxxed Cary SLI80.  Overall most impressive, there are a few specific qualities other cans outperform these, but overall nothing I have heard so far comes close the overall musical enjoyment they provide for me.  I know they are not made in the past two years, but they are new to me.

Within the strict criteria of the OP, I'd have to say TWagged JH13 or 16 Pros, (depending on system/source pairing and genre).

Sep 22, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #73 of 89

Quote:
Very nice discussion going on in here, I really enjoy it.  I didn't vote because I only tried the HE5 and HD800 as new headphones during the last two years.  The HD800 is pretty impressive but I felt that the treble is a bit aggressive for my liking.  I think an upgrade cable should be able to cure this.  The HE5 is also nice but not as refined as the HD800.  I really hope I get to audition the Audeze LCD-2 soon. 

IMHO, Sennheiser should be ashamed to supply such a low-quality cable with a top-of-the line headphone, but they are hardly alone in this, to be fair.  You should have heard one properly cabled and matched.  Quite a difference in capabilities.  But then again, you have the Qualia..which also suffers from a similar condition, but at least it's easier to amp.

At least Ultrasone seems to be  paying attention to the cable of the Edition 10, if their Tokyo press conference was to be believed at face value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back