Best Gear Under $500
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #31 of 48
Meze's 99 Classics and 99 Neo headphones!
99C goes for $309 while the new 99N sells for $250.

Honestly, you'll have to look long and hard to find any headphones that sound as good for less than $500... IMHO the next better headphones would cost you $700-800 (Mr. Speakers AEON).

I assume you are talking of closed headphones only?

Apr 20, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #32 of 48
Meze's 99 Classics and 99 Neo headphones!
99C goes for $309 while the new 99N sells for $250.

Honestly, you'll have to look long and hard to find any headphones that sound as good for less than $500... IMHO the next better headphones would cost you $700-800 (Mr. Speakers AEON).
I assume you are talking of closed headphones only?

Well... since both Meze headphones are closed, I was referring to the AEONs at the next level up for closed.  Trying to keep it an apples to apples comparison.

The Night Hawks, if you managed to snatch one of the discontinued "liquid wood" color ones for $350 or so, are very good open (or semi-open) headphones.

The HiFiMAN HE-400i are great value for planar headphones with open back. Price fluctuates wildly between $250 and $399 in the last few months. For $299 (or lower) it is an amazing value!

Apr 22, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #33 of 48
You know I actually read that on a review of the black label recently, the user was essentially saying the same thing about the amp on the idsd bl.

I would've done the same thing if I were in your position. My other principle is dedicated components over combo's. Although I will admit there have been some exceptions, i.e. Idsd.

Just checking in to report that using the iDSD in DAC only mode (connected to a Schiit SYS passive preamp) sounds very different than using it as a DAC/preamp. Its amp was definitely doing weird things to the sound.

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #34 of 48
Seems to be a bit of negativity around the idsd here which I find odd.
Having owned the idsd micro, idsd micro BL and mojo (twice) I can honestly say that the black label and mojo are on par to my ears for sound quality.
The original idsd was a bit lifeless however the black, while on paper people claim minor changes, is tuned with a much smoother warmer tuning.

The mojo and idsd sound different to be sure. But one sounding better than the other I would hesitate to claim. And I am one of the mojos biggest advocates.

If I could get the air, stage and bass of the idsd with the mids from the mojo I would be stoked.

Well you can I suppose to some extent as you can use mojo into the idsd. But it's not quite the same.

On a budget/value for money take it's hard to pass up:

DAC/amp
Odac/objective amp
Modi(of your choice)/vali2/magni)
Idsd black
Mojo

Open cans:
Kiss Porta Pro (everyone should have one)
Ath r70x
Hd700(price at the moment is crazy, though I am not a fan of the tuning personally)
Hd600/650 with crazy sales of late

Closed cans:frowning2:harder on a budget as there seems to be cheap average close cans or crazy expensive ones)
Ath M50x
Until last year mad dog 3.2 or Alpha dogs were on my recommendation lists

Apr 22, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #35 of 48
Just checking in to report that using the iDSD in DAC only mode (connected to a Schiit SYS passive preamp) sounds very different than using it as a DAC/preamp. Its amp was definitely doing weird things to the sound.

Yes it does. Particularly if using the 3d and bass features as well. In direct mode it's DAC out so bypasses the analogue switches on the front. In pre amp mode these switches when using the RCA out are tuned for speakers and sound horrendous with headphones.

I did this as a joke and it bent my mind.

Jun 9, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #37 of 48
Infinity better than mojo?

Having had the Mojo, the Pulse Infinity X and the GO2a Infinity I would say that they rank (As a DAC) Pulse>Mojo>GO2a Infinity

As a single unit (which they can all be used as): Mojo>Pulse>GO2a Infinity

However as the Pulse is well out of this price discussion I will compare the mojo and GO2a Infinity.

I prefer the Mojo however can understand why others prefer the GO2.
The mojo to me sounds more effortless, but also can be a little on the dull side for some.
THe GO2a Infinity is more aggressive, but also more open and spacious than the Mojo.

To be clear the GO2 i is not as aggressive as the original GO.

Both sound fantastic. I am currently using a GO2a-I with my iSine20 and absolutely love it, though its a little too powerful and volume control is problematic (I listen at 16/100 on low gain).
To be honest I would be more than happy with either, however having previously owned the Mojo and knowing how well it performs I am looking to sell my GO2a-I soon and buying either an iDSD black or MOjo again (owned both previously).

I would rate the iDSD Black > than both mojo and GO for my tastes. THough the mojo does have something special in its mids that is missing from both the iDSD and Go.

Jul 12, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #38 of 48
Anyone know any good daps under $500, new or used?

I am currently looking at the opus #1, the Cayin N3.

I really want to get the opus #2 as an upgrade to whatever dap I start with.

If there is a way i can to go straight to the #2 I will.

Jul 12, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #39 of 48
I rather enjoy the Shanling M2s, and M5. I picked up the M5 used for less than $300, and the M2s is $199. I thoroughly enjoy the Shanling slightly warm house sound. that said, the Opus #1 is brilliant, and still may add one to the stable. I would rate the N3 behind the Shanlings and the Opus, but still quite decent.

Jul 13, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #40 of 48

Another good option is the FiiO X5 3rd gen. It goes for $399 new, really nice design with 2 x microSD slots, and gets good reviews overall.
I do not own it, but own couple older FiiO DAPs, and like their sound. Will definitely upgrade to this one if I catch a good sale...

Jul 13, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #41 of 48
Opus #1 as people have already said

JDS Labs EL and OL DAC's, all the DAC you need if you don't listen to DSD or need balanced outputs.

Feliks Audio Espressivo a very impressive hand made OTL tube amp

Jul 13, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #42 of 48

For a large DAP with basic playback functionality only (dac function doesn't work well for me) I like Opus#1's sound enough that I probably would not consider anything much more expensive (maybe WM1A, being Sony fanboy).

But if you're really fixated on high-end, suggest saving for that- always possible the price may decrease or there's a new version in the meantime. Cayin N3 looks really good for the price though, lots of functionality.

Some other DAPs in this price can think of:
Pioneer XDP100R is similarly discounted now and I think has full android function. Onkyo and Pioneer also have their new Rubato and XDP30, smaller basic playback DAP at similar price. Aune M1S gets a lot of good notes as well. Can get well regarded slightly older DAP like used iBasso DX90/80 and older fiio players like X5ii for pretty good prices now.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #43 of 48
Another good option is the FiiO X5 3rd gen. It goes for $399 new, really nice design with 2 x microSD slots, and gets good reviews overall.
I do not own it, but own couple older FiiO DAPs, and like their sound. Will definitely upgrade to this one if I catch a good sale...

I own and reviewed the x5iii, and would recommend it, too. If pure sound quality is what you are going for, then I would recommend the #1 and M5. If you want very good sound and extra bells & whistles such as streaming and surfing; the x5iii does adequately well. There are several of the x5iii for sale here, I believe. I do like all three, but me preference would be M5>#1>x5iii. Others prefer the #1, and it is a stunning unit.

Jul 14, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #44 of 48
Thanks for all the responses!

I have a few pieces to research now. I forgot to mention I am looking for a dap with 2.5mm bal out, which I dont think any of the suggestions were lacking. I have a few items I am selling then I will see where I stand. I will probably stick to my $500 spending rule, in which case the opus 1 and M5 sound like the top contenders. That is, unless I can get a deal on a trade for the opus 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back