Best gaming/music equipment?
Feb 13, 2011 at 5:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

janlux

New Head-Fier
Hello All!

Im pretty new around here, but not new on reading reviews and all that stuff that you guys have here! congratulations for the great website!

So here is my question:

There were some discusions in other forums that i've read and my questions goes here;

Would be this a good equipment for a best performances in gaming and music?

-Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
-Beyerdynamic Headzone PC Gaming Digital Surround Sound System
-Sennheiser HD 800 + Double Helix complement FP601 Rhodium XLR

Thx in advice, i would gladly hear from you other advices and sugestions :)

best regards

Feb 14, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 19
It's all up to personal preference. I would start much smaller than that.

I find it's easier to keep gaming and music separate. For gaming, you want a supremely comfortable headset with good positional audio and that is non fatiguing. For music, you might want something more exciting (depending on your tastes).

I have tried to mix the two, but I have yet to find a headphone that sounds great and that I can wear for 10-16 hours in a day (extreme cases, such as a LAN party) without discomfort. I think the best, affordable option that is often recommended is the Audio Technica AD700. It's got great positional audio and comfort, though not a lot of bass. This actually makes it an excellent headphone for competitive gaming, as bass only serves to distract from important sounds (footsteps).

Of course, I prefer a slightly more exciting sonud, regardless of it's competitive advantage. My Ultrasone HFI-580 sound amazing for gaming, especially in BFBC2, but alas, the comfort is not there.

It might be helpful to have an idea what you're shooting for here. What games are you playing? Are you playing competitively? Do you value fun/immersion over competitive advantage? How important is comfort to you?

Feb 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #4 of 19
the confort for me is not so important and yes I competitive, and for me the advantage over the enemy in cups is important.

Thats why Im looking for the best, and as far as I know that would be a good choise of what up i described, or not? : )

I play: Q3, QL, CS, L4D2.

Also there were some in lan partys that used two headhpones at same time:

Ultimate ears pro 18 (in ear)
and upon them they used a MMX300 with that Beyerdynamic Headzone.

This worked fine, what do you think?

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM Post #6 of 19
Bro... your doing overkill imo.
spending more on equipment than you did on your games is just overkill...  $3000 bucks for a gaming setup!?!? Dude, thats like nerd rage.
Just get a nice set of headphones for around 300 bucks at most. Get the fatal1ty soundcard though, it helps. Also you can drop the Beyerdynamic Headzone PC Gaming Digital Surround Sound System because you got your sound card to do the job, but thats personal preference I guess... I personally would never spend more than $500 for a setup because It wouldn't benefit me much overall.
This is all just imo though.
So sorry If I offended you.

I gotta tell you, in every FPS that I ever played, I always end up with in S/D(score/death) or K/D(kill/death) ratio of 2.0 or higher... and that was with my on board ALC889 and with my HS-800 headset(I use different headphones for music). Thats all less than 150 bucks?... Yea, that should be proof that you don't need an overkill system to be a boss. You just need to have a system that really suits you and your taste to the ear.

Anyways, GL.

Feb 14, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
Just get a nice set of headphones for around 300 bucks at most. 

Words seconded...i think it would be a HUGE step up over your setup. 

But, just My 2 cents. 

Lets wait what the serious gamers have to say. 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 19
I used to be a serious gamer... I had something called "poor man's gamer equipment" and was owning everyone that was bragging about their new sound card and headphones.... But I have to agree, get different headphones, 1 for gaming, and 1 for music. Just don't overkill.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #9 of 19
AD700 or AD900 are probably hard to beat for gaming. Nice open soundstage with great positional accuracy, and no inflated bass. Along with the HD555/595, they are the most popular headphones used in competitive gaming today. That is, outside of sponsorship deals (aka Steelseries, Razer, or Astro, which are all awful).

Honestly though, it doesn't take very expensive headphones to do perfectly well in a competitive shooter. I used to play CS (cal-m for 2 seasons), and used a cheap $20 Plantronics headset. Knowing the map layout like the back of your hand is all that matters. As long as the headset outputs some form of stereo image, knowing exactly where they are is rather simple. A good tonal balance is important, however. You don't want overemphasized bass covering up the sound of footsteps.

The HD800 may be great for your usage, however. I would just be afraid that the treble peak might be too fatiguing for long gaming sessions.

As for the Beyer headtracking system...it's made to be immersive, but will certainly take away from your competitive edge.

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #10 of 19
ahh great guys, thx for your suggestions and information :)

Im pretty sure that with the new upgrate of sound card and the new upgrade on headphones, the AD900 or HD800...I will think about the first one...as HD800 are not cheap at all :>

With the HD555 I experiment sometimes trubles because sometimes I dont even hear an enemy behind me...or behind the wall...dont know why sometimes this happens, but i think its because of bad sound card...

So about the Beyer headtracking system, it will be worth all? i mean will not help at all right? :)

Thx again :>

@eriktheg , nono i dont get offend so easy :D

Feb 14, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 19
The Beyer system makes it so that when you turn your head, sounds rotate so that they seem like they're coming from the same points in the room. It will make it feel more like a 5.1 speaker system, and not a headphone. This will not help you in games. It's more of an immersion factor for music and movies.

The AD700/AD900 are not seen as the most musical of headphones, but they're praised for their comfort and their ease in positional audio. As always, you should be outputting 2 channel, and not 5.1. If 2 channel doesn't work out for you, then you could try CMSS 3D, which may help positional audio, but will significantly degrade audio quality.

As always, sound is very important, but it needs to go along with experience. If you don't hear them behind the wall or behind you, are you just they weren't just walking (using CS as an example)? Are your PC fans perhaps too loud and muffling the sound?

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #12 of 19
Hi ex0du5, thx for the help.

Ok now I understod that this Beyer will not help at al on games...

Yes i know if the enemy walks on CS or in Q3 (with gauntlet) you can hear it at all..but, nopt they were runing and I even didnt heared them :/ and this happened to me few times in important cup...

The pc works pretty loud yep...but I dont hear it when I play with my HD555 :)

Any good advice if I take the AD900 or HD800 + Double Helix complement FP601 Rhodium XLR to have some apm? what do u think about this one

The Goldpoint Headphone Pro

Also it will be good help for me, if you can put wich is teh best accesories in your opinion for gamin ''sound'' apm..sound card.. and some sourses...

But i think I iwll use all this also for the music...listening some rock like ACDC, Motley Crue...and so on.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Wonder how the Sony V6's would be for gaming.  They're reasonably comfortable w/ replacement pads, and have sound that is definitely way too revealing -- maybe a plus if you're truly trying to get an 'edge' on the competition.

I still play FPS's but mostly on the consoles now, and certainly not for competition or any such thing.  Wish there was a way for XBL to recreate the atmosphere of server communities I saw when I played Quake or CS -- the consoles are great for quick sessions with friends, but you don't ever get that "server where you know everyone's name" feeling.

Feb 14, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 19
I just noticed you're looking at a $700 cable. No. Don't do it.

I'd go AD900 + Asus Xonar Essence STX. Great PC based headphone amplification, which will also make it very LAN friendly. Along with the AD900, you should be looking at around $500 total.
Quote:
Hi ex0du5, thx for the help.

Ok now I understod that this Beyer will not help at al on games...

Yes i know if the enemy walks on CS or in Q3 (with gauntlet) you can hear it at all..but, nopt they were runing and I even didnt heared them :/ and this happened to me few times in important cup...

The pc works pretty loud yep...but I dont hear it when I play with my HD555 :)

Any good advice if I take the AD900 or HD800 + Double Helix complement FP601 Rhodium XLR to have some apm? what do u think about this one

The Goldpoint Headphone Pro

Also it will be good help for me, if you can put wich is teh best accesories in your opinion for gamin ''sound'' apm..sound card.. and some sourses...

But i think I iwll use all this also for the music...listening some rock like ACDC, Motley Crue...and so on.

Feb 14, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #15 of 19
great! :)

And this Asus Xonar Essence STX sound card its better for 3d positioning than the Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series ?

and last thingy, in your opinion there is no need on amp/dac? if it can make better things, wich one u think is good ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back