Best Gear Under $500
Apr 18, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #16 of 48
I have the original. I believe the BL only has minor improvements. But look how low the original is on the used market and it may alter your perception of the BL's value.

Okay, here are a few of my thoughts on other stuff under $500. Bear in mind these are just my subjective opinions.

• The ultra-budget Koss KTXPRO1 is 90% as good as any headphone. (I think the refinements of even the best headphones only account for a small percentage of the sound beyond what the KTX can do.)
  • Used STAX are the best headphones you can get in this price range.
  • My JBL LSR305 speakers sound far more realistic to me than any headphone.

(To see a list of headphones I have owned and heard, check out my profile.)

As for comparing things...I suspect that the amp in the iDSD is coloring the sound even when I use it as a DAC/preamp for speakers, so I bought a Schiit SYS passive preamp to level that playing field when comparing most DACs and DAC/amps. (Chord DAC/amps are an exception because the amps in them are in the DAC's analog output stage, so they can't be bypassed and are more akin to the amps that dedicated DACs use to send the signal to an external amp.)

One advantage the iDSD has over the Mojo is much higher maximum output power...which is only really relevant for very hard to drive headphones or when you're doing extreme bass boosts, which requires a lot more power than normal.

Also, I've only used the Mojo as a DAC/amp for headphones. (Never used it with an external headphone amp or speakers.)

You know I actually read that on a review of the black label recently, the user was essentially saying the same thing about the amp on the idsd bl.

I would've done the same thing if I were in your position. My other principle is dedicated components over combo's. Although I will admit there have been some exceptions, i.e. Idsd.

I'm definitely going to check out those you listed, you do have quite a list lol. I too am looking more into speakers, as that will more than likely be my next major purchase.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #17 of 48
Top of your list, the Opus #1 is stellar. In that same vein, I would add the excellent Shanling M5. Purchased mine used, for $255/shipped. I do not regret it, nor do I have longings for the Opus as a result.

Headphones:

1. FLC8S-$309ish new (used $211!!!)
2. Vibro Labs Aria-$499
3. thinksound ON2-$199 new (used for $130!!)
4. FiiO A5-$99, on sale
5. Shanling M1-$149

A good start...so I will stop.

A good start indeed!
I have seen the company around but haven't cared to look into them, I think it's an aesthetics thing. It probably sounds better than it looks? lol

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #18 of 48
$500 is currently around £390

For less than that a pretty great system that has served me for several years; iPod Classic + Graham Slee Voyager (bought 2nd hand) + HD25 1-II

(Cheating a bit!!! :joy: by about $50 equivalent; HD600 replacing HD25 utterly superb and getting rather a lot of use)

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:41 PM Post #19 of 48
A good start indeed!
I have seen the company around but haven't cared to look into them, I think it's an aesthetics thing. It probably sounds better than it looks? lol

Opus #1:

article-1357258-0330C20F000005DC-887_224x423.jpg

Mind you, that's not a bad thing...

Apr 18, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #20 of 48
I know there are a lot of haters, but I'm just going to put this out there....

HD700 is a crazy steal at the going rate of around 450.  Yes, it was overpriced initially at 1k, and some even say it was at 750.  But 450?  It has some peaks just like the HD800, but has some really nice resolution and transparency.  Super comfortable and well made.    Slap on some nice cable and you have a pretty top tier HP.  

Apr 18, 2017 at 8:30 PM Post #21 of 48
  You read my mind (guess it's more likely to happen in this thread with all the crazy pricing going on elsewhere).

I've actually tried ordering the LC twice. Missed out on the first run at $599 (only time it was in range for a new one) due to an emergency and cancelled my order for the second run because of the price increase.

Lately been thinking about making a third attempt at one. Still haven't heard it yet but everything I've read suggests the LC might be the most acclaimed balanced amp in the transportable size I'd need. Just not sure it's worth going (slightly) over budget and forgoing my tube addiction.

I'm extremely familiar w/tubes in preamps, big power amps, etc--not in desktop audio and w/headphones. I flat-out love tubes, but when it comes to convenience & transportability, tubes just can't keep up.

The LC is easily the most "tube-like" SS component I've ever heard. I don't mean the LC is gives a tube impersonation. It really doesn't--it's 100% solid state. But it has a slightly warm/rich tonal glow that really pleases me, w/excellent soundstaging thrown in. The biggest surprise is the bass, which is very good indeed (nothing like any tubes I ever heard).

Just checked cavalliaudio.com...they still have stock on LC, believe it or not. Yeah, it's probably over your budget--but if you end up not liking it or being underimpressed, this is one of those rare cases where you'll be able to sell it quickly, easily getting 85% or more of orig. price. And shipping cost is not a big factor.

Apr 18, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #22 of 48
Sony A10 Walkman- not generally considered a good value, but it's definitely my single most used piece of gear in the 2+ years I've had it, and I try a decent amount of stuff.

A10 w/ some Jays Q-Jays or Aurisonics Rockets, imo a pretty killer QOL, grab-and-go-anywhere setup right around $500.

(I'll +1 the Geek Out v2 as well, not perfect but really solid usb DAC/AMPs that can drive most stuff, particularly for the low used prices they go for)

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #23 of 48
Meze's 99 Classics and 99 Neo headphones!
99C goes for $309 while the new 99N sells for $250.

Honestly, you'll have to look long and hard to find any headphones that sound as good for less than $500... IMHO the next better headphones would cost you $700-800 (Mr. Speakers AEON).

Apr 19, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #24 of 48
I don't have a lot to offer for this thread, but what I have is:

Headphones - ZMF Classic (I have the previously named Master model) Is an excellent T50rp mod. For $300 these cans will keep many people quite happy, I still thoroughly enjoy mine.

Speakers - Magnepan MMG. ~$475 used or $600 (yes, a bit out of range for this thread) new. Excellent value to start with, and numerous mods for those who are so inclined can improve them significantly. These are my computer system desktop speakers (yes, I have a few screws loose, but what audio enthusiast doesn't? :) ).

J.P.

Apr 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #25 of 48
I don't have a lot to offer for this thread, but what I have is:

Headphones - ZMF Classic (I have the previously named Master model) Is an excellent T50rp mod. For $300 these cans will keep many people quite happy, I still thoroughly enjoy mine.

Speakers - Magnepan MMG. ~$475 used or $600 (yes, a bit out of range for this thread) new. Excellent value to start with, and numerous mods for those who are so inclined can improve them significantly. These are my computer system desktop speakers (yes, I have a few screws loose, but what audio enthusiast doesn't? :) ).

J.P.

I wouldn't say that is out of price range. I am looking at some speakers right now that are $1000 for the pair, so $500 each. I have always had an interest in the mmgs and magnapans in general.

My top 3 picks for speaker upgrade are
1. Svs ultra bookshelf $1000/pair
2. Elac uf5 floor standing $1000/pair
3. Magnapan mmg $600/pair

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #26 of 48
I wouldn't say that is out of price range. I am looking at some speakers right now that are $1000 for the pair, so $500 each. I have always had an interest in the mmgs and magnapans in general.

My top 3 picks for speaker upgrade are
1. Svs ultra bookshelf $1000/pair
2. Elac uf5 floor standing $1000/pair
3. Magnapan mmg $600/pair

Heard the Elac UF5 at RMAF 2016, and it sounded great!
I believe they have VERY favorable reviews all over the web.
I am not familiar with the other options, but you cannot go wrong with Elac...

Apr 19, 2017 at 8:18 PM Post #27 of 48
Heard the Elac UF5 at RMAF 2016, and it sounded great!
I believe they have VERY favorable reviews all over the web.
I am not familiar with the other options, but you cannot go wrong with Elac...

How was the low end on them? That is one concern I have with towers over bookshelf. I have heard great things about Elac as well!

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #28 of 48
How was the low end on them? That is one concern I have with towers over bookshelf. I have heard great things about Elac as well!

Since that was 6 months ago, and I only spent 10 minutes in their suite - I would rather you audition them than trust my 6 months old memory... 
wink_face.gif

It sounded very good, but they might have used a sub-woofer... I just do not remember.  sorry.

Apr 20, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #29 of 48
I think it's great to focus on lower priced, high bang-for-the-buck gear, but it makes more sense to consider the overall system budget rather than arbitrarily setting an equal $ limit per component. For example, if you are willing to spend up to $500/component then you are willing to spend up to $1500 on dac+amp+headphones. With that budget I would do something like Modi multibit + Valhalla2 + HD800 and get much better sound quality than if I excluded HD800 just because it's over $500.

Having said that, in the spirit of the post my picks for high-value under $500 gear would be:

Tube amp: Schiit Valhalla2 $350 - tubes done right, neutral and transparent. Resolution and soundstage competitive with many amps at multiples of its price. Weakness is bass impact and macrodynamics.

SS amp: Schiit Jotenheim $400 - have to spend a lot more to get a better SS amp, and even then it won't be that much better (the built in DAC for an extra $100 is probably also high value, but I haven't heard it)

open headphone: HD700 ~$450 - agree with @Pirastro here. The other obvious choice is HD650, but personally I would rather put up with the FR of the HD700 than the lack of clarity and bass quality of the HD650 (Actually I wouldn't really say HD700 punches high above its price, but it is probably what I'd use if I had to pick an open headphone under $500 new)

closed headphone: Fostex TH-X00 $400 - bass heavy, but if you can get past that it has excellent overall SQ for a closed headphone under $500. great clarity, soundstage like an open headphone.

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #30 of 48
Sony A10 Walkman- not generally considered a good value, but it's definitely my single most used piece of gear in the 2+ years I've had it, and I try a decent amount of stuff.

A10 w/ some Jays Q-Jays or Aurisonics Rockets, imo a pretty killer QOL, grab-and-go-anywhere setup right around $500.

(I'll +1 the Geek Out v2 as well, not perfect but really solid usb DAC/AMPs that can drive most stuff, particularly for the low used prices they go for)

Agree totally. Great choices but far too cheap:grinning:

The Sony A15 is lovely little player. Compact form factor, nice UI with physical controls, great battery life, very nice clean sound with some genuinely useful eq options, aptX Bluetooth, Sony quality.

All you really need for a pocketable device. Pair with a decent in ear or sensitive headphone. You have 2 to 3 hundred dollars spare inside that $500 limit!!!

Also have a GeekOut. Version one in my case; there is no better sound for your buck than that device. 90% of a Mojo for 20% price in my case.

Add a pair of HD600s for well inside the $500 and you will have a combo that will cost a lot more to beat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back