Best Drummers: Rock
Feb 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #156 of 172
Since he hasn't been mentioned and I've only just discovered him/them, I have to add to my list Kris Myers from Umphrey's McGee. Flexibility seems to be his main strength. He can follow an improvised stretch being consistently inventive yet sounding all the time like every move is pre-planned and perfectly suited.

Feb 11, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #157 of 172
Jimmy Chamberlain from The Smashing Pumpkins
Stephen Perkins
Tim "Herb" Alexander

The dude with Santana at Woodstock that beats the hell out of his kit during the "Soul Sacrifice" solo

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:52 AM Post #158 of 172
Danny carey and thomas haake. Time signatures are tough as hell, and haake does a different thing with his hands and his feet. Now that's talent IMO.

I haven't heard a lot of these drummers though, so that's my limited view! I love tool, so maybe I'm biased? or maybe there is a reason I love tool? Yeah, the latter.

Tyler, a little drunk

Feb 12, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #159 of 172
Bill Bruford
Danny Carey
Dave Lombardo
Keith Moon

Feb 12, 2008 at 6:19 PM Post #161 of 172
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Keith Moon - The Who
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Aynsley Dunbar - Journey
Tommy Alridge - Thin Lizzy, Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake
Jimmy Chamberlain - The Smashing Pumpkins
Gavin Harrison - The Porcupine Tree
Danny Carey - Tool
..and of course Nick Mason - Pink Floyd, for his a bit odd style but lovely sound and feeling.

..to mention a few. Of course I forgot a few..

Feb 12, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #162 of 172
A couple that sometimes get overlooked, but can definitely hold their own. Of course, both of these guys excel in the funk genre.

Dave Abbruzzese - Did some non-mainstreamed funk work before working with Pearl Jam on the Vs. and Vitalogy albums, also later version of some cuts off of Ten. Incrediably dynamic drummer. Just check out the alternative cut of Even Flow from Pearl Jam's greatest hits album. Kind of dropped out of existence after Pearl Jam gave him the boot.

One of my favorites, Chad Smith from the Chili Peppers....Just do yourself a favor and put in Blood Sugar Sex Magik...He used to hit real hard, but not so much anymore, IMO...Still love his pre-One Hot Minute work.

Feb 12, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #164 of 172
Quote:

Originally Posted by lromlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John Bonham - Led Zeppelin
Keith Moon - The Who
Mike Portnoy - Dream Theater
Aynsley Dunbar - Journey
Tommy Alridge - Thin Lizzy, Ozzy Osbourne, Whitesnake
Jimmy Chamberlain - The Smashing Pumpkins
Gavin Harrison - The Porcupine Tree
Danny Carey - Tool
..and of course Nick Mason - Pink Floyd, for his a bit odd style but lovely sound and feeling.

..to mention a few. Of course I forgot a few..

Jihad to that brother. A few additions however:

Roger Taylor - Queen
Neil Peart - Rush
Mitch Mitchell - The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Deen Castronovo - Journey, Bad English, Soul SirkUS, Vai, Rodgers etc.
Barrett Martin - Screaming Trees, Mad Season, R.E.M., QOTSA etc.

Feb 12, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #165 of 172
my list:

Danny Carey
Jon Bonham
Neil Peart
Mike Portnoy
Bill Bruford

My favorite is Danny Carey because of the way Tool integrates his abilities flawlessly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back