Best "Fun" Cans?
Sep 19, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 56
I think I'm going to go with either the HF-1 or the SR-225.

Thanks for the amp suggestion holland, it looks pretty nice, I think I might get the Mini3 amp. $125 is not that bad either.

I'd still like to hear other opinion for what amp to power either the SR225 or the HF-1's for around $200

I'm listening to my e4c's straight out of my Ipod right now and I can't imagine the improvement when I get to hook up the Grado's to a line out cd player and an amp.

I can already feel an addiction starting =]

EDIT:

No not emo, I just really like how those bands seem to be able to mesh so many different instruments and sounds at the same time and yet they don't sound like noise and just sound amazing. It's truly an experience to behold, they are all very talented musicians, Dance Gavin Dance and The Fall Of Troy in particular.

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #18 of 56
I'm sure you'll get other recommendations, but the mini^3 has been recommended to me a lot as well and I'm ordering one today
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 56
I found some pictures of it in another topic and it looks very nice, I was expecting something a little more DIY looking. EDIT: I just read the description about the Portable Amp Version 2 (PA2V2) and that seems like a solid choice too, opinions?

Also, do any online retailers or services offer lossless audio by the track (think rhapsody but without the mediocre 128kb MP3's)?

Sep 20, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #20 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES-7 will be the end all of fun phones. Try it, you will love it above everything you own. The bass is tight with presence, the highs are clear, and mids are great. However, out of the box they sound muddy uncontrolled and half tolerable. After 150 hours, they will be your favorite pair that you reach for. Done, no need for anything else.

X2

Its soooooooo true, u have to give this headphone some time. They really change alot with burn in. I was dissapointed when i first put them on. My reaction was like "What, I paid soo much for this?"
blink.gif
Then after two months or so... I was like "Whoa! Tight Bass!! Mids and highs really come out now."
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #21 of 56
FWIW, this is only my opinion. My taste in music is similar to yours - hard rock and all types of metal. My search for the most fun and engaging headphones for this type of music has lead me to Grado 325i. I used a 225/PA2v2 combo for over a year, and it was quite good, though in direct comparison to my Hornet M amp, the PA2v2 sounds somewhat dull - still fun - but lacking a bit in fullness and especially in treble extension and midrange detail. I have absolutely ZERO interest in other headphones. I do have just a slight interest in other amps since the Hornet does have a small upper-mid bump in the frequency response that is ever so slightly annoying to me. As others have and will say, be sure to burn in new phones/amps before making any final judgements. Hope I helped in any small way.
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #22 of 56
I recently purchased a SR225, check Audiogon for the Decibel company selling. Great price. I've owned Senn's HD595 and Grado's SR60. Currently I have the SR225 and a Senn HD600. For your music taste, you can't go wrong with the SR225. I've not heard the HF-1. It's rare, so prices are gonna be quite a bit higher. In terms of amps, take a look at Skylab or Marroyo's portable amp reviews. They are very insightful and have had a ton of experience with the smaller portable amps.

I'm currently running my SR225 out of a Headroom Microdac and amped with a RSA SR-71. These headphones definitely rock, with plenty of detail and ooh the guitar! Love it! Drums are really punchy too.

Hope this helps a bit. Best luck in your purchase decisions. In the end, don't worry too much about the gear and get back to your music.
600smile.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:47 AM Post #23 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2

Its soooooooo true, u have to give this headphone some time. They really change alot with burn in. I was dissapointed when i first put them on. My reaction was like "What, I paid soo much for this?"
blink.gif
Then after two months or so... I was like "Whoa! Tight Bass!! Mids and highs really come out now."
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

X3

Cheap and really fun. Around this price range you can't find anything more fun than ES-7.

Sep 20, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #24 of 56
If you happen to see one for sale, check out the Beyer DT531. It's more comfortable than any Grado, sans the GS1000, and sounds better than the SR225, 325, and HF1 to my ears, while maintaining a very fun sound signature. The problem these days is availability, as they've been discontinued for a few years, and those of us with them aren't generally to inclined to get rid of them
wink.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:09 AM Post #25 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by UltraEvo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X3

Cheap and really fun. Around this price range you can't find anything more fun than ES-7.

x4. Only thing that I would caution is the weird fit of the phones. The arms tend to stick out.

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #27 of 56
Quote:

That's not a problem, just bend the metal a little and all is OK.
Here is a link to a thread that discusses it. I've done it to my ES7 and now they look "normal" already.. LOL

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=ES7+Mod

Sorry for going OT (well, kinda
tongue.gif
)

Hey thanks for that, I always thought they looked awkward when I wore them. Thanks.

Sep 20, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #29 of 56
Quote:

X2

blink.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

x5!

I hated these when I first got them and tried to sell them a couple of weeks ago. A few weeks later and they're now my favourite cans! Strange world huh?

Sep 20, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #30 of 56
Another vote for Beyerdynamic DT-531 here... Amazing fun headphones... The Groovalizer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Shame mine are now dead
frown.gif
(although I do have 1 driver and the headband for sale as parts
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back