Best gaming mice
Dec 9, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #287 of 406
Some 15 years ago I was playing Quake 2: Action Quake and Counter Strike 1.1+++ and I used this basic Microsoft optical mouse and an Icemat mousepad. Every time the mouse wore and broke I'd just replace it with a new one for like 10€.
Basically the reason I used this particular mouse is because it just felt right in hand and no mouse more expensive could confirm me more kills than this cheap basic gadget mouse, and so it is imo with this gear in general: what feels best to you is probably going to achieve the best results, not having a ton of features.

300x300px-LS-314dad38_B00006B7HB-31N7ENCV2ZL.jpeg

Years went by and I tried a bunch of different mouse brands like Razer, Madcatz & Logitech until I stumbled upon Steelseries and was greatly fascinated by the looks of their Rival 100 as it brought to mind the beastly Microsoft mouse that helped me strike fear in my opponents hearts.

At long last I had once again arrived to the comfort of a perfectly shaped mouse, the solid build quality and excellent grip materials were just icing on the cake to me, yet I was blissfully unawares of the best feature I was about to uncover. Not only does this mouse feel just right in hand but it's sensor greatly excels in FPS gaming. To compare somewhat, I recently got a Logitech G502 very cheap on sale and used it for couple months time and sort of forgot how awesome the Rival 100 is... When I re plugged in the Rival it felt like my headshot % instantly doubled and I could get in that extra bit of precision just in time in those intense CS:GO situations. The sensor comparison is a night and day difference to the Rival's adventage and you can instantly feel it.

My Rival has endured me many years, though the rubber grip on the side has worn through and I've been thinking about getting another Rival replacement. I had a chance to play with the Rival 700 for a week and I must say it just doesn't have the same hand feeling, the extra little screen doesn't appeal to me that much but it's a cool thing for some I suppose, the Rival 700 is definitely a great modern gaming mouse with everything and a bit more. I would've got it for the detachable cable and sensor feature but in the end the Rival 100 just feels so much better to my hand, it is my recommendation for the best (FPS) gaming mouse and I will replace it with another one when the time comes.
KB067ST_139187_800x800.jpg

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #288 of 406
I still have one of those old white and red light, Microsoft mice. Still have a plain black MS one too.

I love the G502 though, but I rally do need a proper mouse mat for gaming. I am not disagreeing with you on your take over the G502 and the Rival 100. ... I am just saying. .... I also need the many buttons of the G502.

Dec 12, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #289 of 406
I still have one of those old white and red light, Microsoft mice. Still have a plain black MS one too.

I love the G502 though, but I rally do need a proper mouse mat for gaming. I am not disagreeing with you on your take over the G502 and the Rival 100. ... I am just saying. .... I also need the many buttons of the G502.
Don't get me wrong the G502 is a very decent mouse but just mid-range when it comes to sensor quality, easily worth the 20€ I paid for it on sale though. Personally I hated the buttons, I used to setup 2 profiles for CS:GO with different DPI settings and would get killed when pressing a wrong button trying to switch profiles quickly in combat lol.The scrolling wheel on G502 is boss! So great for browsing websites.

Here's the mouse mat I used with the G502. Asus cerberus. It's well made, accurate, feels durable, I bet it lasts for ages.
ASUS_Cerberus-02b_s.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #290 of 406
Mouse is fun. I have way to many of them. Two last was rival 300 and G502 both on black friday deals. And no I never need any of them lol. I must say I like the Rival 300s no nonsense. To bad my hand hurt a bit by it but it has great solid feel on all buttons and scroll wheel and it kind of ergonomic and fit my hand so don´t quite know why I get some strain. Maybe should be in XL or should be a bit higher. But then I loose a bit of freedom and it would be clunkier.

G502 is good as well and it was nice for a change but going back to the 300 it just feels inferior in usage. It don´t glide as well, the weight is not as evenly distributed. It feels like a gt car where the 300 is a formula one.

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #293 of 406
Razer Naga. I had this years ago for playing WoW.
26-153-064-06.jpg

I have 5 x 2 = extra buttons on G502, not to mention the free scrholl wheel and wheel tilting - which makes Naga feel rather constricted at 12 + 2 so 4 extra buttons, but with no scroll wheel tilt...

(This not considering the normal click buttons . )

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #294 of 406
I have 5 x 2 = extra buttons on G502, not to mention the free scrholl wheel and wheel tilting - which makes Naga feel rather constricted at 12 + 2 so 4 extra buttons, but with no scroll wheel tilt...

(This not considering the normal click buttons . )
Hmm. What do you mean 5 x 2 extra buttons? I got a G502 in my hands now and my thumb can reach 5 buttons

Dec 12, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #295 of 406
Hmm. What do you mean 5 x 2 extra buttons? I got a G502 in my hands now and my thumb can reach 5 buttons

The sniper button can be rassigned as a shift button, which means that as long as you keep it pressed, every other button can do something else, assuming that you entirely reassign the DPI button (which I did)

I basically have

FWD
BCKWD
Side FWD
Side BCKWD
Power Button

Then G-Shift, which gives each another function.

I made a photo of how they are assigned in the last two pages, might be nice for other G502 users.

Dec 12, 2017 at 4:15 PM Post #296 of 406
G502 is good as well and it was nice for a change but going back to the 300 it just feels inferior in usage. It don´t glide as well, the weight is not as evenly distributed. It feels like a gt car where the 300 is a formula one.
I also noticed this thing about how it glides. The G502 feels like some edges on its bottom are grinding against the mouse mat while rival 100 just glides effortlessly having far less friction.

If you have a hard mouse mat you could fix this by cutting something like sticking plaster in size of the contact points under the mouse and applying them. I had to do this kind of fix when using a glass mouse mat and it worked great.

The sniper button can be rassigned as a shift button, which means that as long as you keep it pressed, every other button can do something else, assuming that you entirely reassign the DPI button (which I did)

I basically have

FWD
BCKWD
Side FWD
Side BCKWD
Power Button

Then G-Shift, which gives each another function.

I made a photo of how they are assigned in the last two pages, might be nice for other G502 users.
Ah. Well you could also basically have these shift combos using keyboard for any mouse

The new Naga is looking quite interesting for MOBA gaming. 16k dpi, keyboard switch combo profiles etc.

razer-nagahexv2-moba-mouse-1.png

Created specifically for MOBA gamers, the Razer Naga Hex V2 comes with a 7 button mechanical thumb wheel, positioned in a way that ensures you never misclick. The thumb wheel was designed to position buttons equidistant from the thumb, all of which are programmable, giving quick access to multiple commands. At the center of the thumb wheel is a rubberized thumb grip, which provides a solid grip on the mouse, which is essential for the fast twitch movements needed in MOBA games.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #298 of 406
I've had my Razer Deathadder for a few years now and I really love it. It fits right in my palm, the buttons are right where they should be. I think even if it breaks, I will just get the same one again.

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #299 of 406
Well its been 5 years. I'm curious as to the original posters are using now.

I will go in chronological order, first mice i used to what i use now ::

Intellimouse 1.1 --Favorite shape and feel
Logitech mx518
Logitech G9 -- Used this for YEARS
Logitech G500
Intellimouse 3.0
Razer Deathadder --Wasnt a fan of the Razer mice
Razer Momba
Steelseries Ikari -- Another favorite but it stopped working very shortly after I got it
Steelseries Kinzu -- Too small
Steelseries Sensei --Intellimouse 1.1 shape loved it, buttons are mushy
Steelseries Rival
Logitech G502 -- I have fallen in love with this mouse. I may get more of these to have when my current one dies.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #300 of 406
Really enjoying the Logitech G403 here, looks sleek, can set personalized dpi and I can choose between wired or wireless play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back