Best Gear Under $500
Apr 18, 2017 at 3:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Blackground

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All!

Introduction

I wanted to create a thread that was a reflection of my current head-fi experience. I personally took it among-st my self to challenge the law of diminishing returns.

For me, the number is $500. I started this journey a little over a year ago and since have not spent more than $500 on a single piece of gear.

I can say that, I actually am very satisfied with my returns given the vast market of "punching way above its price point" products. I am curious if anyone else has done the same or holds similar philosophies??

At the end of the day, i'll be honest, I think we all just want to learn about more gear and share our experiences with those that we have acquired. 

LET THE SHARING BEGIN!

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2 of 48
I am currently in the market for a dap. What is the highest quality dap available under $500?

My short list

1. Opus #1
2. Ibasso dx80
3. Cayin N3

There are many more I have considered however, what I do require is a 2.5mm balanced, good battery life, usb otg, wireless capabilities would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 48
I recently acquired a Ifi Idsd BL for $400 through Adorama. I don't think you can get any better performance for under $500 in a transportable combo. I typically use it as a desktop dac/amp at the office and then switch to portable when I leave.

So far I am loving what I hear, feel, see! 
L3000.gif

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #4 of 48
If this thread is just about DACs, amps, and DAPs, I think the Chord Mojo is by far the best under $500 and sounds a lot better than the iFi micro iDSD. On a side note, I got my iDSD well below retail since I bought it used.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #5 of 48
  If this thread is just about DACs, amps, and DAPs, I think the Chord Mojo is by far the best under $500 and sounds a lot better than the iFi micro iDSD. On a side note, I got my iDSD well below retail since I bought it used.

I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in the occasional iem or headphone.

That is what I keep hearing, they are quite popular on here. I still have yet to try a mojo with my current set up. My local shop has them in stock and I will probably compare the two in the next few weeks. 

Do you have the original idsd or the black label?  As I recall there were a few improvements that were made on the black label.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 48
  I recently acquired a Ifi Idsd BL for $400 through Adorama. I don't think you can get any better performance for under $500 in a transportable combo. I typically use it as a desktop dac/amp at the office and then switch to portable when I leave.

So far I am loving what I hear, feel, see! 
L3000.gif

2nd this. Love my new BL. Can't beat it for the $400 we payed! 

I think my X5iii payed in full price @ $400 is a good deal as well. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #8 of 48
  I wouldn't be opposed to throwing in the occasional iem or headphone.

That is what I keep hearing, they are quite popular on here. I still have yet to try a mojo with my current set up. My local shop has them in stock and I will probably compare the two in the next few weeks. 

Do you have the original idsd or the black label?  As I recall there were a few improvements that were made on the black label.

I have the original. I believe the BL only has minor improvements. But look how low the original is on the used market and it may alter your perception of the BL's value.

Okay, here are a few of my thoughts on other stuff under $500. Bear in mind these are just my subjective opinions.

1. The ultra-budget Koss KTXPRO1 is 90% as good as any headphone. (I think the refinements of even the best headphones only account for a small percentage of the sound beyond what the KTX can do.)
  2. Used STAX are the best headphones you can get in this price range.
  3. My JBL LSR305 speakers sound far more realistic to me than any headphone.

(To see a list of headphones I have owned and heard, check out my profile.)

As for comparing things...I suspect that the amp in the iDSD is coloring the sound even when I use it as a DAC/preamp for speakers, so I bought a Schiit SYS passive preamp to level that playing field when comparing most DACs and DAC/amps. (Chord DAC/amps are an exception because the amps in them are in the DAC's analog output stage, so they can't be bypassed and are more akin to the amps that dedicated DACs use to send the signal to an external amp.)

One advantage the iDSD has over the Mojo is much higher maximum output power...which is only really relevant for very hard to drive headphones or when you're doing extreme bass boosts, which requires a lot more power than normal.

Also, I've only used the Mojo as a DAC/amp for headphones. (Never used it with an external headphone amp or speakers.)

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 48
Great idea for a thread.

Years ago I set a $5XX limit for any single piece of gear I purchase and all of my audio equipment has been that price or less. A few pieces were open box or clearance though to meet my target. The one time I went over budget (for a $1K tube amp) it was majorly defective and returned for refund.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #10 of 48
Really is a great idea for a thread! I'm not currently lusting after anything in the $500 neighborhood, but I can talk about 2 equipment purchases that were "home runs" for me:

Lake People G109-A headphone amp (just under $500): This was my 1st "serious" HP amp (prior to this I used a FiiO E10K--great product/different category). Did a lot of research...was drawn to the Violectric V200, but that was way more $$ than I wanted to spend--plus then I had just one serious headphone (Fidelio X2's), and they hardly need arc-welding power. So about a year ago I ordered one of the last of the "A" ("Anniversary") iterations of the G109 amp. Powered it on, no warm-up or burn-in, plugged in the X2's...heaven. One of the best audio experiences of my life...felt like my ears were being driven in a big audio limousine.

HiVi Swan M200 MKIIIs (just under $500): I had an old NHT 2.1 desktop speakers + sub system for over 10 years, and finally last year, decided to upgrade. I found the NHT desktops to be very good technically (great design), but a touch cold in tonality. Did a lot of research, walking a razor's edge between powered studio monitors (many, but few said to sound particularly good for pure music listening) and powered audio speakers (many, but mostly junky computer stuff that doesn't sound good). There were very few things that seemed to fit the bill. One was the Swans. Ordered them, set them up, and immediately it was apparent these were a step up for me. A great sounding pair of speakers and play extremely well with a sub.

Not everything works out in this crazy hobby, but when it does, life it good.

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:43 PM Post #11 of 48
Been looking for a great amp for $500 or less.

May end up getting an amp only Jotenheim since the Mjolnir 2 is over budget.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a good, balanced tube (or hybrid) amp in this price range?

Apr 18, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 48
  Been looking for a great amp for $500 or less.

May end up getting an amp only Jotenheim since the Mjolnir 2 is over budget.

I know it's a long shot, but does anyone know of a good, balanced tube (or hybrid) amp in this price range?

I definitely do--but it'll be used, and even then, hard to get it below $500. But it's really great--the Cavalli Liquid Carbon. Balanced, lots of power (I use it to drive ZMF Omni/Ori, a very power hungry HP), and IMO a really wonderful sound.

Not a treble cannon. Not a detail champ. But very musical w/truly fine bass, soundstaging, and a surprisingly big sound (coming out of a small box).

I'm very impressed by the LC. Mind you, I'm comparing it to 1 amp that costs 2/3s what it cost new (Audio GD SA-31SE); and another that cost 4+X what it cost (V281)...and it is in the running all the way.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #13 of 48
You read my mind (guess it's more likely to happen in this thread with all the crazy pricing going on elsewhere).

I've actually tried ordering the LC twice. Missed out on the first run at $599 (only time it was in range for a new one) due to an emergency and cancelled my order for the second run because of the price increase.

Lately been thinking about making a third attempt at one. Still haven't heard it yet but everything I've read suggests the LC might be the most acclaimed balanced amp in the transportable size I'd need. Just not sure it's worth going (slightly) over budget and forgoing my tube addiction.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:35 PM Post #14 of 48
I am currently in the market for a dap. What is the highest quality dap available under $500?

My short list

1. Opus #1
2. Ibasso dx80
3. Cayin N3

There are many more I have considered however, what I do require is a 2.5mm balanced, good battery life, usb otg, wireless capabilities would be nice.

Any suggestions?

Top of your list, the Opus #1 is stellar. In that same vein, I would add the excellent Shanling M5. Purchased mine used, for $255/shipped. I do not regret it, nor do I have longings for the Opus as a result.

Headphones:

1. FLC8S-$309ish new (used $211!!!)
2. Vibro Labs Aria-$499
3. thinksound ON2-$199 new (used for $130!!)
4. FiiO A5-$99, on sale
5. Shanling M1-$149

A good start...so I will stop.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:37 PM Post #15 of 48
LH-Labs GO2Pro Infinity

Schiit Jotunheim (w/ or w/o DAC)

Soekris R2R DAC 1101

Laconic Night Blues Headphone Amplifier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back