Best dynamic driver IEMs?
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #16 of 97
They're similar enough that it isn't much of a comparison, if I recall the Xelentos are brighter, but they're both essentially the same.

I was tempted to get the AKs at their reduced price but apparently there's still issues with the MMCX connectors (also on the BDs it seems too, though at least they have the longer warranty). Oh well. The wait continues.

Jul 2, 2017 at 9:11 PM Post #17 of 97
Jul 2, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #19 of 97
Yeah, I've seen that, and others have criticized him for the same.
My own tastes lie in a variety of musical genres depending on mood, classical, jazz, to indie acoustic guitar, to synthpop and edm. My preference is for earphones that are versatile. Maybe why I like the Xelanto.
I also like the Andromeda, and the Kaiser 10U, but those are balanced armatures.

Jul 2, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #20 of 97
I've only ever heard the Oriolus once before and wasn't quite impressed with the whole package, the bass sure was good, but as a whole package the big chunky shell plus the less than coherent sound, especially when compared to the Xelentos. If you do enjoy the sound of BA mids and highs then I'd guess the Oriolus would be a good pick.
Yeah, personally the Oriolus is my favourite hybrid. Don't agree about the "less coherent sound part", or the chunky comment, especially compared to other BA universals. But as I said, I also have the Xelento, and do think they're great.

Might be worth iterating that while a shortlist of dynamic/hybrid IEMs to consider can be interesting, it's only useful if you can then go and audition them in person to see which works best for you. Either way, good luck with the search, Stuff Jones

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #21 of 97
Yeah, personally the Oriolus is my favourite hybrid. Don't agree about the "less coherent sound part", or the chunky comment, especially compared to other BA universals. But as I said, I also have the Xelento, and do think they're great.

Might be worth iterating that while a shortlist of dynamic/hybrid IEMs to consider can be interesting, it's only useful if you can then go and audition them in person to see which works best for you. Either way, good luck with the search, Stuff Jones

Definitely worth auditioning them! Logic doesn't always pan out to preference.

And one thing I definitely will say, is if you haven't tried the Vega, it's worth a try. The diamond driver it has isn't like other DD's. It's worlds apart from the DD used in the Lrya II and Dorado.

The driver is almost like a hybrid of a BA and DD in one, able to pull off high resolution while providing emotional musicality.

When I went to canjam this year in NYC, it was the rave. People were blown away when they tried it cuz they weren't expecting a DD to do that. What it does almost doesn't apply to what is typically thought of DD's vs BA's nor IEM's. The reviews on campfire audio are no joke.

The reviewers I know who complained of sibilance used silicones.

For anyone out there considering a solo DD IEM, the Vega is very unique and many of the reviews don't quite touch on it very well. It may be because it takes a certain preference to want that musicality and be able to feel it. Some people are simply oriented towards All BA's, other's hybrids, and others the solo DD hits the spot like no other.

Many people report having trouble with the bass up until about 75 hours burn in and even report further change around 100 and even 200 and up to 400 they still observe a substantial "cool down".

I wouldn't downplay it unless you've tried it unless you know you are strictly for a leaner bass and are a neutralhead or a treblehead. If anyone is even slightly on the warm side of things, the Vega is absolutely phenomenal and worth every penny, and it scales up amazingly with better sources. It's definitely worth trying as I'm sure the other suggestions are.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #22 of 97
Another vote here for the Vega. I've had: Vega, Lyra ii, Galaxy V1 (soon to have V2, so this may change), Dita Answer and a few others that are escaping my mind. While the Vega isn't a neutral IEM, it is one of the most fun, engaging, musical listens I've ever had. I've gone back and forth between DD and BA IEMs for years now, but the Vega is the first one that put a massive smile on my face in the DD camp.

I want to believe that hybrids are the answer to my search, but I still cannot find one that does everything perfectly (I guess no IEM does). Right now, my favorite is the Rhapsodio RDB mk4, but it is a dark IEM with earth-shattering bass and rolled off, smooth treble. Not neutral in the least, but fun as heck.

Anyway I like this thread. It's good that dynamic driver IEMs are no longer thought of as the cheap earbuds that come with Samsung phones. I really appreciate that our favorite manufacturers are giving them the attention they deserve and making true flagships. I sure would love to hear the Dita Dream.

-Collin-

Jul 3, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #23 of 97
Another vote here for the Vega. I've had: Vega, Lyra ii, Galaxy V1 (soon to have V2, so this may change), Dita Answer and a few others that are escaping my mind. While the Vega isn't a neutral IEM, it is one of the most fun, engaging, musical listens I've ever had. I've gone back and forth between DD and BA IEMs for years now, but the Vega is the first one that put a massive smile on my face in the DD camp.

I want to believe that hybrids are the answer to my search, but I still cannot find one that does everything perfectly (I guess no IEM does). Right now, my favorite is the Rhapsodio RDB mk4, but it is a dark IEM with earth-shattering bass and rolled off, smooth treble. Not neutral in the least, but fun as heck.

Anyway I like this thread. It's good that dynamic driver IEMs are no longer thought of as the cheap earbuds that come with Samsung phones. I really appreciate that our favorite manufacturers are giving them the attention they deserve and making true flagships. I sure would love to hear the Dita Dream.

-Collin-

I'd like to hear the Dita Dream, too. The fact that they made it "reference" is quite interesting!

Jul 3, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #27 of 97
Personally, yes. But I have seen them show up used from time to time, if you'd prefer that route. I take it finding a pair to audition before buying isn't feasible for your location?

Sadly, probably no chance to audition them. But if I find the right deal, I'll take a gamble :)

-Collin-

Oct 28, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #28 of 97
I have the Vega, as well as Oriolus, Fidue A91, Sony XBA-Z5s and UM Merlin V2s. They are all very good, but have very different strengths and weaknesses. I really like the natural punch of a dynamic driver- it's not about frequency response-it's about time-coherence and a convincing pressure wave.....

That said, I also really like my ciem EE Athena and my new custom CTM C-6s. The CTMs punch like crazy, especially for a mulit-BA. It is quite liberating to not have to mess with tips and insertion depth/angle, all of which have a profound influence on the sound of an iem....

Oct 29, 2017 at 5:44 AM Post #29 of 97
I'm a dd kind of guy and have owned/auditioned/listened to most of the current high end. One of the major issues tends to be the housings, connections and cables - moreso than ba iems. These are due in part to the size of the drivers. Some like the Ditas are for medium to large ears - small ears ( like mine) are in a world of pain with these, this applies to the Sony Ex800 and 1000 and the Hifiman Re 2000 as well. The Campfire Audios have a comfy housing but suffer from a badly positioned equalization vent - outside in anything greater than a gentle zephyr you will hear wind noise. The Senn 800 cable issues have been discussed ad infinitum, as have the AK T8ie (mk 1) mmcx housings, though the latter are very comfortable in the ear. All in all practicality tends to be an overlooked factor for this class of iem.

Sound-wise (all using either a Cowon Plenue 1 or a Chord Mojo) - my musical tastes are very broad running from plainchant to Oneohpoint trix never.
The Sonys are beautiful bass timbre but lacking in the treble, the Hifiman is a midrange monster, rolling off a bit at the extremes, the CA Lyra is well balanced, but lacks a little punch,the Vega is IMO way too tilted toward the bass, moreso than the Sonys - its good bass but bleeds too much into the mids, Ditas are very well balanced but with a mild midband suckout, Beyer is punchy but with a mild disconnect between bass and mids. The AKs (mark II) are to my ears the most even handed across all genres, but may be a touch too warm for some ears.

Looking forward to trying both the Dream and the 800s.

Regards,

Giles

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #30 of 97
I have larger ears, and huge ear canals, which are also quite curved and ellipsoidal-- there, I've said it. :dt880smile: I have a really hard time getting a good seal with almost every universal- e.g., the original Ditas have a too-short-for me nozzle, so I can't really even position them properly, even though they are not too big for my ears pinnae. I have tried all of the Campfire iems, and none cause me any discomfort (I own Vegas, but have not worn any of the others for any apprecialble amount of time, just to be clear). Empire Ears are working on a hybrid, which sounded promising at the RMAF Canjam this year, and CTM has a few prototypes, which I believe are all-BA, but had a really DD feel to them, in all the right wways......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back