Best headphone for rock music under $300
Sep 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

goodoldman

New Head-Fier
I'll be using a Denon amp and a Denon CD player, but not a headphone amp, a normal amp for big speakers. It does have a socket for headphones though, which makes me think I can also use it with a good pair of headphones and get good results. Am I right?

If so, my budget for this is $300. The music I listen to consists mainly of rock music, but many kinds of it.

These include hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, and some softer stuff.

Such as,

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Deep Purple, Simon and Garfunkel, America, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Leonard Cohen, Beatles, Scorpions, Bob Dylan, Neil Young...

I am guessing that there is no headphone that is excelent in every genre and evey range, but excelence is not what I want anyway. I already have a nice pair of Focal speakers which satisfy me more than enough. I will buy headphones because I just want a new point of view and a different way to experience the music. Something fun to play with and also get pleasure from.

And if you say that it will make all the difference in the world and I'll be totally amazed and feel like in heaven, I can go up to $500, but that will certainly be pushing the limits, which may not lead to very nice conversations in the family, if you know what I mean.

So I'd like to know which headphone would be the best-buy for me, lots and lots of thanks in advance for your replies.

Sep 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #5 of 19

sennheiser hd-650 
Quote:
I'll be using a Denon amp and a Denon CD player, but not a headphone amp, a normal amp for big speakers. It does have a socket for headphones though, which makes me think I can also use it with a good pair of headphones and get good results. Am I right?

If so, my budget for this is $300. The music I listen to consists mainly of rock music, but many kinds of it.

These include hard rock, classic rock, progressive rock, and some softer stuff.

Such as,

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Deep Purple, Simon and Garfunkel, America, Uriah Heep, Led Zeppelin, Jethro Tull, Leonard Cohen, Beatles, Scorpions, Bob Dylan, Neil Young...

I am guessing that there is no headphone that is excelent in every genre and evey range, but excelence is not what I want anyway. I already have a nice pair of Focal speakers which satisfy me more than enough. I will buy headphones because I just want a new point of view and a different way to experience the music. Something fun to play with and also get pleasure from.

And if you say that it will make all the difference in the world and I'll be totally amazed and feel like in heaven, I can go up to $500, but that will certainly be pushing the limits, which may not lead to very nice conversations in the family, if you know what I mean.

So I'd like to know which headphone would be the best-buy for me, lots and lots of thanks in advance for your replies.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 19

Quote:

These will push you closer to $450, but Grado RS-1.  They are regarded as among the best headphone for rock for a good reason.  They sound noticeably better with rock than my HF-1, which in turn sound better than SR225.  Which is why you should just skip the lower Grados and go straight to the top.  To my ears, even the SR225 beat my Denon D5000 and D7000, at less than 1/3 the price.

Sep 22, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 19
1. Gamma1
2. Mini3
3. $100ish IEM of your choice

Bam you have an entire system for well under $400. Getting only headphones is just a terrible waste of money. Getting headphones and an amp isn't really any better. A good source is the foundation of a good system. Period.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #14 of 19

Hi, I don't get you. You want an open phone and you're in a quiet place? You'll disturb people around with its sound leaking and you'll also get disturbed from hearing them saying.
DT770 is a closed phone. I'm using it in my office and so far no one complains about it. It has decent sound isolation.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but I think I want something open-backed, not a closed design. I'll always be in a quiet place, and there won't be anybody to disturb.

Sep 23, 2010 at 5:32 AM Post #15 of 19

Quote:

Hi, I don't get you. You want an open phone and you're in a quiet place? You'll disturb people around with its sound leaking and you'll also get disturbed from hearing them saying.
DT770 is a closed phone. I'm using it in my office and so far no one complains about it. It has decent sound isolation.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply but I think I want something open-backed, not a closed design. I'll always be in a quiet place, and there won't be anybody to disturb.

He said he'll be using them in quiet surroundings (so no need for isolation), and that there is no one in those places to disturb (no need to worry about sound leakage), hence why he wants open headphones.

Think you must have just miss-read his post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back