Best Gaming Headphones that are good for music?
Mar 30, 2009 at 4:20 AM Post #31 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My suggestion is to get the headphones you want best for listening to music. Any of these HiFi headphones will be more than enough for your gaming needs.

I've used the AD900, HD650, D2000, AHD-550 and a few other headphones while gaming, and have not had any improved gaming performance. Games I've played, COD4, TF2, CS1.6 for shooters.

I currently feel that my HD650s couldn't possibly be better for imaging, I always know where an enemy is coming from and they sound great in CoD4, but then again, when I had Koss PortaPros I couldn't think of any way in which they were wrong for music. Someday I'll grab some gaming cans and I expect I'll realize what I was missing. Or I'll hate myself for pissing away untold amounts of money on a marginal difference. Only time will tell.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:24 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bradan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No no no no. You are a bose fanboy. I don't like you for that.
biggrin.gif

I play games like:
-Company of Heroes
-COD4/COD5
-CS:SOURCE
-DOD:SOURCE
-UNREAL 3
-LEFT4DEAD
-TF2
-CRYSIS/WARHEAD
-GEARS
-RED ORCHESTRA
-RED ALERT 3
-MANY OTHERS

I'm a very long time, dedicated gamer.
You will be disappointed with the bose! Muddy!

If you want nice, real explosions, beleivable impact for all you gunshots, satisfying soundstage, and comfort, go for

Denon AH-D2000 (~280$)
Beyer 770-80 ohm (~200$)

If you're really on a budget and can sacrifice some bass quantity, but want the extension (low-low bass) get:

Sennheiser HD 555 (~100$, lean bass, great stage, comfy highs)
Audio Technica A700(~130$, closed, slightly more bass)
Audio Technica AD700(~110$wider soundstage, crispy sound)

You have to trust me on this one, bose are not what you want.

On the plus side, you can actually use the ones I've listed for music, instead of dropping a ****-ton on stats.

[/color]

E7200 @ 3.66ghz - 3GB Corsair 800 @ 4-4-4-12-1T - Asus 680i
EVGA GTX 260 - CM690 - Corsair 550
Xonar STX -> Denon AH-D2000 / Logitech Z5300E

Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD

please never use orange font again
redface.gif
, reading it is very hard on my eyes (they have to work hard enough during the day, cut a brotha some slack man)

that said: now I can read and reply to your post
I own most of those games, I've used the Bose with most of those games, and they're just fine, have you ever actually TRIED THEM YOURSELF? guessing not.

secondly, I've also tried the other headphones you've listed (everything but the AT's, which I'll admit: I've never had an AT on my head), and imho most of them were lacking

HD555 doesn't have enough bass impact/kick (nor does HD 595, HD 580/600/650 DOES), D2000 has no soundstage worth mentioning (its wonky), and about as much isolation as my HD 580's (
wink_face.gif
)

and why did you post your computer specs? (if you're trying to "race", I'd win
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I merely suggested he tried them, and you had to be an ******* about it, refer to #1 and stop talking about equipment you've never used or owned (or acting like I'm a fanboy purely because I don't bash Bose)

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 48
I found in extended use that the HD650 has a real "Three Bubbles" Problem. Audio is located in one of three places... directly in the center of your head, on the left, or on the right. I had actually thought they'd replace my 770-80 for a while but in testing with games they simply couldn't do the trick.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
please never use orange font again
redface.gif
, reading it is very hard on my eyes (they have to work hard enough during the day, cut a brotha some slack man)

that said: now I can read and reply to your post
I own most of those games, I've used the Bose with most of those games, and they're just fine, have you ever actually TRIED THEM YOURSELF? guessing not.

secondly, I've also tried the other headphones you've listed (everything but the AT's, which I'll admit: I've never had an AT on my head), and imho most of them were lacking

HD555 doesn't have enough bass impact/kick (nor does HD 595, HD 580/600/650 DOES), D2000 has no soundstage worth mentioning (its wonky), and about as much isolation as my HD 580's (
wink_face.gif
)

and why did you post your computer specs? (if you're trying to "race", I'd win
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

I merely suggested he tried them, and you had to be an ******* about it, refer to #1 and stop talking about equipment you've never used or owned (or acting like I'm a fanboy purely because I don't bash Bose)

No audiophile headphone will have bass like a Bose or Skull Candy. I never tried the Triports for gaming, but for music, the Triports lacked clarity, was congested sounding with a very narrow, tunnel vision sound stage.. The Triports don't sound awful, but do sound awful for the price Bose charges. I took the liberty to add The Triports to my list of gaming headphones. I did this last month. I gave them a ??? cause, 1, I never tried them for gaming. 2, User feedback for the Triports, for gaming is very small. 3. Some say they game with Triports as a joke. 4, user experience is to the extreme. One claims they are the worst for gaming, another might feel the total opposite.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found in extended use that the HD650 has a real "Three Bubbles" Problem. Audio is located in one of three places... directly in the center of your head, on the left, or on the right. I had actually thought they'd replace my 770-80 for a while but in testing with games they simply couldn't do the trick.

have you tried something like CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone? I found my ESP/10's to have a similar effect (and my HD 580's, for that matter), and enabling CMSS-3D Headphone seemed to clear it up (its basically a much more complex crossfeed (hell, you might even try crossfeed if you've got it
wink_face.gif
), sounds awful for music, but its great for games)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No audiophile headphone will have bass like a Bose or Skull Candy. I never tried the Triports for gaming, but for music, the Triports lacked clarity, was congested sounding with a very narrow, tunnel vision sound stage.. The Triports don't sound awful, but do sound awful for the price Bose charges. I took the liberty to add The Triports to my list of gaming headphones. I did this last month. I gave them a ??? cause, 1, I never tried them for gaming. 2, User feedback for the Triports, for gaming is very small. 3. Some say they game with Triports as a joke. 4, user experience is to the extreme. One claims they are the worst for gaming, another might feel the total opposite.

the Denon D2000/5000/etc will produce bass "like a Bose" (and don't put SkullCandy into the same running, unless you've heard and compared them together, you don't really have an opinion, and from comparing them, SkullCandy doesn't have "bass", it has blobby ~100hz output, they are quite different products), in that its borderline overpowering, quite "thick" or "thumpy", and very "involved"

in my experience, the D2000 is "slightly bassier", and has "slightly more detail" (the D2000 is flabby and awful imho though, and is nothing at all an "audiophile headphone" (who decides what is or isn't audiophile btw?
wink_face.gif
)), at roughly twice the price (and you lose soundstage, because the drivers are straight on your ears, as opposed to being angled (and this isn't a plug for the Bose, this is a plug for anything with angled drivers, Grado's included))

with music, they aren't "flawless" (again, who decides what makes something "audiophile"
wink_face.gif
), but in their realm, they're quite respectable (this is coming from someone who hasn't used AT's, remember that, AD700 may well be a world better, but HD 280's, HD 555's, HD 595's, SR-60's, SR-125's, SR-225's, Q40's/D1000's, etc are all happily competitive in my book, they win some and lose some across the board)

and I do agree 100%: polarized opinions
one camp says "they're like SkullCandy and not audiophile products, cannot be true music listening and we must kill anyone who has heard them, as they are tainted", and one camp says "they aren't bad, give 'em a shot, what's to lose?"
wink_face.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:39 AM Post #36 of 48
I will have to agree about HD 650 being a poor choice for soundstaging either for music or games. Of course cmss3d helps but of the four headphones I am sticking to eachother it´s by far the worst (DX 1000, PRO 900, AKG K701, HD 650) in the soundstage department.

Mar 30, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #37 of 48
I gotta give props for bob stepping up and for what I think is the first time in head-fi history, seriously recommending bose headphones.

Even if it does mean getting burned at the stake. (Medium rare? the bob or the stake?)

Anyway, for 500$ you should go for multiple headphones, probably one for gaming with more bass impact than a sledge hammer and one for listening to music. For the first one, the only thing I've used that I can recommend are the M-audio Q40s with some sort of amp. I use them with a fiio e5, and with the bass switch on these things can do some serious head blasting. I've heard good the ultrasones, but I have yet to actually listen to any. That should change soon though, unfortunately it will probably be with a non burned in set.
frown.gif

I do trust bob's opinion on the bose's, as wrong as it might sound. I have auditioned a set of DT770 pros before; they were lacking in bass, but I did not have a amp at the time. More so my Q40s are slightly lacking in bass without a amp as well.

Although if you get the triports then I recommend you do some looking on ebay and pick them up below MSRP. From a quick look it seems that you might be able to get them for around 80$ if you're lucky. More importantly you will make 95% of the head-fi community happier by not giving your money to bose.

For the music cans, I've heard the grados are good for rock. I haven't tried them nor do I listen to a lot of rock, so you might wanna ask other people about that bit.

Now where is my fireproof vest....

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #38 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will have to agree about HD 650 being a poor choice for soundstaging either for music or games. Of course cmss3d helps but of the four headphones I am sticking to eachother it´s by far the worst (DX 1000, PRO 900, AKG K701, HD 650) in the soundstage department.

I got a clarification Q here: are you saying that list is "best" to "worst" of soundstage? or just listing 'phones you've compared and saying the HD 650 is the worst of the lot? (I'm curious, as I've only heard the K701 and HD 650, but neither the JVC nor Ultrasone)

honestly I'd say CMSS 3D Headphone with HD 650's is about comparable to a "better soundstaged" 'phone with no CMSS 3D (and of course, you can turn CMSS 3D on with headphones that have better positioning (like K701's), and get "still better" results)

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM Post #39 of 48
It´s not a list in that specific order. Will need more time with them to clearly positioning them it´s just clear that the 650 is dragging behind in this area.

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #40 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by oqvist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It´s not a list in that specific order. Will need more time with them to clearly positioning them it´s just clear that the 650 is dragging behind in this area.

ah, was just curious

and I agree, the Senn's aren't "the best" for soundstage, they're better than some, but worse than others

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #41 of 48
LAWL. I don't think the bass and mids in the Denon D2000 or DT770 to be any better than a Bose Triport and that's the honest truth. Closed headphone is a closed headphone, muddy bass and recessed mids.

Excluding W5000, R10, L3000 and other headphones in their price range.

HD650 are not a poor choice for gaming. It's OVERKILL. Gamers get real, you can use crummy Logitech gaming headphones and will do just fine.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #42 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omerta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the repliew. I'd rather not buy used, and I refuse to buy DT770s at their current price when people snagged them for $68 off amazon a few months ago.

Lucky americans.. In europe they cost ~130 euros.

I was speaking about the DT-770's Pro (80ohm) btw
wink.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #43 of 48
[QUOTEGamers get real, you can use crummy Logitech gaming headphones and will do just fine.
][/QUOTE]
Hey, where is the love,why such a hater. Soundstage , positioning, and detail are important for gaming. They heip you locate and take advantage of the audio cues within games that a lot of cheap headsets dont do very well.

Mar 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #44 of 48
thanks for the advice everyone. I decided to go with the AKG K-601s. They're great for gaming and pretty good for music. My cousin needs a headphone, too, so I told him to get the bose triport.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back