Best Gaming Headphones for ~$300?
Dec 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #61 of 79
Interesting. I have a friend w/ those and from the short time I heard them on an electronic track, they were great. But they're a little too small around my ears.
frown.gif

So specifically for best open cans, DT880's? Which Ohm? And for closed? I'm considering getting rid of my 770's.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #62 of 79
For gaming, yeah the DT880s are the best open cans hands down IMO, and 600 ohm is the best, but if you don't have an amp that can drive the 600 ohm version 250 ohm is almost as good, just the 600 ohm is smoother.

And for closed, Denon D series cans with JMoney pads and Lawton Audio wood cups, definitely. If that's out of your budget, probably Audio-Technicas out of what I've heard.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #63 of 79
Would a PIMETA built for my 580's or the amp on the Auzentech Forte be enough for the 600 ohms?

The AT's have that pleather that...well, I hate it. If that can be swapped, I'd be ok. What do the Denon D + mods go for though?

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:37 PM Post #64 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusEx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>

Best. Game. Ever.

I love your user name.
beerchug.gif

Dec 21, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #65 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For gaming, yeah the DT880s are the best open cans hands down IMO, and 600 ohm is the best, but if you don't have an amp that can drive the 600 ohm version 250 ohm is almost as good, just the 600 ohm is smoother.

And for closed, Denon D series cans with JMoney pads and Lawton Audio wood cups, definitely. If that's out of your budget, probably Audio-Technicas out of what I've heard.

I'm glad people are starting to agree with me that the DT880 are the cans to go to for gaming..Unless your budget is under 100.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #66 of 79
A little off topic:

If you use headphones for your consoles I would highly recommend to stop using the RCA jacks for stereo because current gen stuff uses low end DACs in them.

Thank goodness ever since the PS2 came out we have digital output via Toslink for surround sound but the most important part is that it outputs digitally! So by getting yourself a good DAC (DacMagic, Little Dot DAC I/II, V-DAC, etc) you can make the sound of the games better (just like CD Players). Thank goodness the modern systems (don't know about the Wii) can output via Toslink.

Getting a good DAC/Amp/Headphones will be a hell a lot better than using low end speakers and the internal DACs.

Long story short if you want to improve your sound on your current consoles with headphones I would recommend doing the Triple combo (DAC/Amp/Headphones).

Toslink is so flexible it just makes my mouth waters on how many things you can do with it.

For online gaming I don't use a mic since I don't feel like talking when playing and I usually shut off voice chat since I don't feel like hearing a 12 year old cursing.

Dec 21, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #67 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by HyperDuel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little off topic:

If you use headphones for your consoles I would highly recommend to stop using the RCA jacks for stereo because current gen stuff uses low end DACs in them.

Thank goodness ever since the PS2 came out we have digital output via Toslink for surround sound but the most important part is that it outputs digitally! So by getting yourself a good DAC (DacMagic, Little Dot DAC I/II, V-DAC, etc) you can make the sound of the games better (just like CD Players). Thank goodness the modern systems (don't know about the Wii) can output via Toslink.

Getting a good DAC/Amp/Headphones will be a hell a lot better than using low end speakers and the internal DACs.

Long story short if you want to improve your sound on your current consoles with headphones I would recommend doing the Triple combo (DAC/Amp/Headphones).

Toslink is so flexible it just makes my mouth waters on how many things you can do with it.

For online gaming I don't use a mic since I don't feel like talking when playing and I usually shut of voice chat since I don't feel like hearing a 12 year old cursing.

The analog section in consoles are horrendous.. They were made for digital..

&, yes, I agree with everything you just said...

For 400 you can have a killer headphone gaming rig.. GD Compass/AD700

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #68 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The analog section in consoles are horrendous.. They were made for digital..

&, yes, I agree with everything you just said...

For 400 you can have a killer headphone gaming rig.. GD Compass/AD700

If I was doing the triple combo I would use my SR225i, the Little Dot I+ and actually get a DacMagic because I want to try out the upsampling plus the XLR outputs are nice to have if you want to go to the balanced route in the future.

But you see like CD players and computers video game systems are very customizable, just most people don't realize that. :p

Once again thank god for Toslink. Screw you Sony for not letting SACD go on Toslink.
deadhorse.gif

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #69 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by molokovellocet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 780's it must be the S-logic or something the 3d positioning is much better than my D7000.

Are you sure? I have a pair of 780s and they are absolutely horrendous for gaming. If you play any sort of serious game where positioning is important (e.g. CS 1.6), do NOT use the 780s. I used to play competitively for a long time and my old pair of plantronics DSP-500 are better for gaming than the 780s.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #70 of 79
Quote:

If I was doing the triple combo I would use my SR225i, the Little Dot I+ and actually get a DacMagic because I want to try out the upsampling plus the XLR outputs are nice to have if you want to go to the balanced route in the future.

But you see like CD players and computers video game systems are very customizable, just most people don't realize that. :p

Once again thank god for Toslink. Screw you Sony for not letting SACD go on Toslink.
deadhorse.gif

Balanced is good. I just recommended the GD Compass/AD700 combo fror the normal people who aren't nuts like us.. My gaming rig cost me 1,150 for my amp and dac. My dac was modded to be balanced. For slow paced survival horror I prefer my DT48 for it's high resolve and clarity.. I use my K280 for balls to the wall type games due to their visercal imaging. They just put me in the middle of the battle field like no other headphone. My planar audio technic 810 are a blend of the headphones above for gaming.. But overall no dynamic headphone under 400 covers all the bases like the DT880. I regret selling them.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #71 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Balanced is good. I just recommended the GD Compass/AD700 combo fror the normal people who aren't nuts like us.. My gaming rig cost me 1,150 for my amp and dac. My dac was modded to be balanced. For slow paced survival horror I prefer my DT48 for it's high resolve and clarity.. I use my K280 for balls to the wall type games due to their visercal imaging. They just put me in the middle of the battle field like no other headphone. My planar audio technic 810 are a blend of the headphones above for gaming.. But overall no dynamic headphone under 400 covers all the bases like the DT880. I regret selling them.

For the games that you play that is actually a pretty good set up. If I had a 360 I would get some of those newer Arcade ports that is being released in Japan only. The Grado does a good job for those games.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #72 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would avoid anything open. Closed headphones have always been better for me to pinpoint noises...like footsteps.
biggrin.gif

I've the HD580's and the DT770-250 Ohms. For gaming I prefer the Beyer in every way possible. They're superbly comfortable, isolate pretty well, and have lots of bass for EXPLOSIONS!

A friend of mine recently got some Ultrasone HFI-680/780? I can't remember, but they had a much better sound than my Beyer's w/ plenty of bass. The only disappointment was that the muff wouldn't go all the way around my ears, well, and they're pleather, hi quality pleather, but nonetheless not velour. The Beyer's go all the way around my dumbo ears and provide great comfort because of it.

WHATTTTTTTT!!!!!!! Umm...er....Open backs with lower frequency response will always provide a more rich and detailed soundstage than any closed back will ever hope to provide...whoa....thats the first time I ever heard anyone say avoid open backs hehe. I get a more natural soundstage with my HD 485 ( used cuz of the nice bass experience in gaming ) over a closed backs crammed soundstage. I dont really know how to word that, but im sure vets of audio will understand. The soundstage for both are pretty equal but one is on a higher more realistic plain of existence, and one is artificial. Open backs will always be better IMO.

having said that, I really cant recommend anything for that price that is acceptable for my tastes. :[ I've failed you. I am truly sorry for this. *stabs and wrenches knife up and to the left of stomach.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #73 of 79
Quote:

For the games that you play that is actually a pretty good set up. If I had a 360 I would get some of those newer Arcade ports that is being released in Japan only. The Grado does a good job for those games.

Thanks. The 48's are actually boring for most genres, but slow SH games like Silent Hill, they do extremely well.

Dec 22, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #74 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by swbf2cheater /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WHATTTTTTTT!!!!!!! Umm...er....Open backs with lower frequency response will always provide a more rich and detailed soundstage than any closed back will ever hope to provide...whoa....thats the first time I ever heard anyone say avoid open backs hehe. I get a more natural soundstage with my HD 485 ( used cuz of the nice bass experience in gaming ) over a closed backs crammed soundstage. I dont really know how to word that, but im sure vets of audio will understand. The soundstage for both are pretty equal but one is on a higher more realistic plain of existence, and one is artificial. Open backs will always be better IMO.

having said that, I really cant recommend anything for that price that is acceptable for my tastes. :[ I've failed you. I am truly sorry for this. *stabs and wrenches knife up and to the left of stomach.

In general, open back is ideal for gaming on many fronts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back