Best Full size headphone for Gaming/Music (Rock, Heavy Metal, Grunge, etc)/Soundstage/Comfort
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

iamWinner

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first post here! So, i'm shopping for a new set of headphones, as my main cans, Sennheiser HD 555 broke a couple hours ago. I found them quite good with gaming, but with music they sounded too laid back and boring, due to my main music genre being Rock/Metal. 

I would like to have a headphone that's very comfortable for long periods of usage, good sounstage for gaming ( I play alot of FPS, so hearing my enemy is very important), fun sound for a enjoyable rock session.. which headphone would fit my needs? Thanks!

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 5
personally i find that more laid back headphones are more enjoyable for rock, and for long gaming sessions.  i dont think theres one headphone that can fit everything you want, so you'll have to make some compromises

k701s are more foward in the treble and mids, and have great soundstage for gaming.  k701s with the bumpy headband can be uncomfortable
dt990 are more fun than k701s but dont have as wide a soundstage.  beyers are always very comfortable
ma900 i havent read much on, but mad lust envy rates them very high: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-12-27-2013-mrspeakers-alpha-dog-added

Dec 30, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 5
Honestly I've been chasing the same thing for years. For semi-closed phones and a basshead + what you seek the D2000 were it. Especially amplified (auzen forte, FiiO e9, Denon AVR-1613). But nothing compares to my planar magnetic Hifiman HE-400's + D2000 pads or Stock w/foam spacer removed. WOW! Great for all the above and everything else. I game FPS, RTS, sims galore, etc... love these for soundstage. Music is amazing....all of it. Bass when it needs to be there, speed and separation is unequaled by similar priced phones. I got mine for $319 shipped. Well worth it at that price and after hearing them, I'd pay $400 for them! I almost bought another pair of D2000...glad I didn't. The HE-400's are amazing and may be what you're after...may not. Research them and maybe test them out if you can. 

Dec 30, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #4 of 5
  Honestly I've been chasing the same thing for years. For semi-closed phones and a basshead + what you seek the D2000 were it. Especially amplified (auzen forte, FiiO e9, Denon AVR-1613). But nothing compares to my planar magnetic Hifiman HE-400's + D2000 pads or Stock w/foam spacer removed. WOW! Great for all the above and everything else. I game FPS, RTS, sims galore, etc... love these for soundstage. Music is amazing....all of it. Bass when it needs to be there, speed and separation is unequaled by similar priced phones. I got mine for $319 shipped. Well worth it at that price and after hearing them, I'd pay $400 for them! I almost bought another pair of D2000...glad I didn't. The HE-400's are amazing and may be what you're after...may not. Research them and maybe test them out if you can. 

Thanks for the reply. Are thesse HE-400's heavy? I heard they are quite heavy to use for several hours..

Jan 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Ya they're heavy, but I can't say that bothers me much at least with the time I have to use them. Most sessions I use them in are less than 3 hours. Though I've used them for as long as 4-5 hours and yes I did need to take a couple minute break in between, but I do even with my lighter and more comfortable headphones...and I will say with my D2000 pads  on the HE-400's their comfort is solid! Plus many have installed the $15 beyer headband pad for extra comfort...I don't feel I need that yet. For the sound these headphones put out, I'm willing to take a couple minute break every couple hours to enjoy what the provide. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back