Best Encoding Software
Nov 17, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus
... but it compresses darn slow!!!

Another option is to use '--alt-preset fast standard' (or '--alt-preset fast standard --multi' if you have dual processors). LAME though is slow. That's the primary reason I use QT/iTunes AAC.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 53
dibrom himself (one of the main coders behind LAME) said that --aps is tuned to be aurally lossless for 99% of people on 99% of samples. --apx and --api were only created to satisfy "anal" people. they will still have the same problem with that same 1% that --aps had a problem with, the problem will just be less "severe" as if it were severe at all.

if you want to use it anyways, just go to your external compression settings and instead of "--alt-preset standard" in the "extra command line settings" box, type "--alt-preset extreme" or "--alt-preset insane".

And yes, EAC rips slowly, and LAME encodes slowly....you learn to live with it for the peace of mind that your mp3's are the best around!

-Z

Quote:

Originally Posted by stymie miasma
I've been fiddling with EAC and LAME, but can't seem to bring up any of the cool stuff like alt.preset.insane etc. Only alt.preset.standard. Do I need to download some extra scripts? Further, are these extra settings noticably superior to alt.preset.standard?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:32 AM Post #18 of 53
Cool, thanks. I had read that, but wasn't sure how much faith to put into it, particularly with a lot of people here using apx and api.

Nov 17, 2004 at 7:59 AM Post #19 of 53
Where can I find a copy of the old beta of EAC?

I have many Japanese CDs produced by Avex Trax, and they are copy-protected and will not rip. I want to be able to play the music on these discs on my iPod once I get it.

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:14 AM Post #20 of 53
in my experience, iTunes can rip avex trax cds that EAC cannot. iTunes also supports japanese text from CDDB, something that EAC does not. I had given up on encoding these cds until I tried them with iTunes.

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:01 AM Post #21 of 53
Zemo, You said to delete all the other junk in the string and just use standard. I think this other stuff might have come from the part of the eac wizard that said use forum recommended settings instead of standard. I chose that thinking it might sound better. What are your comments? I am using eac v0.9 beta 4

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:33 PM Post #24 of 53
LAME 3.90.3 --alt-preset standard.

Newer LAMEs aren't as good with the preset, and hydrogenaudio.org still recommends that one.

--alt-preset standard is the best VBR preset. --alt-preset extreme gives a higher bitrate, but nothing really improves on test clips so I wouldn't waste the space with it..

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #26 of 53
donunus, those extra things were to alter filters and biitrates and junk. Why mess with something that's been tuned to deliver optimal quality for a LONG time? --Alt-Preset Standard is all that is necessary, period.

And yes, right now 3.90.3 is the "best" version. It's been tested extensively, and is the hydrogenaudio.org reccomended compile. 3.96.1 has the potential to match 3.90.3 in quality, but hasn't been tested any nearly as extensively.

-Z

Nov 17, 2004 at 9:21 PM Post #27 of 53
I use EAC and have it set up to rip to FLAC format. If I have a really scratched up CD with errors that EAC can't overcome, sometimes I'll just say screw it and let CDEX rip it (CDEX doesn't care about errors as much), but generally a CD with lots of errors is never going to sound right (lots of clicks/pops).

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scrith
sometimes I'll just say screw it and let CDEX rip it

What aspects of EAC make is superior to CDEX, in that you wouldn't just use CDEX all the time.

(that wording sounds kind of snotty, but its certainly not meant to be)

Nov 17, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #29 of 53
i have been using eac and lame 3.90.3 on a win2ksp4 machine, 160gb hd, athlon 2.4, sony cd-rw crx175e2. i ripped ok computer no problem at ape, but when i tried tool aenima, eac just froze as lame started encoding. i have gone through eac and set the offset for reading (should i also set the offset for writing or no?), along with the other settings for the drive, and tried setting up lame to encode AFTER eac is done ripping the wave files as well. it still freezes every time. should i impliment some of the eac command line switches?

Nov 18, 2004 at 12:47 AM Post #30 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonadam
What aspects of EAC make is superior to CDEX,

Don't know CDEX, sorry. But my guess would be the secure mode of EAC. AFAIK it makes a big difference if used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back