Best earbuds under $20, maybe $30?
Nov 20, 2010 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Tehwall

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a good pair of earbuds/IEM's for under $20. Must insulate sound, have good quality, be comfortable for listening to music for hours, and not bulge or look dorky.

Here's what I've been looking at so far:
V-MODA Vibe
JBuds J2
JVC HAFX67B Air Cushion

There's so much out there that I can't figure out which to choose. I'm hopping for $20 shipped, but I'm willing to go up to $30 shipped if it's worth it. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks! :)

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #2 of 20
These should do you fine. Jk. Jk.

Go with the Air cushion's or maybe these if that style is your kind of thing.

Just a side note, the Ultimate Ears 100's haven't been released yet, so nobody knows if the audio quality is good or bad on them xD.

There isnt much in your price range, but NEVER buy SkullCandy.

Nov 20, 2010 at 7:52 PM Post #5 of 20
I use Altec Lansing Sports I got for $20 at Microcenter. Not bad - better than the Razors I picked up from Woot a couple years ago. I ordered the M1 from Mp4nation while they were on sale-hope they're enough of a jump from the Altecs to make the cost worthwhile.

Nov 20, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 20
Some great sound can be had for under $30 - no sense in settling for JVC's aging offerings or the Jlab garbage

Meelec M9 (amazon)
ECCI PR100 (ebay)
Soundmagic PL21/PL30 (mp4nation.net or focalprice.com)
Earjax Tonix (Earshack.com)

Nov 20, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #7 of 20
Hifiman RE2

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #9 of 20
I second the Meelec m9's, I've owned several pairs of higher end headphones and I was still impressed by them.  They have awesome service too, my first pair was defective and I had a replacement pair in my hands within a week of notifying them.  I did not find the bass to be overpowering at all, they have good impact and really thump but it's not bloated in my opinion.  The bass covers up the mids less than on my TF10's.  There are a bunch of deals going on with the Meelec m6 too, they're usually 50 but you may be able to find them for around $20 shipped.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
I'm looking for a good pair of earbuds/IEM's for under $20. Must insulate sound, have good quality, be comfortable for listening to music for hours, and not bulge or look dorky.

V-MODA Vibe
JBuds J2
JVC HAFX67B Air Cushion

There's so much out there that I can't figure out which to choose. I'm hopping for $20 shipped, but I'm willing to go up to $30 shipped if it's worth it. Any suggestions would be great.

A pretty tight budget... sorta like mine.

I happen to have done a little bit of research on finding quality, good sounding headphones around the net in the last few days, with an emphasis on durability... I'm more careful with them now, but my headphones sometimes get ungentle treatment such as going running with them anyway... I'd rather not have to replace it in less than a year, so that was an important criteria.

One that I found for about 25 dollars shipped (as of black friday at least) was lenntek sonix 3s at mygearstore, if you use the black friday code they advertise on the front page.

Still, the reviews on how those sounded were mixed enough that I had my reservations.  Still a good option, I'm sure, and better than alot in their price range and even above, but eh... I kept looking.

When I saw the meelectronics m11+s, I knew that that was more what I was looking for... they don't seem quite as reinforced as the sonix 3s were, but they do seem reinforced enough where it counts (stress points where the cable goes into house, the y split, the plug... cable itself seems durable), and equally importantly, they apparantly sound great for the price.

Problem is, the price is about 60 bucks.

Being the deal scrounger I am, though, I looked for a coupon code, and found one that will get you those for 37 bucks shipped (42 for the mic model) off their website, if you're willing to go a bit above your budget.  I list it below:

$30_OFF_M11

Unfortunately for me, it seems to end on monday, and I'm broke right now, haha...

But oh well.. since this site made me aware of those earphones existence I figured I may as well spread the value.  I'll just eat the extra 30 bucks or somehow get a loan real fast.  Hope the post reaches you in time, if it turns out you're interested.

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:50 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
Quote:

V-MODA Vibe
JBuds J2
JVC HAFX67B Air Cushion

A pretty tight budget... sorta like mine.

I happen to have done a little bit of research on finding quality, good sounding headphones around the net in the last few days, with an emphasis on durability... I'm more careful with them now, but my headphones sometimes get ungentle treatment such as going running with them anyway... I'd rather not have to replace it in less than a year, so that was an important criteria.

One that I found for about 25 dollars shipped (as of black friday at least) was lenntek sonix 3s at mygearstore, if you use the black friday code they advertise on the front page.

Still, the reviews on how those sounded were mixed enough that I had my reservations.  Still a good option, I'm sure, and better than alot in their price range and even above, but eh... I kept looking.

When I saw the meelectronics m11+s, I knew that that was more what I was looking for... they don't seem quite as reinforced as the sonix 3s were, but they do seem reinforced enough where it counts (stress points where the cable goes into house, the y split, the plug... cable itself seems durable), and equally importantly, they apparantly sound great for the price.

Being the deal scrounger I am, though, I looked for a coupon code, and found one that will get you those for 37 bucks shipped (42 for the mic model) off their website, if you're willing to go a bit above your budget.  I list it below:

$30_OFF_M11

Unfortunately for me, it seems to end on monday, and I'm broke right now, haha...

But oh well.. since this site made me aware of those earphones existence I figured I may as well spread the value.  I'll just eat the extra 30 bucks or somehow get a loan real fast.  Hope the post reaches you in time, if it turns out you're interested.

Huh... looks like the deal is still on for now.  They musta meant the end of monday.

Well, I got my loan =)

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 20
Thanks for sharing! I just learned about these today, and thanks to your post I have a set on order.

Quote:

$30_OFF_M11

Nov 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! I just learned about these today, and thanks to your post I have a set on order.

Quote:

$30_OFF_M11

Yea, no prob, good to see somebody got something outta that.

Also, I see you've got a d2 as well.  Nice.  Wish they'd sequel it at some point, but eh, the trend seems to be shifting towards larger pmps and smartphones anyway.  Still probably one of the nicest pmps I've had... and since it's flash memory instead of some crappy hard drive, the longest lasting one, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back