Best Gaming Headphones that are good for music?
Mar 29, 2009 at 7:30 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oggranak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, with that budget I'd recommend getting separate gaming and music headphones. Audio-technica AD700s for gaming, and maybe Grado SR225s (or an SR325i, some people prefer this to the SR225, some don't) for your music. This would all easily fall within your budget and would work better than trying to find a compromise.

However, if gaming is #1 for you, it might be better to buy some Sony MDR-F1s or Beyerdynamic DT880 (2005)s. These are, from what I've read, the two best gaming headphones under $500. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They are hard to beat, & better then the AD700 for gaming IMO, but others disagree..

Mar 29, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #17 of 48
Considering your price range, Dt-880 and an amp like a Darkvoice 336i would be a very nice choice. I'm one of the guys who generally disagrees with Bubba, but that would be with the F1 - I thought the DT-880 was quite excellent once I amped it well.

IMO the F1 has great directional placement, but the depth seems a bit off for gaming, at least in the games I play. Both the 880 (once amped well) and the AD700 were a bit better at telling me if the opposition was on the left, close by, or around the bend a bit farther away.

However, for gaming, you really can't go wrong with any of those 3. So, with that in mind, given those 3 choices, I would go with the DT-880 because IMO its better musically as well.

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Considering your price range, Dt-880 and an amp like a Darkvoice 336i would be a very nice choice. I'm one of the guys who generally disagrees with Bubba, but that would be with the F1 - I thought the DT-880 was quite excellent once I amped it well.

IMO the F1 has great directional placement, but the depth seems a bit off for gaming, at least in the games I play. Both the 880 (once amped well) and the AD700 were a bit better at telling me if the opposition was on the left, close by, or around the bend a bit farther away.

However, for gaming, you really can't go wrong with any of those 3. So, with that in mind, given those 3 choices, I would go with the DT-880 because IMO its better musically as well.

Yes.. The MDR F1 lacks horizontal depth compared to the AD700.. But from my experience, the MDR F1 are the best headphones for FPSers..

Mar 29, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.. The MDR F1 lacks horizontal depth compared to the AD700.. But from my experience, the MDR F1 are the best headphones for FPSers..

I would like to know how you get to this basis, considering that depth is crucial in most FPS. I would put them in my top 5 of what i've used, but certainly not number 1.

By all means not trying to knock your opinion, but I would just really like to know what you think is more important that than that depth, especially in a competitive environment.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry. I meant to say vertical depth..

Ah, makes sense then. I had a different experience (depth in general was better on the AD700 for me), but that could be from any number of reasons. Like I said, either way you have a very good gaming headphone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:31 PM Post #22 of 48
I don't think the DT880 is very good for games, though I tried it for a while when I had one during the first year of my Head-Fidom. Too laid back.

I think the DT770-80, with a decent amount of burn in doesn't necessarily have a recessed midrange, but one that is simply rather unremarkable compared to the bass which tightens and the upper register which sparkles.

And, I do think it belongs on the list of headphones when you're looking at these particular categories because I haven't heard anything yet that tops it in any price range for its combination of specific qualities.

Durable, sounds pretty good, closed, can be driven by most anything pretty well.

Maybe a CD3000 if you can find it, but those go north of $500 these days. And no, throwing money at Headphile isn't always a good idea.

Mar 29, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the DT880 is very good for games, though I tried it for a while when I had one during the first year of my Head-Fidom. Too laid back.

I think the DT770-80, with a decent amount of burn in doesn't necessarily have a recessed midrange, but one that is simply rather unremarkable compared to the bass which tightens and the upper register which sparkles.

And, I do think it belongs on the list of headphones when you're looking at these particular categories because I haven't heard anything yet that tops it in any price range for its combination of specific qualities.

Durable, sounds pretty good, closed, can be driven by most anything pretty well.

Maybe a CD3000 if you can find it, but those go north of $500 these days. And no, throwing money at Headphile isn't always a good idea.

I haven't heard the DT-770 specifically in regards to games, but FWIR about the bass, that specific quality would be its downfall for this. You don't want a prominent bass for games like FPS, at least as far as an advantage standpoint goes. This is also why I would take the AD700 over the DT-880.

Like I said though, thats just from what I've read. I have used a pair of Proline 650, and those were downright terrible because of the bass involved - overshadowed important details like footsteps when explosions were going off even a bit far away from where I was.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #24 of 48
Thanks for all the replies guys. I've done extra research, and I am kinda considering the 770s, but they have no midrange. It's basically all bass, which is good for immersing you in games, but I'm not so sure I'll want them for music, too. I still am considering them, however.

I am thinking to maybe keep the pc350s for gaming, and getting the SR325 for music. Thing is, I don't like the pc350s too much. Soundstage is not that great and the bass is lacking. It's great for hearing or understanding teammates, but that's not so hard in the first place. I'd like more bass when it comes to games, and I know the 770s offer it, but I just don't know how they'll do with positional sound.

I could actually by the AD700 pro and and the 325, or I could get something cheap like the Koss SB40 headset, which is great for positional sound, and possibly get an RS1 for music if I save a little bit more.

Mar 29, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by themanbeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard the DT-770 specifically in regards to games, but FWIR about the bass, that specific quality would be its downfall for this. You don't want a prominent bass for games like FPS, at least as far as an advantage standpoint goes. This is also why I would take the AD700 over the DT-880.

Like I said though, thats just from what I've read. I have used a pair of Proline 650, and those were downright terrible because of the bass involved - overshadowed important details like footsteps when explosions were going off even a bit far away from where I was.

Yes.. The AD700 has great bass for competitive play.. I gamed with the 770.The pro 250 ohm version. I wasn't really impressed.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 48
Honestly, this "DT-770-80" has no midrange stuff is getting old.

Yes, the 770-250 has a serious lack of midrange. It's also gritty as all hell. What confuses me though is the assumption that the 80 shares this problem. It doesn't, in fact I'd consider it to have a better midrange than the DT880.

Take the challenge on this one: burn a -80 in for +200 hours and listen. The bass tightens, the midrange becomes clear as the bass moderates. If anything, the true flaw with these headphones is that the upper register can be a bit sharp at times.

When I read someone explaining what a headphone sounds like without hearing it though, that's just ridiculous.

Mar 30, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #28 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
much to chagrin of other members, I'm gonna suggest the Bose TriPort for gaming, at least give them a try, for music, yes, better exists, but for gaming, they seem to meet the needs of most gamers above and beyond:

comfortable over extended sessions
decent isolation
good soundstage
good positioning
good bass (so explosions, gunshots, etc sound like they're supposed to)
and they aren't all that expensive (a lot less than your $400-$500 budget, and if you positively can't stand them for music, you'd have ~$400 left in the bank to do whatever with (more 'phones, speakers, whatever)
wink.gif
)

honestly, they aren't "the best", but the audio in 99% of games won't really "improve" once you meet the majority of the above requirements (you can skimp on comfort and bass impact to a degree, mostly relative to personal preference), and their quality is above and beyond what most of these games are going to "make use of"

now, for rock music, they aren't "bad", but I've no doubt many people would prefer something that they feel to be "better" (although "better" is quite subjective)

and before anyone makes a silly remark:
yes I own them, yes I prefer them over even my electrostats for gaming (notice those last two words)

::edit
"I refuse to buy DT770 at current price when people snagged them for $68" <- then you probably aren't gonna buy them ever, period.
I believe it was the AD700 going for $68, the DT770 was going for something around $130, and that was tmk a one time thing (like K601's being $100 or less on HeadRoom), hold your breath all you want, there are plenty of pretty shades of blue
wink.gif

No no no no. You are a bose fanboy. I don't like you for that.
biggrin.gif

I play games like:
-Company of Heroes
-COD4/COD5
-CS:SOURCE
-DOD:SOURCE
-UNREAL 3
-LEFT4DEAD
-TF2
-CRYSIS/WARHEAD
-GEARS
-RED ORCHESTRA
-RED ALERT 3
-MANY OTHERS

I'm a very long time, dedicated gamer.
You will be disappointed with the bose! Muddy!

If you want nice, real explosions, beleivable impact for all you gunshots, satisfying soundstage, and comfort, go for

Denon AH-D2000 (~280$)
Beyer 770-80 ohm (~200$)

If you're really on a budget and can sacrifice some bass quantity, but want the extension (low-low bass) get:

Sennheiser HD 555 (~100$, lean bass, great stage, comfy highs)
Audio Technica A700(~130$, closed, slightly more bass)
Audio Technica AD700(~110$wider soundstage, crispy sound)

You have to trust me on this one, bose are not what you want.

On the plus side, you can actually use the ones I've listed for music, instead of dropping a ****-ton on stats.

E7200 @ 3.66ghz - 3GB Corsair 800 @ 4-4-4-12-1T - Asus 680i
EVGA GTX 260 - CM690 - Corsair 550
Xonar STX -> Denon AH-D2000 / Logitech Z5300E

Samsung LN32A550 32" 1080p LCD

Mar 30, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 48
My suggestion is to get the headphones you want best for listening to music. Any of these HiFi headphones will be more than enough for your gaming needs.

I've used the AD900, HD650, D2000, AHD-550 and a few other headphones while gaming, and have not had any improved gaming performance. Games I've played, COD4, TF2, CS1.6 for shooters.

Mar 30, 2009 at 2:12 AM Post #30 of 48
There is also the beyer mmx-300, better mids and soundstage than dt770 (close cousins to the dt770 05) and they have a good mic already attached. You can feel the guns shoot in the fps along with still not overshadowing everything else that is going on in the game. Sound pretty good with rock too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back