Best Full-size Sealed Headphones for gaming
Jul 7, 2012 at 4:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Bachnaify

New Head-Fier
Hi !

First of all sorry for my bad english. I read many articles and threads about best gaming headphones on this forum but I still don't know which headphones should I buy.

I read thread about ,,holy grail of gaming sound" etc. I see that you wrote that best for gaming are Beyerdynamic DT 880, Denon AD7000, Sennheiser HD800, Audio Technica A700 and ultrasone 2500.

I need Sealed headphones with good isolation.

I'm thinking about AKG K550. Is it a good idea ? I hear that AKG K550 have weak bass. Is it true ? I really need comfortable headphones and I read that this AKG K550 are very comfortable.

I play FPS games, RPG games, and many other. I need a good soundstage.

So which sealed headphones for gaming should I buy ?

I will be very, very happy if somebody help me.

Thanks and greetings :)

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 24
The Beyerdynamic 880 would be a good choice but they aren't sealed (they are semi-open). The 770 are essentially the same headphone but sealed. I have them and absolutely love them for gaming. But they require an amp to perform their best.

Jul 7, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #3 of 24
I have amp in my sound card - ASUS Xonar Essence STX. Is it enough ? Many people tell me to buy AKG K550. Even this guy - http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame reccomend AKG K550, but when I  saw this review -
http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/7073 I lost my hope. Maybe AK K550 are just overrated ?

I hear that Sennheiser doesn't make good sealed headphones.   

I'm thinking about too:

Denon AH-D1100 
Ultrasone HFI680
Ultrasone PRO550
Ultrasone HFI2400 HFI LINE
Ultrasone PRO650 PROFESSIONAL LINE
Ultrasone HFI780
Ultrasone PRO750 PROFESSIONAL LINE
Ultrasone PRO2500 PROFESSIONAL LINE
[size=8pt]Ultrasone PRO900 Balanced PROFESSIONAL LINE[/size]
[size=8pt]Ultrasone PRO 2900[/size]
Ultrasone HFI580
Audio-Technica ATH-A900
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio-Technica ATH-A700 
[size=8pt] Audio-Technica ATH-A700X
[size=8pt]
[size=8pt] Audio-Technica ATH-W1000X
[size=8pt]Audio-Technica ATH-A900X

[size=8pt]Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000[/size]
[size=8pt]Audio-Technica ATH-ES7[/size]
[size=8pt]Audio-Technica ATH-A500X[/size]
[size=8pt]Beyerdynamic DT 660 Edycja 2007 32 Ohm[/size]

I really don't know what i suppose to do. At present I have a cheap headset - Plantronics Gamecom 307, so I never ever had a good, solid headphones.

[/size]
[/size] [/size]
[/size]

Jul 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM Post #6 of 24
Yes, that sound card will power you headphones just fine,it is one of the best soundcards that you can purchase.

Jul 7, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #8 of 24
I would recommend the Carbon headphones from Psyko Labs.  They make gaming-only headphones.  These are NOT headphones you would want to use for music listening at all, since the drivers are just not designed for it.   They are designed from the ground up to be 5.1 gaming phones.  with these I can tell when an enemy is approaching me and from exactly which direction they are coming from.  They are absolutely amazing.  They also have a flap on each ear that you can pop open to hear the outside world while playing, or close them and be sealed....The sound positioning with these headphones in relation to the action taking place on-screen is stunning.  I can pick up the smallest sound details I never heard prior to using these.

One of the short comings of gaming headphones is a lack of or very limited low end.  The Psyko's have bass-specific drivers that can truly rock your world in FPS games...I would never use my LCD2.2's or HD800's for FPS gaming...they are two-channel stereo headphones, you know :)

Jul 7, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #9 of 24
It might help to add your location to your Community Profile

As you have the Asus Xonar Essence STX, which can drive headphones up to 600-Ohms.
You could get the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
Nice sound and comfortable, solid build.
I'm wearing my right now.

The AKG K550 is more money, but I think would be the best choice.

I own the ATH-A900X, my best sounding closed headphone, but the wings are a little weak, need to use a rubber band between the wings.

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
It might help to add your location to your Community Profile

As you have the Asus Xonar Essence STX, which can drive headphones up to 600-Ohms.
You could get the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm headphones.
Nice sound and comfortable, solid build.
I'm wearing my right now.

The AKG K550 is more money, but I think would be the best choice.

I own the ATH-A900X, my best sounding closed headphone, but the wings are a little weak, need to use a rubber band between the wings.

OK, I add my location. I read that Beyerdynamic DT770 hasn't as good isolation but what worse their durability is very low. 
AKG K550 will be ok ? Are you read this thread - http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/7073 ? This review makes me feel that AKG K550 are overrated, aren't they ?

The most important for me are comfort, good isolation, audio quality and durability. I don't care 5.1/7.1 and wheter portable. I wanna stereo headphones for games. I can emulate 5.1 (6 channels) in my sound card drivers. I hate headsets ,,4gamers". The problem is that I can't make a decision which headphones should I buy to avoid disappointment.

Again sorry for my bad english. It must be terrible to read :p 

Jul 7, 2012 at 12:52 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:
OK, I add my location. I read that Beyerdynamic DT770 hasn't as good isolation but what worse their durability are very low. 
AKG K550 will be ok ? Are you read this thead - http://www.head-fi.org/products/akg-k-550/reviews/7073 ? This review makes me feel that AKG K550 are overrated, aren't they ?

The most important for me are comfort, good isolation, audio quality and durability. I don't care 5.1/7/1. I wanna stereo headphones for games. I can emulate 5.1 in my sound card drivers. I hate headsets ,,4gamers". The problem is that I can't make a decision which headphones should I buy to avoid disappointment.

Again sorry for my bad English. It must be terrible to read :p 

I would say the DT770s are the most durable headphones I have, surprised anyone would tell you they have low durability.
Isolation is fairly decent, I'm wearing my DT770 Pro right now, comfort is fine.
Feel free to ask around on Head-Fi about the DT770, see what other Beyer owners have to say about durability and isolation and sound quality.

You can get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm from Thomann for 148 Euros (plus shipping)
The AKG K550 for 185 Euros (plus shipping)
AKG K550 sell for 240 Euros ($300) in the USA

The AKG K550 sell for a high price in the USA, so I can see reviewer saying they are over rated, for the price.

Quality headphones are usually a better choice then "gaming" headsets.

As you have the Essence STX, headphones in the 80-Ohm or higher range is preferred.

Jul 7, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:
I would say the DT770s are the most durable headphones I have, surprised anyone would tell you they have low durability.
Isolation is fairly decent, I'm wearing my DT770 Pro right now, comfort is fine.
Feel free to ask around on Head-Fi about the DT770, see what other Beyer owners have to say about durability and isolation and sound quality.

You can get the DT770 Pro 250-Ohm from Thomann for 148 Euros (plus shipping)
The AKG K550 for 185 Euros (plus shipping)
AKG K550 sell for 240 Euros ($300) in the USA

The AKG K550 sell for a high price in the USA, so I can see reviewer saying they are over rated, for the price.

Quality headphones are usually a better choice then "gaming" headsets.

As you have the Essence STX, headphones in the 80-Ohm or higher range is preferred.

What does ,,fairly descent" mean ? I can't find definition. It means that isolation is medium ? Something like not good but not bad ?
About AKG K550 - in my city the lowest price I found is 899 PLN (which is circa $259) 
Beyerdynamic DT770 costs circa $198
I'm also thinking about Audio Technica ATH-M50 which costs circa $173 but they are 38 ohm.

Jul 7, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
What does ,,fairly descent" mean ? I can't find definition. It means that isolation is medium ? Something like not good but not bad ?
About AKG K550 - in my city the lowest price I found is 899 PLN (which is circa $259) 
Beyerdynamic DT770 costs circa $198
I'm also thinking about Audio Technica ATH-M50 which costs circa $173 but they are 38 ohm.

I think the DT770s have good isolation, but I'm trying to be careful with my words.
I do not want to make something sound better then it is

Jul 7, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #14 of 24
I agree that the isolation is pretty good on the 770s and should be more than enough for gaming unless, for example, your computer fans are REALLY loud. Even then, you won't hear outside noises unless you've got the volume very low or no sounds are playing.

They are also ultra comfortable even for 10+ hours of straight usage. And while they aren't the most durable headphones in the world (my Senn 600 has better build quality) they are still very well built and will last for many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back