best gaming cans
Sep 22, 2007 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

johnjester

New Head-Fier
what is the best pair of gaming cans i can buy? price does not matter just looking for the best possible sound i can acquire for use while gaming, i had looked into the HD595 and HD 650s but am told that those are not the best for gaming but more so better for music, i do not understand what the real difference is from using an open ear to a closed ear set of headphones so if someone would also explain that that would be great

thanks

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 36
If you are not playing games on big lans, but instead in your own room, then open headphones might work.

The beyers are good. I would recommend dt990 '05 over dt880 '05, but the dt880 is good also. The soundstage is better on dt990 than dt880 for gaming.

Havent heard any other gamingphone like ultrasone.

EDIT: Check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...ght=end+gaming

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #3 of 36
Honestly.

Almost every competitive gaming clan has a website. Then they have a community forum. They also list emails for each player.

Just ask them for a simple clean answer, what do you think is the best headphone for gaming. And add, please don't say (Brand) headphone because you are sponsored. Ask for an honest opinion. Remember they only have to wear certain headphones at major lan party style competitions. For the majority of their playing its at home or wherever it is they game. For the most part they aren't even paid, just means they get free gear.

I'm sure these players are not going to be dicks. Its not like they have their own clothing line with nike kind of sponsorship.

Who else to ask better than them? Especially since they travel cross country, occasionally worldwide for major lan party style competitions.

Some here will say gamers don't know about headphones. I think that is complete garbage statement. If you use something everyday and looking for competitive edge, you don't ignore something as important as sound, your headphones.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #4 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly.

Almost every competitive gaming clan has a website. Then they have a community forum. They also list emails for each player.

Just ask them for a simple clean answer, what do you think is the best headphone for gaming. And add, please don't say (Brand) headphone because you are sponsored. Ask for an honest opinion. Remember they only have to wear certain headphones at major lan party style competitions. For the majority of their playing its at home or wherever it is they game. For the most part they aren't even paid, just means they get free gear.

I'm sure these players are not going to be dicks. Its not like they have their own clothing line with nike kind of sponsorship.

Who else to ask better than them? Especially since they travel cross country, occasionally worldwide for major lan party style competitions.

Some here will say gamers don't know about headphones. I think that is complete garbage statement. If you use something everyday and looking for competitive edge, you don't ignore something as important as sound, your headphones.

Actually, that's not such a good idea. I play CS:S competitively and my roommate is in my clan. We play in CAL:O and CAL:M and CEVO, so we're pretty legit (not to brag, lol). But my roommate swears by his SteelSeries 5H V2's and they sound like complete garbage. As do the IceMat Siberias, and the Razer Barracuda headsets. If any of these gamers tell you that you should buy them, discount their advice IMMEDIATELY! lol Stick with what the guys on this website tell you. They know much more about good sound than most anybody else.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:30 PM Post #5 of 36
If price does not matter, I think the best gaming headphone is AKG K1000 and the best still in production is Omega 2...
smily_headphones1.gif
(maybe an orpheus system
smily_headphones1.gif
or MDR R10 ) ...

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 36
These two phones are great for games:
Open -> Stax SR-007
Closed -> Stax 4070

Well you pretty much asked for it, by stating; "price does not matter"...
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnjester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the difference between dt990 and the dt770 pros, are they both close eared?

They're both closed. I think the major difference between the two is the amount of bass they have.

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:32 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They're both closed. I think the major difference between the two is the amount of bass they have.

Actually, dt990 is open and dt770 is closed.

Have never heard dt770, but it is supposed to have the most bass of any beyer not counting darths.

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by UtzY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If price does not matter, I think the best gaming headphone is AKG K1000 and the best still in production is Omega 2...
smily_headphones1.gif
(maybe an orpheus system
smily_headphones1.gif
or MDR R10 ) ...

If I understand k1000 right, then the soundstage is very infront of the head. More like a real stage. If this is the case, then I do not believe that they are good for gaming, except for the detail.

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruckus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Honestly.

Yeah.. Considering they have no knowledge of headphones outside of 'gaming' headsets.
Not really.. They are spoon feed what headsets to get by the PC gaming community, sponsors, & other 'gaming' headphone companies.. If they are really interested in finding a great pair of headphones for gaming, they would look out of the box, & go beyond the marketing 'gaming' headphone crowd. If you really want the best you SEARCH for it.. & if 5.1 is a big deal to them theres always the JVC DD 5.1 which is excellent for SS.. & doesn't need a gazillion drivers either.

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I understand k1000 right, then the soundstage is very infront of the head. More like a real stage. If this is the case, then I do not believe that they are good for gaming, except for the detail.

They are more like speakers..

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These two phones are great for games:
Open -> Stax SR-007
Closed -> Stax 4070

Well you pretty much asked for it, by stating; "price does not matter"...
wink.gif

[size=large]STAX WILL OWN YOU!![/size]

I've tried almost every dynamic can and my SR-Lambda Stax with SRD-7 and Parasound amp = Oh MY! Sound. Delicate, precise and SLAMMING!

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by spacemanspliff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=large]STAX WILL OWN YOU!![/size]

I've tried almost every dynamic can and my SR-Lambda Stax with SRD-7 and Parasound amp = Oh MY! Sound. Delicate, precise and SLAMMING!

He speaks the truth.. But you need to buy a expensive driver to use them though..

Sep 22, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #15 of 36
naw lol I paid $450 total for my Stax with amp. That is a good deal though. It would be closer to $600 usually.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back