Best gaming mice
Oct 20, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #272 of 404
I used to use a G502, since it was close to perfect for me, but then an interesting-looking Kickstarter popped up. Now I've had a new mouse for a few months, and more recently, a new keyboard to go alongside it. My setup's starting to look like some kinda Kickstarter battlestation, only missing a certain pair of headphones that have yet to ship even after countless delays.

Desktop-_Sep2017_alt.jpg

Yes, I actually own a Swiftpoint Z, and it's rather spoiled me, though I do miss the free-scrolling wheel of most recent Logitech mice. I'd miss it less if the promised software feature to make the mouse scroll continuously in a given direction by tilting, moving the mouse and holding right-click down in that direction (with a harder click scrolling faster) was implemented, but it hasn't been done yet. The first part can be replicated, but seeing as they're based on mouse wheel notches, it feels janky rather than smooth.

The important part, however, is that it tracks consistently, is comfortable to use (albeit forcing me to retrain my grip so that my ring finger grips the side rather than resting on the right mouse button), and has a crapton of buttons that I can bind stuff to, including the ability to shift everything via tilt or other button press. I can even remap what would normally be DPI switch buttons on the upper-left like actual gameplay buttons, since the mouse only goes into config mode if I lift it up and tilt it quite a ways to the right like I'm looking at the built-in OLED screen. Once there, I can easily switch DPI, profiles, and even recalibrate the mouse tilt angles (using whatever buttons I please, like mouse wheel for DPI and corner buttons for profiles) at a glance, and everything resumes to normal once I lay it back down on the surface.

There are some tweaks I'd like to have made to the shape (mostly pertaining to how I grip it with my ring and pinky fingers), I want the notchier, weightier G502 wheel (yes, really), and the left mouse button already has a smooth spot worn in from all my clicking. That always happens to me with ABS plastic, be it keyboards or mice. Also, it was crazy expensive on Kickstarter and is now insanely expensive for general availability.

Nevertheless, it's the best mouse I've ever used to date, and it's only going to get better as the software gets refined more and more.

Nov 5, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #273 of 404
I've been using G502 for a while now. Not the best, but really good for gaming, and it supports that free scrolling thigy, which can be extremely useful!

I just bought a 502 (Proteus Spectrum). I have not opened it yet. I needed some really good DPI scaling so I could make the pointer move slower when using Cubase. Sometimes I need to make micro-alterations, that my Logitech G5 could not do. It was because I had the slowest speed set up for gaming, and it moved too fast for Cubase minor edits.

What pushed me to buy the 502 right now was that my scroll wheel stopped working on my G5. However I fixed it after buying the 502. The wheel has spokes and light passes thought the spokes. On mine, fluff had blocked the gap where light passes through.

Now I have two mice which is best case scenario I think. Always good to have a good back-up mouse. I was always concerned that I'd never be able to replace the G5. However needs have arisen where I need a mouse with more DPI settings anyway.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #275 of 404
Please can someone who owns the Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, answer a question for me.

Is the mouse wheel supposed to rattle/clunk? If I have the mouse in middle mouse free roll, which it really comfy, it rattles under the slightest movement. When I move mouse from side to side, on the mouse mat, it clunks, when I stop movement. It happens with only the lightest movement too, making it completely unusable.

If I hold the mouse wheel, all is fine. Or if I put the mouse wheel in normal ratchet mode, it's fine. However then it's hard to scroll.

Crying shame because the feel of the mouse is excellent. ... I am asking though, because if this is normal, then I won't get a replacement. I will just return it.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #276 of 404
Please can someone who owns the Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, answer a question for me. Is there supposed to be something rattling about inside. When I move mouse from side to side, on the mouse mat, it clunks. Like something heavy is loose inside, and clunks on either side when I stop moving. It's completely unusable. ... Crying shame because the feel of the mouse is excellent.

Absolutely normal. It rattles worse than a rattlesnake.

Very usable and works very well though. My favorite mouse since 3 years ago, when I first got it. I had changed one so far, because I gifted the one I had, but both rattle, yet both work perfectly still.

Nov 30, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #277 of 404
Absolutely normal. It rattles worse than a rattlesnake.

Very usable and works very well though. My favorite mouse since 3 years ago, when I first got it. I had changed one so far, because I gifted the one I had, but both rattle, yet both work perfectly still.

Haha, review. (Laughed at your review and rubbed my eyes as you do. Totally forgetting I had just been prepping food and handled chillis. Now my eyelids are on fire.)

I actually edited completely that post as you were replying. This mouse doesn't just rattle when you shake it. It sore of clunk rattles when you mouse in normal e.g. browsing movement. Literally just moving it gently side-to-side and clunk, then back again - clunk.

I can use the mouse wheel in ratchet mode which stops the clunking, but as you say, "moped".

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #278 of 404
Haha, review. (Laughed at your review and rubbed my eyes as you do. Totally forgetting I had just been prepping food and handled chillis. Now my eyelids are on fire.)

I actually edited completely that post as you were replying. This mouse doesn't just rattle when you shake it. It sore of clunk rattles when you mouse in normal e.g. browsing movement. Literally just moving it gently side-to-side and clunk, then back again - clunk.

I can use it in ratchet mode, but as you say, "moped".

Sorry, not my review, but I love that review! Check out more of the dude's channel, he does an awesome job :smile_phones:

Yep, it moves like that at all normal daily activities. Still love this mouse. I have mapped all its buttons, so I can quickly close a tab, reopen a closed tab, I do scroll button on the front left button and many other stuff that makes it a much better mouse. Also free scroll wheel is much better than a spinner and actually useful :darthsmile:

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #279 of 404
Not much of a gamer, but I use the Razer Naga 2014 and it's been flawless, I thought it was going bad as the trakcing became erratic but turned out I just needed to clean the laser with a small brush, good as new now. I love having the thumb buttons, even though most games I play are FPS.

Nov 30, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #280 of 404
Not much of a gamer, but I use the Razer Naga 2014 and it's been flawless, I thought it was going bad as the trakcing became erratic but turned out I just needed to clean the laser with a small brush, good as new now. I love having the thumb buttons, even though most games I play are FPS.

You need to try this G502 as well I'd say.

Naga also has a lot of programmable keys, but the main difference between them would be the scroll wheel, which can be free in G502.

Quick word of advice: I have my G502 remapped as it follows

General browsing is sooo much better this way!

iM0pPvu.jpg

VkEmpFf.jpg

Nov 30, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #281 of 404
Have to say the G502 does feel nice to handle. The grippy bits on the side are extra good. ... The buttons are all well positioned. I can reach four of them without moving. (Whereas on my G5 I could only reach one, and only ever used one in gaming. I could use two when browsing.)

That only leaves the sniper button which I can move for if I need it.

Nov 30, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #282 of 404
Have to say the G502 does feel nice to handle. The grippy bits on the side are extra good. ... The buttons are all well positioned. I can reach four of them without moving. (Whereas on my G5 I could only reach one, and only ever used one in gaming. I could use two when browsing.)

That only leaves the sniper button which I can move for if I need it.

I reassigned that sniper for G-shifting, which gives every other button another meaning! :smiling_imp:

So much ability from a single mouse!

Dec 5, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #283 of 404
I reassigned that sniper for G-shifting, which gives every other button another meaning! :smiling_imp:

So much ability from a single mouse!

Well considering my mouse wheel rattles, but I still have not gone for a replacement. I think it says a lot about the Logitech G502. (It's the Proteus Spectrum version, but I use it without lights.)

Funny thing is, in pictures I thought I would not like it much. It had the requirements I needed, so I bought it. ... Yet it's almost perfect. It feels right to hold. it doesn't look stupid, he-man-ish, or over the top. With the lights switched of by the Logitech software, it looks fairly plain black. Sort of stealth like with a few angles. Size and weight are just right, (plus a few extra weights if you need it).

It left-and-right clicks a tiny bit loud. Plus I have mouse wheel rattle when it's in free-scroll mode. However I swap between free-roll and ratchet. The mouse wheel is noisy in normal sort of ratcheted mode, but I mostly use it games. It gives a very satisfying turn, when changing weapons in games though.

If I got a replacement where the mouse wheel didn't rattle in free-scroll, it would be prefect. (Apparently the mouse wheel shouldn't rattle, according to some.) I'd recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back