Best Gaming Setup $1,000 max (Console)
Apr 9, 2018 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

CompGamer

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I've been digging through review videos and forums for weeks and still can't decide on my setup :/

Primary use: Xbox One X gaming
Secondary use: Music

From most of what I read positioning is processed by the software not hardware so you don't need to go all out and 7.1 is a gimmick and a nice pair or stereo will be significantly better.

I was thinking HD 650 - Vali 2 - Modi 2 uber.

I want precision sounds, perfect clarity and isolation even at high volume. With these priorities in mind would this be the ideal setup? I'm open to suggestions and can that dac/amp even run those cans?

I've only ever used Astros so I'm quite green here.

Thanks all!

Apr 9, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 9
HD700 or DT990(250 ohm)
Darkvoice 336
Modi MB

Apr 9, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 9
HD650 is a warm-ish headphone that has a pretty serious clamp that makes long gaming sessions a bit rough on the skull.In addition it has a pretty narrow soundstage,which isnt what you want for competitive gaming.

The HD700 is much brighter,so better detail retrieval.Wider stage and much more comfortable IMHO.I like the HD650 for music,but would opt for the HD700 for gaming by a wide margin.

As I mentioned the HD700 is bright,so you dont want to skimp on that tube amp,hence the 336,and the Modi multibit is a warmer sounding more natural sounding DAC vs Modi or Modi uber 2.

If you need to cut corners I guess the regular Modi will work,but I'd go with the set-up I suggested.You can also pickup the HD700 used for around 300.00 if cash is tight.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:50 AM Post #5 of 9
HD650 is a warm-ish headphone that has a pretty serious clamp that makes long gaming sessions a bit rough on the skull.In addition it has a pretty narrow soundstage,which isnt what you want for competitive gaming.

The HD700 is much brighter,so better detail retrieval.Wider stage and much more comfortable IMHO.I like the HD650 for music,but would opt for the HD700 for gaming by a wide margin.

As I mentioned the HD700 is bright,so you dont want to skimp on that tube amp,hence the 336,and the Modi multibit is a warmer sounding more natural sounding DAC vs Modi or Modi uber 2.

If you need to cut corners I guess the regular Modi will work,but I'd go with the set-up I suggested.You can also pickup the HD700 used for around 300.00 if cash is tight.

I agreed with HD700 over HD650. But how about HD600? I think they are bright and spacious too.
For Dac/Amp you can consider GSX1000 from Sennheiser or Sound Blaster E5 from Creative. They come with gaming mode which create better surround (For FPS Gaming)

Apr 9, 2018 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 9
IMO, check on Massdrop.
You will find great deals from the HD-6XX (200$) and there are always a few good amps around.
IMO, between a HD-600 or a 700, you will not be getting 2X the score in game! (no offense)
I run a setup with a HD 598SE and own a bunch of other stuff (6-7 headphones), but my 598's are ALWAYS my go-to for gaming. (Maybee that will change when I Receive my Audeze Mobius!!)
The reason is simple, they are comfy in every way possible. not hot, clamping is perfect for me, sound is pleasing for a few hours on end, and they don't need a ton of juice to drive.
I also prefer a pair of open-back headphones so I can hear the kids if they wake up.
I got a Mod-Mic hooked up on there and this has been my rig for over a year now.

Also, you said Isolation... 650's are probably the furthest you can get from isolation, they are completely open. You want closed cans, Think of another set...

Have fun Shopping, it's part of the experience too! :)

James

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #7 of 9
I agreed with HD700 over HD650. But how about HD600?

I used to game with the HD600 back in the day...pretty much my thoughts regarding the HD650 can be applied to the 600 as well...FWIW theyve all been replaced by the Fidelio X1,which has served me quite well.

Also, you said Isolation... 650's are probably the furthest you can get from isolation, they are completely open. You want closed cans, Think of another set...

This is true.If youre worried about others hearing your gaming you need to focus on a closed back headphone.

Apr 9, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #9 of 9
That's fine!
We are here to help, we all started out asking those same questions.
Check up Youtube, there is a lot of information on Open back headphones vs Closed back.
If anything, check those out so you can make a final decision.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but do you mean separation? Properly hearing distinct sounds?
If so, these headphones will do a great job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back