Best DSLR Under $1500 (With Lens) For Image Quality Alone?
Jul 26, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #61 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At this price point, I would just get a refurbished 30D. Resale value is higher on the newer item also. I would just get a used 20D.

A refurbished 30D is $900.....a used 20D is $500. A new 20D at under $900 is a good deal IMO. You're getting a full one year Canon warranty. The value of the 20D won't depreciate as much as the 30D.....especially if rumors are true that the 40D is around the corner. That will make the cost of the 30D very similar to the 20D

Jul 26, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #62 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A refurbished 30D is $900.....a used 20D is $500. A new 20D at under $900 is a good deal IMO. You're getting a full one year Canon warranty. The value of the 20D won't depreciate as much as the 30D.....especially if rumors are true that the 40D is around the corner. That will make the cost of the 30D very similar to the 20D

I'm just saying I wouldn't buy a new 20D when you get get a used/refurb cheaper and if you wanted to spend around 900 then I rather get a refurbed 30D. 30D will resale more because it's a newer model. In any case, I wouldn't recommend spending that much on body but more on a lens or pair of lenses.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #63 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just saying I wouldn't buy a new 20D when you get get a used/refurb cheaper and if you wanted to spend around 900 then I rather get a refurbed 30D. 30D will resale more because it's a newer model. In any case, I wouldn't recommend spending that much on body but more on a lens or pair of lenses.

Well, I don't think it matters either way, because I really don't plan on buying the 30D or 20D in the near future, at least with my research going the way it is. As a side question, how important is the dust removal system on the Canon XTi, and is there any way you can completely avoid getting dirt on the sensor in the first place? I'd much rather save 200 dollars and go for the rather cheap XT, but if dust really is a noticeable problem with DSLRs, I suppose I wouldn't mind dumping the extra cash for peace of mind.

Jul 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #64 of 95
I didn't read any of the thread, but I'm of the opinion that even a 6mpix dslr can take pictures that are more than good enough for most uses, and then you have extra cash available for quality glass. So much that if you had the option of a $300 body and a $1200 lens, you're MUCH better off than if you have a $1200 body and a $300 lens.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #65 of 95
I've seen used XT's go for $300-350 with kit lense. I picked up 2 already.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #66 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I don't think it matters either way, because I really don't plan on buying the 30D or 20D in the near future, at least with my research going the way it is. As a side question, how important is the dust removal system on the Canon XTi, and is there any way you can completely avoid getting dirt on the sensor in the first place? I'd much rather save 200 dollars and go for the rather cheap XT, but if dust really is a noticeable problem with DSLRs, I suppose I wouldn't mind dumping the extra cash for peace of mind.

Yeah, I agree with recommendations that you're best off spending more on the lens than the body.

Canon XTi dust removal is just minimally effective.

If you really want to avoid getting dust on the sensor, get a P&S camera
tongue.gif
or a weather sealed DSLR and lens and never change the lense. Dust is just a part of life for most DSLR users.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #67 of 95
OK buy a body. Which body?

I suggest the D50, now discontinued from Nikon but available everywhere. I would buy it off Nikonians dot org which is a great Nikon place

As far as the lens, well the best walkabout lens ever made is the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX so that would be my choice. It's VR so you don't have to worry about camera shake.

You will also need a bag, caps, filters, batteries, etx and a Nikon SB-600 or equivalent, but I like Nikon.

Total cost for body and lens will be $400 for the D50, $800 for the lens, and $175 for the SB-600 + shipping.

You are still under $1500 with filters, caps, batteries, and bag and have an excellent set up.

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #68 of 95
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the D40! It's a great DSLR especially as a starter. Light weight, great controls. I also agree 100% with the people who said spend more on the lens and less on the body.

Off topic: I'm a informational reading fanatic and have read tons of photo books/forums. I decided I wanted to take a photo class to hone my skills and get critiques. I opted to take a 35mm B&W class because it focused more on the art side then the digital classes do and I don't regret it for even a second. The class is lovely, the assignments really motivate you to work on your style and technique. My professor hasn't mentioned the rule of thirds or anything of the sort and I think he did that on purpose as to not have us focus on any "rules" since in the right conditions any of the normal no nos can actually result in an awesome picture. They are thinking of having a Photo 2 class that will focus mainly on freedom of expression, I'm really thinking about taking that. I love school!

Jul 26, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #69 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Puppysmith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK buy a body. Which body?

I suggest the D50, now discontinued from Nikon but available everywhere. I would buy it off Nikonians dot org which is a great Nikon place

As far as the lens, well the best walkabout lens ever made is the Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX so that would be my choice. It's VR so you don't have to worry about camera shake.

Indeed the D50 has been discontinued and it has been replaced by the superior D40
wink.gif
I would highly suggest a new/used D40 over the older D50.

The lens.... I couldn't agree more this lens is just awesome, it's so versatile and sharp, and the VR actually works! It's my lens of choice on my D200.

Jul 26, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #70 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by NoValidTitle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed the D50 has been discontinued and it has been replaced by the superior D40
wink.gif
I would highly suggest a new/used D40 over the older D50.

Keep in mind that many Nikonians recommend the D50 over the D40/D40x because the D40 is not an upgrade to the D50. Nikon stripped down the D40 to get it to be more affordable. Since it doesn't have a focusing motor in it, you're limited to your lens selection (for AF capability). Canon peeved a lot of their customers when they first introduced the EOS system (which was not compatible with the manual FD system). But at least since the Canon system is standardized, there's only one lens system that works with it.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:37 PM Post #72 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keep in mind that many Nikonians recommend the D50 over the D40/D40x because the D40 is not an upgrade to the D50. Nikon stripped down the D40 to get it to be more affordable. Since it doesn't have a focusing motor in it, you're limited to your lens selection (for AF capability). Canon peeved a lot of their customers when they first introduced the EOS system (which was not compatible with the manual FD system). But at least since the Canon system is standardized, there's only one lens system that works with it.

Except EF and EFs. =T

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #73 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by M0T0XGUY /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No way of avoiding dust on the sensor even if you don't change lenses. When you zoom in you will automatically suck air into the body and thus the dust.
The dust removal system is just bs imo since all it does is shake the dust off the sensor but the dust can't get out of the body. It will lie down again, probably on the sensor.

Jul 26, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #74 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by laxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Except EF and EFs. =T

Yep. Find that kinda bummer they did that. Only profit from that is cheaper lenses (for them to build).

Jul 26, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #75 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only thing that the D40 is superior to the D50 is its in camera image processor, better noise level, and larger lcd. Other than that, it is inferior to the D50 in every way.

First the post asked for the best deal for $1500.

Second. You are mistaken, the sensor of the D50 and D40 is the same size and the noise level of the D50 is equal to that of the D40.

Third. The D50 body can be purchased for ~$400 which is far cheaper than the D40x which is over $600 for, IMO, an inferior camera.

If the buyer wants 10MP go with the D200 but not for $1500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back