Best Encoding Software
Nov 16, 2004 at 8:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

donunus

Headphoneus Supremus
I am curious to what encoder sounds best and what settings does it sound the best with? Any opinions on WMA 192kbps on wmp9 compared to same bitrate mp3s? What should I use permanently for converting my favorite cd tracks to mp3 for my portable player?

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 53
Use Exact Audio Copy to rip and lame to encode to mp3.

Any version should work, but the recommended versions are v0.95 prebeta 3 for EAC (still retains the manual TOC feature you may need to rip copy-protected CDs) and v3.90.3 for lame (reputedly extensively tested.)

Nov 16, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #3 of 53
How do i use lame? where do I get it? Doesnt winamp pro use lame to encode mp3s? Thats what I use right now. How do different software packages using lame differ in sound quality? How about mp3 pro? or frnkenhauffer

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 53
Use EAC to rip...there is no better ripper when it's set up correctly. And yes, use lame 3.90.3 to encode to mp3, preferably at one of the --alt-preset switches. I know this sounds somewhat confusing right now, but don't worry, there are guides that will walk you through it every step of the way!

http://www.chrismyden.com/nuke/modul...&file=painless

There ya go! I'll be writing my own guide soon too, closely mirroring that one.

Good luck!

-Z

Nov 16, 2004 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 53
Yes, go for EAC. It is used by most audiophiles, and shows great results.

Nov 17, 2004 at 12:11 AM Post #7 of 53
I've had nothing but trouble getting EAC to work. Many times it will hang or fail to rip a CD correctly. I've gone back to using CDex which I like better because it doesn't have the same issues. Songs with jitters I can just re-encode. CDex has been nice to me and it was easier to set up than EAC.

They can both use any version of Lame which is nice.

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:18 AM Post #12 of 53
this is what it says %l--alt-preset 128%l%h--alt-preset standard%h %s %d
Its a good sounding setting. about the same size as a constant 192kbps file but it compresses darn slow!!! It sounds only slightly better than winamp pros converter but does it at pretty much around 5 minutes per song

Nov 17, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 53
unanimous support for lame mp3 over ogg vorbis and aac? that's surprising. would expect more competition. of course, mp3 has most compatability by far

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #15 of 53
I've been fiddling with EAC and LAME, but can't seem to bring up any of the cool stuff like alt.preset.insane etc. Only alt.preset.standard. Do I need to download some extra scripts? Further, are these extra settings noticably superior to alt.preset.standard?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back