Best HD800 Amp
Jun 2, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #316 of 654

Quote:
Interesting. Then I guess that combo would not work extraordinaryily on the HD800. But is there any amp that kills the treble harshness? Maybe roll off the highs a bit because that is really bothering me. I know the GS1 doesn't do it since it is still ever as present in that.

I get horrible sibilance in almost every song that has any sort of facst vocals. Maybe poor recording but still. Can't have a headphone that makes you hate your music right?

Listen to JaZZ!  I can attest that these headphones clearly need some time to cool down.

Jun 3, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #317 of 654

Quote:
Interesting. Then I guess that combo would not work extraordinaryily on the HD800. But is there any amp that kills the treble harshness? Maybe roll off the highs a bit because that is really bothering me. I know the GS1 doesn't do it since it is still ever as present in that.

I get horrible sibilance in almost every song that has any sort of facst vocals. Maybe poor recording but still. Can't have a headphone that makes you hate your music right?

All treble harshness disappeared when I upgraded the powercord of the Lehmann amp

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #318 of 654

Quote:
No, I don't think the Lehmann Black Cube Linear qualifies, even though it's quite good. I happen to have one, it was one of the first amps I got back in 2005 and I still have it.
smile.gif

I think the Zana Deux is definitely better, and maybe a Corda Symphony. I recently got a balanced Beta 22, but I don't have a balanced HD800 cable yet so haven't tried it with the HD800.

I understand budget is limited (whose isn't?) and you're looking for a good value (like everyone else). It can be annoying when people recommend expensive amps. But the HD800 is a good headphone precisely because it is sensitive to upstream components, and improves when those components are better.

It's not easy to make a good recommendation without knowing how much experience you have and what your perspective is on the differences between the amps we're talking about. If I went out on the street and just grabbed the first five passersby, I would bet that all five would say the difference between the ZD and Lehmann BCL is very small, maybe even indistinguishable. But for me, and some other crazy people in this thread, the differences can seem quite large. When one becomes accustomed to a specific sound, and then make a small change, the change can seem very large. It could be something like just a tiny bit more upper bass quantity, so drums sound just a little bit fuller-bodied.

Having said all that, I think one can be quite happy with a HD800 > Lehmann BCL > Lavry DA10 system. If I had to make a change here, I would improve the source. Yes, Team Source First people are especially crazy.
wink.gif
Feed the BCL as good a signal as possible, and it'll do a decent job. You can even drop the HD800 for an HD650 or HD600 instead. I know this is an HD800 thread, but someone has to say it.

Elphas, you seem to have a good idea of the HD800 cans so you can perhaps help answer my question.

I'm going to buy the HD800 and I need advice on the headphone amplifier.
The thing is that I really want to go from USB (lossless files on computers) -> Headphone Amplifier -> HD800

When I looked at the market a while ago the "Lehmann Audio Black Cube Linear USB" looked like a candidate.
Since the amp seemed to be endorsed by Sennheiser and also is of a size where you can move it around without much hazel (don't want portable, just movable).

So can any of you recommend good amplifiers that can be between a computer sending lossless via USB and a pair of HD800?
Preferably something that can be placed on a desk without making the 24" monitor look small :wink:

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #321 of 654

Quote:

So can any of you recommend good amplifiers that can be between a computer sending lossless via USB and a pair of HD800?

You don't mention DAC, but as you may well know, the Lehmann is available as a DAC plus amp version. So, for a slim package solution it could certainly be a top candidate link in that chain.

I personally like the DNA Sonett better than the Lehmann with the HD800, but that's a matter of preference for first and foremost an organic presentation, and not to dispute the quality of the Lehmann. Some will likely take the Lehmann over the Sonett, for one or more reasons; portability and desk footprint could definitely be reasons. The Lehmann is much smaller.

Jun 8, 2010 at 7:37 PM Post #322 of 654

Preferably something that can be placed on a desk without making the 24" monitor look small :wink:

I like my HD 800 with my Corda Symphony.

Jun 9, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #323 of 654
I think you will find a lot of amps that do well with the HD800, as long as they have the power to drive it porperly and get the bass out of it.
The PS Audio GCHA is something that would compare to the BCL if you ask me and it also has USB input.
The DAC's in those units don't compare to a high end source though.
The BCL probably is a fine amp, but much of the hype around it is because Sennheiser introduced the HD800 at a show with the BCL.
That doesn't necessarily mean it's the best combo though.

I think if you listen to a GCHA or BCL you will love the sound but as soon as you start comparing it to stuff higher up the food chain you will find there is better, usually at a price. If you never do the comparison you won't know and won't miss it.

I do still wonder where the DNA Sonett would fit in that picture though. With all I read about it my guess would be that it could be higher in SQ than the price makes one think. I won't buy one to try it out though since I have already some top amps.

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #324 of 654
Thanks for the replies!
Well I don't need to find "the best amp", just want a chain from the digital signal to HD 800 that won't shortchange the headphones or lossless source.
As long the components I pick are good enough to make it more of a subjective matter if they are "the best in the price range" I'm happy. :)

How does this chain look:
USB -> HRT Music Streamer II -> BCL -> HD 800

Anything that doesn't fit in that picture or could be replaced with something clearly superior?
On a personal note this would be the first real high quality system I own, so I'll probably love it even if there are better.
smile_phones.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #325 of 654
Depends on how much you want to spend and these prices vary in different parts of the world as well. I think the BCL is about $800?

I had to make a choice like that as well a year ago, here are the choices I would make in a reasonable price range.
I did buy the GCHA back then and it's a choice I'd make again. The only reason I'm selling it is because I upgraded to amps at double or triple the price.
The Headamp Gilmore GS-1 at $900 is something I would also consider.
A step up might be the SPL Auditor. It is the same amp as the Phonitor I have but without the crossfeed. Very natural sounding and lots of power, read the opinions on the Phonitor/Auditor here on HF, people love it and so do I. Price varies below $1000. In Europe it can be found for €650.
A bit higher in price and you would get the DNA Sonett. Price is $1200. Will cost a bunch more to import it if you live in Europe though.

I won't speak about the DAC, I have no experience with that since I went straight for a top DAC.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #326 of 654
Don't forget the HeadRoom Desktop Ultra.  I find the crossfeed tangoes very well with the HD800's.  This makes for an excellent combination and the combo sound so 'right' to me.

Jun 9, 2010 at 7:50 AM Post #327 of 654
Or a DAC/amp combo like the Grace m902 which gets a lot of good reviews as well and has a nice DAC on board. But then we're getting into the $1500 price range, just like the Headroom. No need for a separate DAC with the Grace though.

So many options! 
I just received my SQ-N100 and hooked the HD800 up for half an hour after letting the tubes warm up. Magic! 
atsmile.gif

And this one drives the K1000 without effort through it's speaker outputs.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #328 of 654
Living in Europe (Sweden) if that helps figure out relative prices better.

Would it be viable to substitute the BCL with a Luxman P-1u in the chain above, or is the DAC not good enough?

The Corda Symphony looks nice, but doesn't it suffer from the same Amp/DAC problem as the BCL USB?

HeadRoom Desktop Ultra looks really nice and isn't really much more expensive than what I would pay for a BCL with USB.

Curious about the SPL Auditor since it's balanced, would that require a change of DAC as well, or only cables?

Thanks for all the answers!
smile_phones.gif

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #329 of 654

Quote:
Living in Europe (Sweden) if that helps figure out relative prices better.

Would it be viable to substitute the BCL with a Luxman P-1u in the chain above, or is the DAC not good enough?

The Corda Symphony looks nice, but doesn't it suffer from the same Amp/DAC problem as the BCL USB?

HeadRoom Desktop Ultra looks really nice and isn't really much more expensive than what I would pay for a BCL with USB.

Curious about the SPL Auditor since it's balanced, would that require a change of DAC as well, or only cables?

Thanks for all the answers!
smile_phones.gif

If you have the chance to visit Stockholm you can visit AudioConcept and audition the DNA Sonett and the Lehmann Linear and if you visit ReferenceAudio you can try out the SPL Auditor and the SPL Phonitor.

Jun 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #330 of 654
If you live in Sweden you're better off skipping the US gear that has no distributor here as shipping costs, VAT, import tax and a bit of administrative costs will drive the price up considerably. Also remember that European prices do include VAT, US prices do not.

I think the Auditor is a nice choice at an affordable price. You either need a dac with balanced outputs or get balanced to single ended cables or adaptors.
The P-1u is in quite a different price range, about 2900€ here in Belgium. One the one hand it would improve sound, on the other hand it will let you hear flaws in your system more easily.

Don't want to push you in any direction but if you should be interested in a GCHA which has balanced, unbalanced and usb input (dac onboard), then I have one for sale here for 500€ all costs included. I might sell off the Phonitor as well since I have the two Luxman amps now, but I still need to think about it for a week or so. It's a black one, you can see it in my avatar. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back