Best "Fun" Cans?
Sep 18, 2007 at 8:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 56

shomie911

500+ Head-Fier
I've just recently gotten into high end audio and I've already purchased and have been listening to my pair of Shure e4c's for the past few months. These are great headphones but they left me wanting more in the "immersion" categories. When I say immersion I mean the ability of the headphones to surround you with music and deliver the most engaging and enjoyable listening experience possible without regard to how neutral they are.

So far from trolling around the forums here and researching different pairs of headphones I've come to the conclusion that the best pairs of headphones for this type of listening are the:

EDIT:
-Grado SR225
-Grado HF-1
-Alessandro MS2i
-ATH-ES7

But feel free to suggest any other pairs because your experience in this field undoubtedly surpasses mine.

I listen to rock/metal mostly but I'm not sure what I would call the particular genre that it falls into so I'll list a few bands...

-The Fall Of Troy
-Alesana
-Dance Gavin Dance
-BlessTheFall (I'm fairly sure they omit the spaces)
-Escape The Fate
-LostProphets (I'm fairly sure they omit the space also)
-Drop Dead, Gorgeous
-Taking Back Sunday
-The Academy Is...
-Inhale/Exhale
-Jimmy Eat World
-Rise Against
-Coheed and Cambria
-Something Corporate

And I would like headphones that would be able to produce music from those artists (and that genre in particular) with extreme proficiency.

I hope I included enough information and thanks in advance!

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #2 of 56
Weird choices you listed there...

I'd go with Grado SR225s, HD650s, or Alessandro MS2is.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 56
Welcome to head-fi, & sorry for your wallet
biggrin.gif

What source are you going to be using?

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 56
while the MS2i are engaging, they aren't as 'fun' as purebred grados I think... the SR-225 is often named as the most fun grado unless you want to spend a lot... They will be good with the music you listed as well... but you really should name your source/amp and use as well (outside/at home; can or can't leak sound; ...)

the K701 are hardly ever mentioned as fun phones... mostly they are said to be so neutral that ppl either think they sound 'natural' or boring as hell
tongue.gif

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #5 of 56
Oh I'm going to be using either a Sony CD player with a line out, a Toshiba Gigabeat, a Sony NetMD player (Minidisc), or an Apple Ipod.

As far as I've heard the line out CD player is going to deliver the best sound as long as it is used in conjunction with an amp.

I've looked into amps but peoples opinions on amps like headphones vary widely and I'm not exactly sure which one (around $200) would serve me the best but since you guys already know what I'm going to be using it for, any suggestions?

Anyway, so far the Grado SR-225 or Alessandro MS2's would be the best?

EDIT: Also these will be primarily a home headphone (as I already have a high quality portable, the e4c) and I do not care whether the can is open or closed, whatever works =]

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #6 of 56
As headphone goes you should go with the Equation:RP22X as those are my new babies.They are my "BIG MAMAS"
wink.gif

Comparing them to my Atrio M8 it's like being in another world. They are huge and isolating, you can really feel yourself in your world.

They have a sister/brother called RP21 that many have and like alot!!

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 56
I heard that a lot of people were staying away from the Equation headphones because of it being made in china and that the neodymium drivers sounded muddy.

I'm feeling myself starting to lean toward the Grado SR225 but it would need an amp right? I'm fine with buying one but I wouldn't know which one works the best with the Grado's. Also is there any easy to attach earpads that are of better comfort than the stock ones on the SR225's because thats the only thing that detracts from the Grado prestige for me.

Thanks for the help so far guys, I'm really surprised and happy to see how accommodating Head-Fi is. Definitely different than the normal "flame the noobs" approach of most forums.

Sep 18, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 56
Anyone?

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #10 of 56
The ES-7 will be the end all of fun phones. Try it, you will love it above everything you own. The bass is tight with presence, the highs are clear, and mids are great. However, out of the box they sound muddy uncontrolled and half tolerable. After 150 hours, they will be your favorite pair that you reach for. Done, no need for anything else.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #11 of 56
Hang out around the FS forums for a used HF1. Its my preference over any of those, in that price range.

There was a used RS2 on the board for $350 the other day.

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #12 of 56
I didn't think that Audio Technica was anywhere near Grado's level. Anyone else think that the ES7 are better than the SR225? I'm still not sure which amp to buy. I've heard that these below are good entry level amps:

-C&C BOX+
-Meier Audio Corda Move
-Practical Devices XM4
-mSeed Labs Spirit

I haven't seen any other quality low price amps but I'm sure I've missed a few.

Sep 19, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 56
Hi,

Of what you listed, I like the HF-1 as it's the only choice I've heard, but it's very good. I also like the Beyer DT990, in that category. It's my primary can. I would add a Mini3 to your list. (http://www.rockhopperaudio.com/ or contact MisterX, 2 different builders). I am preferring the Mini3 over all other opamp driven amps that I currently have.

As for your music? Here's a link that might explain it to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEJDGLF-e18

biggrin.gif
Enjoy. j/k of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back