Best dynamic driver IEMs?
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 97

Stuff Jones

1000+ Head-Fier
While the BA flagships enjoy advantage speed, frequency response and separation I still don't think they can touch the timbre, dynamics and sheer visceralness of DDs. There are also coherency advantages with single drivers vs multi drivers.

However it seems like all the higher end DDs are a little wonky in one obvious way or another. Maybe it's easier to get a decent response with bunch of BAs covering narrow frequency ranges than a single DD for the whole range? I've only heard the JVC FW01 and the Rhapsodio Galaxy v2 and both have their problems, though I much prefer the cheaper JVCs even with their somewhat bloated midbass. I had high hopes for the CA Vegas given how much I liked the Andromedas (except that they were BAs), but reviewers ding the Vegas for exaggerated bass and sibilance.

What do other DD fans view as the best (most balanced and musical) DD IEMs?

Jun 30, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3 of 97
I vote Vegas all the way. But I am biased cuz I have them.

The Bass is prominent, but not dominant, however, it is mature in that it only sounds when called upon. Some songs that produce much bass in less mature sounding IEM's don't produce much bass in the Vega because it reproduces the sound according to the recording. I tried out the Dorado and it was simply way to much bass all the time. The Vega's subbass/midbass balance does a great job of balancing it out, too.

That said, if you prefer a leaner bass, then the Vegas aren't as much for you and you would be more oriented to the Andromeda side of things, which for your case, doesn't have the DD's, So I understand where you're coming from.

As far as sibilance goes, I have experienced some sibilance out of my FiiO X3ii with it using silicones. Foam tips do completely eliminate sibilance.

That said, I do agree that if the balance of the Vega was toned down on the bass to a sound signature somewhere in between the Vega and Andromeda, I think it would have been more generally agreeable to just about anyone.

If you already had the Andromeda I couldn't recommend the Vega more to compliment it, but if you don't @Oscar-HiFi does have some nice recommendations and the Xelento can compete very nicely pricewise.

Definitely keep up your search for the single DD driver, though! You are absolutely right about how a single driver provides optimal unmatched cohesion and how the DD provides an essence of music at a visceral threshold that I haven't heard BA's nor Hybrids accomplish. It's so worth it to have a single DD that can pull off high resolution detail and provide that level of emotion. I don't know how other TOTL single DD's are, but the Vega is beautifully immersive in a subtle yet welcomingly involving way that is inspiring, bringing musical listening sessions to a level of the art that artists intended.

Make sure you have a good source in mind for the single DD you find. A warm tube AMP/DAC really brings out the DD and opens it up to blossom even more (Alo Audio does a good job with theirs if you have the extra money). However, TOTL DAP's such as the new sony WM-NM1A/Z, Astell & Kern (ones I have tried) will make you happy, too, as I am sure others can.

Jul 1, 2017 at 2:44 AM Post #5 of 97
I'm coming around to the idea that hybrids can really work in terms of giving the impact and dynamics of DDs while also retaining a lot of the speed and agility of BAs.

Personally I've never been a fan of pure BA units, or at least the ones I've heard, as they lack that very subjective "musicality" thing for me, often sounding unrealistically dry and fast for my tastes - and quite frankly if you're having to stuff 3,4, 5 or more drivers into a single earpiece to adequately cover the audible frequency spectrum then IMO something is wrong somewhere - I'm great believer of the "Keep it stupid simple" approach.

I've been running some Sony XBA-N3s, which use a DD for the bass and mids and a BA for the highs, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the way the whole package gels to my ears. They've got real depth and impact to the bass, the mids are indeed very musical and liquid, and the BA treble unit really does add some pace to the proceedings, and gives transients some very good timing, all while not getting harsh (actually at times the treble is almost too polite). As far as my aural receptors are concerned it's like the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #6 of 97
Basically I've been using nothing but DD iems, I'd have to say the Lyra II, DITA Dream, and what I use personally which would be the Beyerdynamic Xelentos.

Quite honestly there isn't much selection when it comes to DD iems, and the DITA is so painfully difficult to drive, and the Lyra and Vega lean too warm for my tastes. Thus, I'm basically left with just the Xelentos, which I'm very happy with. If you like the sound of a DD iem, the Tia Forte sounds pretty good too, but that's just horrendously expensive. DITAs lower end options are good too, but I've had 3 pairs break on me, and have decided to move on from them, though I do find their sound most appealing to me.

In the end you're basically stuck with these options, but tbh they're all solid performers. If you like a warm rich sound sig, go for the Campfire Audio iems, but if you lean towards the cleaner more airy and detailed sound the DITAs or Xelentos would be the way to go. If you're loaded, get the Tia Fortes, they're a hybrid iem that's pretty darn close to perfect, but costs as much as a small second-hand car.

Jul 1, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 97
I'm coming around to the idea that hybrids can really work in terms of giving the impact and dynamics of DDs while also retaining a lot of the speed and agility of BAs.

Personally I've never been a fan of pure BA units, or at least the ones I've heard, as they lack that very subjective "musicality" thing for me, often sounding unrealistically dry and fast for my tastes - and quite frankly if you're having to stuff 3,4, 5 or more drivers into a single earpiece to adequately cover the audible frequency spectrum then IMO something is wrong somewhere - I'm great believer of the "Keep it stupid simple" approach.

I've been running some Sony XBA-N3s, which use a DD for the bass and mids and a BA for the highs, and I have to say I'm very impressed with the way the whole package gels to my ears. They've got real depth and impact to the bass, the mids are indeed very musical and liquid, and the BA treble unit really does add some pace to the proceedings, and gives transients some very good timing, all while not getting harsh (actually at times the treble is almost too polite). As far as my aural receptors are concerned it's like the best of both worlds.

But if you can clearly distinguish between the DD and BA sound, how can hybrid's ever have a truly coherent sound?

Jul 1, 2017 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 97
Other than what's been mentioned already, one of my personal favourites (chose it over the Vega, EX1000 and Fourte), the Oriolus mk2. If you want to hear a hybrid done right, this would a good choice. I also own the Xelento, and the Oriolus clearly has superior, well-extended bass.

Depending on where you're located, might not be easy to audition. Edit: I also auditioned most of the IEMs listed here when I decided to move away from purely BA units (with the exception of Fitear, decided the BA-only sound wasn't for me), and am using these with my WM1Z, if it helps.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #10 of 97
Another vote for the Xelento. Have not heard the Vegas or the Dream (did like the truth edition).

Have the first version of the Oriolus with the Mk2 cable, which has the same sound as the Mk2 version, and yes it is a great iem. However, it is 3 balanced armatures assisted with a dynamic driver. It's a different beast from the Xelento. Size difference is obvious, but soundwise the Xelento has a better total package, in term of somewhat neutral sound-stage, detail, mids, and treble. I agree that the Oriolus have superior, well-extended bass but I prefer to listen to the Xeleno on most days.

Jul 1, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #11 of 97
Add my vote for the Beyerdynamics. I've gone back and forth on BA vs DD for years and bought I was happy with my Westone W60 until I listened to these bad boys. Totally blown away by hearing them at CanJam. Detailed and lively and musical and fun all at once -- to my ears, they held their own against high end IEMs twice the price (and I listened to them back to back against JH and 64 Audio units). Campfires were just a little too bassy for me, but I have weird ears.

Jul 2, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #13 of 97

I like pure BA's, but they depend so much on the balance of the sound signature. The CA Nova had one of the most beautiful tonalities I've ever heard, but it was too emphasized on the female vocals for me. The Andromeda is simply superb. But with the pure BA's you always here a specific tonality throughout any genre. With something like the Vega, it is much more dynamic and adjusts to the recording, but the DD on the Vega is very different from typical DD's like what you see with Dorado, Lyra II, Periodic Audio, and other hybrids like those with Trinity Audio or any DD that isn't a diamond driver TBH.

Pure BA's let you take a comfortable "emotional step back", and if they are TOTL or even well made mid tiers they provide a unique musicality with the way they present detail. But you definitely don't get the musicality you get from a single driver DD. It's very unique if TOTL.

I do prefer a DD, especially a single driver DD, hence my ownership of the Vega, but I think pure BA's done right can be a wonderful complement to one's audio gear at least, if not an endgame for many. I'm a big fan of hybrids as well if they are done right.

As I've said before, for @Stuff Jones , I highly recommend not compromising his search for a single driver DD since it is special. It really is too bad the Vega is too bassy for him. I will say with burn in the Bass tones down quite a bit, though. But I myself would like to see CA come out with another single DD noncrystalline diamond drive that has a sound signature a little more even keeled. I love the Vega, and bass is never an issue for me. I demoed the Dorado and couldn't stand the bass on that earphone. The Dorado's bass comes from a typical DD and always seemed dominant and prominent even if there was a little bass. It seemed the sound signature centered around the bass. It was too much all the time, always noticed, always the center piece. With the Vega, that somehow barely occurs unless the musician created basscentric music. The bass on the Vega may be substantial, but it is balanced beautifully so that it is complementary to the sound signature and never really stealing the show unless the musician intended to create basscentric music.

If @Stuff Jones preferes lean bass like the Andromeda than the Vega isn't his cup of tea, but otherwise, if he leans towards a warm sound, I highly recommend it. Burn in has a large effect on the Vega and it really is a unique bass and sound signature that is not typical of IEM's in general and has everything to do with the diamond driver.

Jul 2, 2017 at 7:10 PM Post #14 of 97
Another vote for the Xelento. Have not heard the Vegas or the Dream (did like the truth edition).

Have the first version of the Oriolus with the Mk2 cable, which has the same sound as the Mk2 version, and yes it is a great iem. However, it is 3 balanced armatures assisted with a dynamic driver. It's a different beast from the Xelento. Size difference is obvious, but soundwise the Xelento has a better total package, in term of somewhat neutral sound-stage, detail, mids, and treble. I agree that the Oriolus have superior, well-extended bass but I prefer to listen to the Xeleno on most days.

I've only ever heard the Oriolus once before and wasn't quite impressed with the whole package, the bass sure was good, but as a whole package the big chunky shell plus the less than coherent sound, especially when compared to the Xelentos. If you do enjoy the sound of BA mids and highs then I'd guess the Oriolus would be a good pick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back