Best Earbuds For Movies??? (<$100)
Mar 23, 2011 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

ShadowNemesis87

New Head-Fier
Well I'm back again. I came on this site maybe about 6-7 months ago back in 2010 and you guys were VERY helpful. I ended up buying my first 2 pairs of serious headgear based on your advice. In a most unfortunate turn of events, the right twitter in my Panasonic RP-HJE900's just blew out 
frown.gif
  I loved those earbuds. To make matters worse it would seem as though that particular model has been discontinued, so I don't have a way of ordering new ones. $80 ...gone.

But, life goes on. So I'm here to replace them. I primarily used my HJE900's for watching movies with, so I'm interested in finding something that will be equally as impressive as they were. I'm looking for a set that can provide me with some good booming bass for the scenes with explosions but at the same time, crisp highs so you can clearly hear what the actors are saying. I'm also looking for a set that will cost me <$100.00.

Well, the floor is open to suggestions, hit me with your best shot.

Mar 23, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #3 of 22
fischer eterna's (good soundstage, will give you thunderous bass for great effect in movies)

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #4 of 22
Brainwav M2 or M3's are another pretty good option.  If you don't want to spend too much, I'm sure the M2 will aptly serve its purpose.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 22

Well, after taking a look at everyone's suggestions, I would say the Fischer Eterna or ECCI PR401 are more my speed. Thank You munkyballz for the suggestion of the Brainwav m series but they're just not my style.
Question for you ljokerl: How is the bass on the ECCI PR401?, because I'm finding relatively the same price on both those and the Eterna(around $75), so now it's just a matter or which is the better of the two.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 22
if u like the v shaped frequency curve and good hard hitting bass and nice treble and relatively recessed mids, the eterna is your piece of cake.
the bass on them is so awesome, i used to have a full sized portables which i thought were bassy, and after listening to eterna's, they sound like thin and nonexistent bass.
i was like What, is that how powerful eterna's are, i guess

and yes, soundsatge is big, very ciritcal for watching movies. at the end of the day, no iem will be good or great  for movies, but u gotta make do

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Well, after taking a look at everyone's suggestions, I would say the Fischer Eterna or ECCI PR401 are more my speed. Thank You munkyballz for the suggestion of the Brainwav m series but they're just not my style.
Question for you ljokerl: How is the bass on the ECCI PR401?, because I'm finding relatively the same price on both those and the Eterna(around $75), so now it's just a matter or which is the better of the two.

Well the Eterna has more bass but the quality of the PR401's bass cannot be faulted. I would say they are slightly less bassy than the HJE900 with similar balance in the midrange and treble. The Eterna is bassier than the HJE900 but has somewhat more recessed mids and treble.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #10 of 22
Hey thanks for all the help guys, I really appriciate it. 

I checked out the Shure 215's kenniepark, they are something to consider but looking at the feq.range I would say they are a good runner-up set.

Well, it would seem as though the trend is shifting towards the Eterna's, so I'm giving heavy consideration to going with those as my choice, with the PR401's as my back-up plan just in case, but I'll wait a bit longer to see if anyone else has anything that rivals or bests the Eterna's as a suggestion.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #11 of 22
Try the SoundMagic PL50's.  I've been using them for a couple of years coupled with an iBasso D10 for watching DVD's on the training bike.  They handly the midrange well, such as dialogue but also are good with sudden changes in sounds, as during action movies.  Also, very comfortable.

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #12 of 22
How about Fischer SB's?  I honestly wouldn't like the bass of the hje900 for movies myself.  My MD's are my movie IEMs.  Artillery and explosions sound fantastic.  My Es5 might unseat them, amazing w/ fireworks but haven't tried movies on them yet.  I wonder how the Thinksound TS02 would sound. 

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #14 of 22
i tell you what, i;ll watch an action movie with my eterna's and report back.

also, silver bullets, even with their greater soundstage, have more recesed mids, which might make it unsuitable for dialogue

Users who are viewing this thread

Back