Best Headphone/amp combo no price
Sep 25, 2002 at 10:03 PM Post #31 of 50
I think its hard to judge the worth of Nik's system having never heard it. Personally I perfer headphones over speakers...
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

ps. Tim I stole your sig. Biggups to 8-track haha. Although I've never even touched one before...
tongue.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 10:18 PM Post #32 of 50
I second both dgs and TimSchirmer. If I wouldn't have the Earmax Pro, I would be happy with the Corda to drive the HD 600 (with a good cable). For portable use and/or as an interesting alternative on the same level, the fascinating Etymotic ER-4s.

The great accuracy and clearness of the Corda/HD 600 combo on the one hand, the smoothness, elegance and space if the EMP replaces the Corda.

(BTW: I'm waiting eagerly on my Corda changed to «Blue» by the Hands of KurtW.)

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:15 PM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
D66? Bass heavy?

The D66 I heard was upper/midbass heavy (with little low bass). I was not impressed.

Quote:

Your last sentence - by what reason?

I already gave my reasoning above; I think the DT250-80 are better headphones than the D66, the HD280, and the DJ1200, unless you're going to be using them for studio reference work, in which case the HD 280 Pro are better. Of course, my preferences are based entirely on sound -- I don't factor "looks" into it at all, not even subconsiously. Perhaps that's the difference.

Quote:

You're guessing, aren't you?

No.

(Although I am curious how we got talking about these headphones in a thread about "best hp/amp combo no price"
wink.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:39 PM Post #34 of 50
There still really isnt a budget, but my focus has changed as ive been reading the responses from my initial post. Im no longer in search of the best Home setup, but moreso in search of a great portable setup and something for computer use. I was considering Beyer 250-80's because ive heard they are best computer no-amp phones. As for the portable setup, i almost definately want to go with ety 4s (or p with conversion cable) and a nice Portable (actually portable) amp. So the choice has really come down to, which amp? Of course i would like to go with a meta42, price is right, and from what ive read, its by far the best portable amp. Another (unmentioed) requirement is the speed in which i can get it. There arent any places (i know of) that sell them constructed, so i would have to put out a request for someone to build one for me. I would be happy to construct one, but ive heard the components are hard to get, and i cant even find a link to help. So in the end it comes down to a porta corda or a TAH. The corda has generally been better received than the TAH, but they appear to be basically equal. So now the question is, which is a better pair, ety4s/porta corda, or ety4s/TAH. Still, any additions or modifications would help
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #35 of 50
Anyone got an opinion on this?

http://www.fixup.net/products/pktamp/smini.htm

This dude's promising audiophile quality.

And nice save, MacDEF - but if you have an unbiased memory for sounds you'd be sprouting a different tune. The bias works the other way too. We'll leave it there, until I get the 7506's...

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:30 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Anyone got an opinion on this?

http://www.fixup.net/products/pktamp/smini.htm

This dude's promising audiophile quality.

And nice save, MacDEF - but if you have an unbiased memory for sounds you'd be sprouting a different tune. The bias works the other way too. We'll leave it there, until I get the 7506's...

there was a thread about these amps a week or so ago. . . I don't think anyone's heard one yet.

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:18 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
there was a thread about these amps a week or so ago. . . I don't think anyone's heard one yet.

Not true. Go to the amps forumn and read about it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Sep 26, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #40 of 50
i think, if u wanna decide between 4p with cable vs just 4s and u can spare 50$, go with the 4p+cable combo. u get two different sounds, plus if u ever get tired of lugging around an amp and an extra cable with ur portable source, u can easily switch to using just the 4p.

hehe, i think i'm ready to order my 4p's too...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 7:37 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

And nice save, MacDEF - but if you have an unbiased memory for sounds you'd be sprouting a different tune.

I have no clue what that means, but I'll bet it isn't nice
wink.gif

Quote:

The bias works the other way too.

No it doesn't; I don't mark headphones down because they look good
wink.gif
The way a headphone looks simply has no affect on whether or not I consider it a good performer or a good value.

Sep 26, 2002 at 2:32 PM Post #42 of 50
macdef, i gotta ask u this, what's with all the robots? at first i thought it was just a cute avatar, but then i clicked on ur link to the robot gallery and, chuckling, really had my curiousity piqued.

btw, sorry for hijacking this thread, but i had to ask...
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 6:48 PM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
macdef, i gotta ask u this, what's with all the robots?

It's cuz he has a tin ear
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally posted by taipeileviathan
macdef, i gotta ask u this, what's with all the robots? at first i thought it was just a cute avatar, but then i clicked on ur link to the robot gallery and, chuckling, really had my curiousity piqued.

My original avatar was of a robot wearing what looked to be red headphones -- seemed appropriate
biggrin.gif
I got bored one day and decided to change it. People liked the change. It snowballed from there
wink.gif
So every once in a while I change it. Someone once asked if I had kept all of my old avatars, so I put up that page.

Sep 27, 2002 at 8:25 PM Post #45 of 50
hmm... why are red headphones inappropriate?
confused.gif
i love the braveheart robot tho... that's one of my fav movies of all time. william wallace was born, btw, sometime in january... so i think u should put up a braveheart robot for the latter half of the month, after u've had a new-year-celebrating robot...

... and of course, for the purposes of this thread, u should also have a robot sporting the best headphone/amp combo no price.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back