Best Gaming Headphones for ~$300?
Dec 22, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #76 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you sure? I have a pair of 780s and they are absolutely horrendous for gaming. If you play any sort of serious game where positioning is important (e.g. CS 1.6), do NOT use the 780s. I used to play competitively for a long time and my old pair of plantronics DSP-500 are better for gaming than the 780s.

Agreed. The 780's are the worst audiophile headphone that i've used for gaming. Small soundstage and non precise 3D sound. They also physically hurt the hell out of my ears. Great for music, though.

Dec 22, 2009 at 2:08 PM Post #78 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced is good. I just recommended the GD Compass/AD700 combo fror the normal people who aren't nuts like us.. My gaming rig cost me 1,150 for my amp and dac. My dac was modded to be balanced. For slow paced survival horror I prefer my DT48 for it's high resolve and clarity.. I use my K280 for balls to the wall type games due to their visercal imaging. They just put me in the middle of the battle field like no other headphone. My planar audio technic 810 are a blend of the headphones above for gaming.. But overall no dynamic headphone under 400 covers all the bases like the DT880. I regret selling them.

Sounds like you have a nice setup.

I'm using an Auzentech Forte as transport to my Audio-GD Compass to my D5000s with JMoney pads (soon to be APS V3 recabled). I'm eventually hoping to upgrade my source/amp, either to Audio-GD C-2C and DAC19MK3 (I'm a fan of Audio-GD sound with Denons), or to a balanced setup with the Little Dot DAC1 and MKVII, and just having my cable reterminated.

That upgrade won't be happening for a long, long while though, already over budget
frown.gif

I'm actually hoping to pick up some DT880s again soon though, as I did really like them. I may actually just hold off on the amp/source upgrade for a few years anyways, and just enjoy my new gear.

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #79 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHATTTTTTTT!!!!!!! Umm...er....Open backs with lower frequency response will always provide a more rich and detailed soundstage than any closed back will ever hope to provide...whoa....thats the first time I ever heard anyone say avoid open backs hehe.

You didn't read the entire thread, did you? My opinion's been changed thanks to a few other posters comments. When I asked this question 5 years ago, I got the response, "Go closed for gaming...over and over and over and over. Go Beyer 770's! They have BASS!" And so for 5 years that's really all I've known. Now compound what I heard w/ my situation and you can see that closed can's were really the only good option. At the time I had a pc w/ 1 Tornado 92mm and 4 TT Smartfan II's. They are not quiet and open headphones would be useless. Now my pc's much quieter today, however I still live in an older apt complex in Phoenix. My unit's on the top floor in the corner so there's nothing to protect my office room w/ shade or another apt's air conditioned space. When it hits 110 out here that AC gets loud and does not shut off. I can't shut my door because it'll get hotter. Open headphones just wouldn't cut it. Finally, I used to go to a LOT of LAN partys. Again, open cans don't work in that situation.

For my under $200 budget and extreme comfort requirements, there just wasn't anything else besides the 770's. And even now, I'm not sure there's really anything around the $175 paid w/ velour muffs that go all the way around my ears. Is there?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. The 780's are the worst audiophile headphone that i've used for gaming. Small soundstage and non precise 3D sound. They also physically hurt the hell out of my ears. Great for music, though.

Wow, really? I'm pretty sure a friend just picked those up. How do they compare w/ your 770's? Agreed on the fit though. They crushed my skull and sliced up my big ol dumbo ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back