Best "Fun" Cans?
Sep 20, 2007 at 12:32 PM Post #31 of 56
My most "fun" cans are RS-1, D2000, Darth Beyer (deep cups).
Need a decent amp for best results, of course.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #32 of 56
So these are in the order that you guys seem to like them:

1.)ATH-ES7 (You guys apparently REALLY like this one, I'm putting this at the top of my list of choices along with the SR-225)
2.)SR225
3.)DT-531
4.)HF-1
5.)SR325i (although I've heard loads of negative stuff about these)

I've already started and almost finished another topic about amps and came to the conclusion of ordering a AMB Labs Mini3 from Rockhopper for $125 in a few weeks along with whatever I choose for my phones.

Thanks for the help!

I'm still torn between which to get so keep voting for your favorite fun cans =]

(I found Beyerdynamic Premium DT 990's (2005) for $230, would these surpass the rest of these as a fun, engaging and immersive can?)

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #33 of 56
What negative things have you heard about the SR-325i?

Sep 20, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 56
@MrJoshua

That they were the weakest link in the Grado line. And that they were harsh sounding and overall not worth the extra hundred above the SR225.

Keep in mind none of this is from personal experience just from a lot of reading =]

Sep 20, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #36 of 56
Sep 21, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #38 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another vote for Beyerdynamic DT-531 here... Amazing fun headphones... The Groovalizer!
smily_headphones1.gif

Shame mine are now dead
frown.gif
(although I do have 1 driver and the headband for sale as parts
wink.gif
)

Whaaa? BD won't sell you a replacement driver? It was easy enough to get one for my DT831 last year...
confused.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 6:17 AM Post #39 of 56
It was uneconomical to buy the new driver
frown.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:10 AM Post #40 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just recently gotten into high end audio and I've already purchased and have been listening to my pair of Shure e4c's for the past few months. These are great headphones but they left me wanting more in the "immersion" categories. When I say immersion I mean the ability of the headphones to surround you with music and deliver the most engaging and enjoyable listening experience possible without regard to how neutral they are.

So far from trolling around the forums here and researching different pairs of headphones I've come to the conclusion that the best pairs of headphones for this type of listening are the:

EDIT:
-Grado SR225
-Grado HF-1
-Alessandro MS2i
-ATH-ES7

But feel free to suggest any other pairs because your experience in this field undoubtedly surpasses mine.

I listen to rock/metal mostly but I'm not sure what I would call the particular genre that it falls into so I'll list a few bands...

-The Fall Of Troy
-Alesana
-Dance Gavin Dance
-BlessTheFall (I'm fairly sure they omit the spaces)
-Escape The Fate
-LostProphets (I'm fairly sure they omit the space also)
-Drop Dead, Gorgeous
-Taking Back Sunday
-The Academy Is...
-Inhale/Exhale
-Jimmy Eat World
-Rise Against
-Coheed and Cambria
-Something Corporate

And I would like headphones that would be able to produce music from those artists (and that genre in particular) with extreme proficiency.

I hope I included enough information and thanks in advance!

I love my 225 and SOHA combination. These two complement each other quite well. My sr80's rock quite well unamped for work purposes too.However with high speed metal things get blurry. I listen to rock but not heavy metal with a lot of distortion. Clean guitars and drums are where these phones excell.SRV sounds excellent. One of my favorite tunes is riviera paradise on the in step album. WOW.

Sep 21, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #41 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrecked_porsche /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the A700 will be more comfortable, but don't let specs fool you about how the cans sound. They specs may look great in theory, but that doesn't mean its gonna be better than a "lesser" speced headphone. Just IMHO.

So the A700's aren't better than the ES7's? Because all the reviews I've seen on the A700 (they had more than 60 reviews on this website compared to 4 with the ES7's so I'm assuming the A700's are pretty popular) have been ecstatic about the phones. The reviews on the ES7's just didn't portray them as a superior product.

Sep 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #42 of 56
i know most people are saying the sr225 would be the best bet.

While i would consider it to be probably the best can in that lineup for rock/metal, i would hardly consider it fun. Its more of a technical can to listen to how great metal/rock/guitar can really sound. My a900's on the other hand are very fun and can do most types of music well. Especially bass guitar heavy music like tool.

Good luck, and im sure with whatever cans you get, you will be pleased.

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #43 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the A700's aren't better than the ES7's? Because all the reviews I've seen on the A700 (they had more than 60 reviews on this website compared to 4 with the ES7's so I'm assuming the A700's are pretty popular) have been ecstatic about the phones. The reviews on the ES7's just didn't portray them as a superior product.

I'm not saying either one is better compared to the other. I'm just saying be cautious when it comes to the specs of headphones in general, they may seem better on paper, but the headphone can sound rather bland, too much sibilance, or too cold or analytical or whatever term you wish to choose.

It is my personal opinion that most people never give the ES7 a chance, it is initially rather muddy and bloated but hold on to it for a few months and use some pink noise to burn in and you'll have yourself some really fun cans. However its not comfortable to use for more than 2~3 hours because its supra-aural rather than circumaural. The A700 will be more comfy. The ES7 has a reputation on this forum for being fun, toe tapping inducing fun can. This is all IMHO.
But like MrEr1c said, both are good choices, you'll be happy with either one.
wink.gif

Making a choice sucks eh? I know, I was just like you when i first joined... didn't know what the heck to choose... Too many choices. Just bite the bullet, make a decision and stick with it.
wink.gif

Sep 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #45 of 56
Why are the ATH-A900 not on Audio Technica's webiste? http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bi...e%20Headphones

The A700's are there but the A900's are missing, are they discountinued or something?

Also I found a website selling the ATH-700 for $129 http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

Which is a lot cheaper than the MSRP.

But I also found the ATH-900 for the same price as the A700's were on the other site, $179 http://www.audiocubes.com/category/H...eadphones.html

The A900 is better than the A700 right? So it's probably worth the extra $50 bucks.

I'm still thinking about the SR225 but I think the comfort and the fact that the A900's are closed makes them better suited for me.

I wish I had enough to just buy them all, that would be the head-fi way, right =] lol

EDIT: lol indigo I saw your post right after I wrote this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back