Best Encoding Software
Dec 16, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Super-Gonzo
Personally, I use EAC to rip to FLAC, which I then use to encode to ogg vorbis... but then, I have a Karma, not an iPod.

When it comes to lower compression rates, I think Ogg Vorbis beats MP3 any day. And in my personal opinion, beats WMA as well.

I wish someone could find a wa to make ogg work on an ipod, I stick with lame -aps....

an what doesn't beat WMA....it usuall does poorly in the DBT at Hydrogen audio, at least in lower bitrates, where it seems the newer versions of ogg rule!

Scott

Dec 16, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #47 of 53
Okay, I'll check out that link in a minute.
I have a Dell DJ, I think I'm stuck with MP3. I didn't see anywhere that said it will play APS, FLAC or those other formats that I am not familiar with. I know it won't do OGG.

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #48 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.PD
Okay, I'll check out that link in a minute.
I have a Dell DJ, I think I'm stuck with MP3. I didn't see anywhere that said it will play APS, FLAC or those other formats that I am not familiar with. I know it won't do OGG.

APS = Lame --alt-preset-standard, I sure hope it can play VBR mp3's or I'd send it back!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottder
APS = Lame --alt-preset-standard, I sure hope it can play VBR mp3's or I'd send it back!
smily_headphones1.gif

OH!
I feel stupid now.
icon10.gif

Yeah, it plays VBR, that is all I have. I have been using Musicmatch for years. Then yesterday I updated it to version 10. Version 10 sucked for tagging and cataloging. So, I went back to version 9 and I am pursuing other methods for handling my large collection of MP3s. I see Winamp thinks all my files are named a certain way which they are not, I get track title in the artist location. All my file names and tags are set up with track number first so that my car's CD/MP3 player will play albums in the correct order.

Musicmatch 10 organizes every album according to either artist or now various artists. The only problem is if there is two artists on one song in the album it comes up in the library as a various artist album.
confused.gif
After re-naming a few songs to eliminate the second artists name, I thought it would be easier to re-rip a CD. NO, that won't work because there is no way to edit the artist/title information before you rip the CD. Older versions always had that ability. Even 9 doesn't but I never noticed before. Musicmatch does not use Free data base anymore, that service is now done by musicmatch's own network. And another thing they did was to eliminate the ability to have more than one library. I can open different library's in version 9 and earlier.

But anyway, I need to find an alternative to Musicmatch. I don't get along well with Winamp, so I am not sure what to try next.

Dec 17, 2004 at 12:17 AM Post #51 of 53
What exactly is the "additional commands line option" in EAC under the "compression" tab, and when is it used. I noticed it does not change when I change my choice of "high" or "low" quality and that it includes 128kbs in the line versus the bitrate displayed in the bit rate box directly below the command line (which does change with the quality selection). Thanks for any hints.

Dec 17, 2004 at 8:29 AM Post #52 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by aeriyn
Where can I find a copy of the old beta of EAC?

I have many Japanese CDs produced by Avex Trax, and they are copy-protected and will not rip. I want to be able to play the music on these discs on my iPod once I get it.

I found one way around was to simply create an image of the disc using Alcohol 120% (use the "Audio CD+" setting and make sure "Read Sub-Channel data from current disc" is selected) and then mount that image with a A120 virtual drive. Open up EAC and set the source to the virtual drive, and rip to your heart's content.
wink.gif

I also found this method to be rather useful when trying extract from heavily scratched CDs - when EAC chokes on a disc, I find that Alcohol120 is able to read it correctly, in most cases. Simply make an image of the CD using the "Audio CD" setting, and mount it (as above). EAC will rip from the image, it's EXACTLY the same quality as extracting directly from the CD, and it's much faster too (since the image is being read from your HDD, not the CD drive) ...

Dec 17, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #53 of 53
For everybody out there:

If you have trouble with installing the different en-/decoders like Lame 3.90.3, 3.96.1 flac and so on try the "Bundle-Version" of EAC (all en-/decoders with configuration files included)

http://www.forum.eac-audio.de/index.php?showforum=10

Download-link can be found under "Changelog"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back