Best Gaming Headphones for ~$300?
Dec 7, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #46 of 79
Lol, I've got a tiny head according to some. It's true though, my head is small. My DJ1 Pro's look more like a helmet than cans lol. But why would they be uncomfortable if you have a small head? Simply because they're so big? Anyways thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
Oh, I almost forgot. I haven't actually purchased the X-fi xtreme gamer, I was just assuming that would be a good choice, since all I would use it for is gaming. Do you have any other suggestions for sound cards dedicated almost purely to gaming? And are the ADD700's Circumaural? I find them to be the most comfortable, simply because nothing is touching your ears. I only ask because the HD555's look like 100% over the ear but the AD700's are circular pads that look like they may rest on the ears. And one FINAL thing i swear to god! I hear the AD700's lack in bass which sounds almost unappealing to me, if i cranked up the card's EQ to pump out more bass would it sound good? Or all distorted and fuzzy?

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #47 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by dub Beatz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, I've got a tiny head according to some. It's true though, my head is small. My DJ1 Pro's look more like a helmet than cans lol. But why would they be uncomfortable if you have a small head? Simply because they're so big? Anyways thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.
Oh, I almost forgot. I haven't actually purchased the X-fi xtreme gamer, I was just assuming that would be a good choice, since all I would use it for is gaming. Do you have any other suggestions for sound cards dedicated almost purely to gaming? And are the ADD700's Circumaural? I find them to be the most comfortable, simply because nothing is touching your ears. I only ask because the HD555's look like 100% over the ear but the AD700's are circular pads that look like they may rest on the ears. And one FINAL thing i swear to god! I hear the AD700's lack in bass which sounds almost unappealing to me, if i cranked up the card's EQ to pump out more bass would it sound good? Or all distorted and fuzzy?

Auzentech Forte. Best sound card out there for gaming and general headphone use, AND it has a built in dedicated headphone output with headphone amp, so you can drive pretty much any cans decently.

If you have a higher budget and get the Forte, I recommend Beyerdynamic DT880 wholeheartedly, if not AD700/AD900/A700/A900 are all great choices.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #48 of 79
Alright, I may be able to fit that into my budget. Thing is, i don't want to go over $200 for both card and cans, so it might be difficult to get Forte plus AD700, since AD is 90 and forte is 140... And the DT880 is WAY out of my price range. Idk, i was thinking if i got forte and hd550's would i be happy? Because i'm currently using some $14 USB logitech crap wear headphones. I mean, i don't need the ultimate setup, but would the HD550's be good enough? or are the AD700's so much better it's no contest? Keep in mind, i'm talking almost purely about positioning and directional, not so much quality for music and ****, but purely games and surround

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #49 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodiuh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as it works for you.
biggrin.gif

I own a pair of HD580's and the DT770's and several different X-Fi models including the Auzentech Forte. In BF2, F.E.A.R., COD4, and L4D, the closed back Beyer gives a much more accurate sense of space when picking folks off based on sound cues.

And you get the added benefit of reducing external noises, which further helps immersion. Factor in the LAN party and open headphones would never work for me.
beyersmile.png

Another recommendation often given are the Audio-Technica ATH-A900's. These are some pretty amazing headphones for gaming...and music! I would have gotten these as I prefer the sonics over my Beyer's, but the velour ear muffs on the 770's make long sessions very pleasant.

I've been researching what headphones to get for gaming (1st priority) w/ classical, classic rock & techno (2nd priority) for about a month now.

you're the first person ive ever heard say closed headphones are better for positional audio, every1 else has said open ones are
confused.gif

Dec 10, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #50 of 79
I would 2nd that one of the best soundcards is Auzentech Prelude or Forte if not the best from a gaming point of view. It certainly blows Creative's respective counterparts out of the water as well. I have the Prelude w/ me and have ordered a Forte to go w/ my HD800. And yes I own Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer soundcard but as they use cheap electrolytic, sound qualities aren't as sharp or crisp like Prelude/Forte especially in the mid/high frequencies. Unlike Creative, Auzentech uses solid state caps and high quality opamps. After switching to Prelude from my Xg, the difference was quite noticeable to a degree where I could even tell the difference blindfolded. I also have a Benchmark DAC1 Pre which is at least 10x more expensive (MSRP: $1600 USD) than what Forte cost me but from the perspective of pure gaming, I'd much prefer to use Prelude/Forte over my DAC1 due to the emphasized directionality and availability of customizable EQ for my specific taste. As far as flat-lined EQs are concerned, Benchmark Pre sounds better but I like to have trebles upped by 3-4dB in MW2 or CW (Crysis Wars), so I switch over to my Prelude to enjoy better enemy pinpointing and sharper gunfire and related effects when I game.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #51 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by vopop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're the first person ive ever heard say closed headphones are better for positional audio, every1 else has said open ones are
confused.gif

I have an idea. Let's all play F.E.A.R. combat and when you all manage to die just before turning a corner because I heard you first, maybe that'll help explain things?
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:44 PM Post #52 of 79
Quote:

I have an idea. Let's all play F.E.A.R. combat and when you all manage to die just before turning a corner because I heard you first, maybe that'll help explain things?
biggrin.gif

Have you ever used a proper pair of open cans to game with GOOD equipment? Such as the DT880 or K701, not Audio-Technica AD700s? DT880 is by far the best gaming headphone I've ever used, the only closed cans I've ever heard that come close are heavily modded D series from Denon, and D2000 the cheapest version with all the mods to get to that point will cost upwards of $700.

If you can tell me a closed headphone that has better positional audio than either the K701 or DT880, I'll be impressed. And don't just name off random headphones I want to hear this from your personal experience because I'm willing to believe if you honestly believe what you're saying you've never used a good open can.

Dec 12, 2009 at 11:02 AM Post #53 of 79
If proper means $200+ headphones and $300+ amp, then no. My best open cans are the 580's. And if its that much better I don't wanna know. I'll just take your word for it and keep on living in blissful ignorance on my meager forte, pimeta, 770 250 ohm setup.

Hmmm, which of those double better for music? Damnit, now you've got me interested in the 701's. I don't know whether to thank you or blame you for this.
wink.gif

Dec 12, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #54 of 79
Quote:

If proper means $200+ headphones and $300+ amp, then no. My best open cans are the 580's. And if its that much better I don't wanna know. I'll just take your word for it and keep on living in blissful ignorance on my meager forte, pimeta, 770 250 ohm setup.

Hmmm, which of those double better for music? Damnit, now you've got me interested in the 701's. I don't know whether to thank you or blame you for this.
wink.gif

Urgh, DT770s, their soundstage is so limited man you really don't know what you're missing. If you ever get a little extra money, I highly recommend you pick up DT880s, or if you need to stick with closed the A900s (Denon D series is the best closed headphones for gaming after mods, but before mods they kinda suck).

By no means are the DT770s bad, they just don't compare to certain other cans. They certainly aren't the worst out there though. Luckily, if you can drive them you can drive DT880s which are godly.

Dec 13, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #55 of 79
Great...

Well, I do go to a fair amount of LAN's and also appreciate being able to drown out the sound of my AC, PC, or kids screaming (old apt), so closed may well be a fact of life.

So for music would you pick the 880 or the 701? Also, for closed, the A900 over the Ultrasone 780?

Fortunately, I did get in on 2 good deals recently. A cheap 360 and the Triple.Fi deal, so I'm not really using the gaming computer @ all. Given that, I'm more inclined to go w/ the better pair for music as I prefer to hear the thump of my living room sub to headphones.
biggrin.gif

Gonna have to do some searching and see if they make a good headset for the 360...

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:38 AM Post #56 of 79
Quote:

Great...

Well, I do go to a fair amount of LAN's and also appreciate being able to drown out the sound of my AC, PC, or kids screaming (old apt), so closed may well be a fact of life.

So for music would you pick the 880 or the 701? Also, for closed, the A900 over the Ultrasone 780?

Fortunately, I did get in on 2 good deals recently. A cheap 360 and the Triple.Fi deal, so I'm not really using the gaming computer @ all. Given that, I'm more inclined to go w/ the better pair for music as I prefer to hear the thump of my living room sub to headphones.
biggrin.gif

Gonna have to do some searching and see if they make a good headset for the 360...

For music, definitely the 880, same for gaming. The K701 just sucks the fun factor out of audio to me. It's great positional, but everything just sounds so "blah".

I can't comment on the Ultrasone 780 as I've never used them but I have heard good things about them, probably worth a try. In that price range, anything regarded as decent gaming cans should do you well.

Since you go to LANs and have a noisy environment, stick with closed. Some good closed options are any Audio-Technica closed cans in your price range, Ultrasones (from what I've heard, this is not personal experience speaking), Shure SRH840, or any of the Denon D series line (make sure you get JMoney pads to go with Denon cans or they suck, JMoney pads make the soundstage a LOT better, and make them compete with open cans).

For music out of those, I personally choose the Denons, which with JMoney pads also happen to be the best for gaming, but they are quite bassy so if you aren't a fan of powerful thumping bass then go for Audio-Technicas.

As for what I use, I alternate between DT880 and D5000s (heavily modded, started with just JMoneys though), depending on my situation.

Dec 13, 2009 at 4:49 AM Post #58 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For music, definitely the 880, same for gaming.

Well, I already have the 770's for gaming. And considering how infrequently I've been playing PC games, I'd probably rather go w/ the 880's. We'll see. Hopefully the Triple.Fi's will cure my disease for another year or so.
biggrin.gif

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #59 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can't comment on the Ultrasone 780 as I've never used them but I have heard good things about them, probably worth a try.

Well it's 5.1 for your head, hard to beat, certainly the best I've heard however I'm not a huge gamer.

Dec 13, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #60 of 79
I have the 780's it must be the S-logic or something the 3d positioning is much better than my D7000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back