Best Drummers: Rock
Dec 20, 2006 at 3:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 172

Abouna

500+ Head-Fier
I'm a big drumming fan so I thought it'd be nice to compile a list of great drummers in case I'm missing something I should know about (hear).

Drummers that are unique and have a definite sound is the gist. My favorites are:

John Bonham, Led Zeppelin (this one is obvious)

Michael Shrieve, Santana (if you haven't seen his Woodstock set you should)

Ginger Baker, Cream, etc.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #2 of 172
Phil Collins
icon10.gif
....... sorry, had to.

As for unique, it doesn't get much more unique than the drummer from Def Leppard.

Dec 20, 2006 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 172
Zach Hill (Hella/Nervous Cop/The Ladies)
Weasel Walter (The Flying Luttenbachers/XBXRX)
Phil Elverum (Old Time Relijun/The Microphones/Mount Eerie)
Brian Chippendale (Lightning Bolt)
Tatsuya Yoshida (Ruins/Mainliner/The Gerogerigegege/Korekyojin/etc.)

Dec 20, 2006 at 6:47 AM Post #4 of 172
There are many, many incredible drummers out there. Some off the top of my head -

James Swensen-Flagg - Bubblemath
Charlie Zeleny - Behold...the Arctopus / Blotted Science
Sean Reinert - Death / Cynic / Aghora / Gordian Knot / Portal / Aeon Spoke
Bill Bruford - Yes / King Crimson / Earthworks / ...
Virgil Donati - Planet X / Ring of Fire / On the Virg
John Macaluso - Ark, TNT, Yngwie Malmsteen
Thomas LeJon - Andromeda
Steve Flynn - Atheist
Brann Dailor - Lethargy / Mastodon
Stef Broks - Textures
Bobby Jarzombek - Spastic Ink / Rob Halford / Iced Earth (touring) / Demons and Wizards
Terry Bozzio - Frank Zappa / Bozzio Levin Stevens / ...
Gene Hoglan - Dark Angel / Death / Devin Townsend / Strapping Young Lad
Tomas Haake - Meshuggah

The guy who plays for Sleeping People is very good also... don't know his name.

Lots more, of course.

Dec 20, 2006 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 172
x2 on John Bonham, Terry Bozzio and Bill Bruford.

Then there's Keith Moon! Oh, and seriously, Phil Collins is a great drummer although I can see that people might not be interested in his FM-era music.

Also, there's a drummer called Michael Jerome whom I saw live backing Richard Thompson and I think he's exceptionally talented. Here are some links for His My Space site and website. (By the way: I had to look those links up ... I'm not his brother or anything!) Check out his band Pleasure Club with audio samples here.

Dec 20, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #7 of 172
Dec 20, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #13 of 172
My favorite drummers (in no order):

Phil Collins - Listen to the Genesis albums from 1971 - 1974 (and 77-80 to a lesser degree). His playing doesn't SEEM flashy but it's extremely musical, intricate, and fluid.

John Weathers - His superb drumming gave Gentle Giant's already mind-boggling sound a tight, energetic focus. To me, similarly musical/fluid as Collins but a lot edgier. Listen to the albums "In A Glass House" and "Free Hand".

Neil Peart - One of the greatest, most influential rock drummers. As phenomenal as Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are at their instruments, it's Neil's fantastic playing that makes the band come alive.

Sebastian Thomas - Nowhere as experimental as the above but then again Trans Am's music is more straightforward than 70s Prog Rock! Still an excellent drummer with a Bohnam-esque, in-your-face sound on some songs while showing a nice sense of space and rhythm on others. "The Red Line" is Trans Am's masterpiece and his variety of playing is really showcased here. "Future Line" is another excellent album.

Bill Bruford - Versatile rock drummer who later transitioned to Jazz, has played with some of the greatest Prog Rock bands (Yes, King Crimson, Genesis (tour)). His awesome drumming on Yes' "Close To The Edge", "Fragile" and "The Yes Album" has helped make those albums classic. Shows amazing growth from King Crimsons early 70s albums to their later "reunion" in the 80s and 90s.

John McIntire - Very stylistic, intricate, complex rhythmic playing always to be found on a Tortoise release thanks to this guy. "TnT" is the standout album of the band's.

Dale Crover - Go see the Melvin's live. Just WOW. Dale is like a madman on the drums, bashing away at them like they commited sins against him and his family. Just brutal
smily_headphones1.gif

Steve Shelley - Probably the most "straightforward" or basic (for lack of a better word) drummer on my list but his playing is still precise and just plain fun and energetic, especially live. But his steady, propulsive drumming shines on all Sonic Youth releases.

Dec 20, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #14 of 172
Where's Aman?... he usually has some interesting nominations for these kinds of discussions
rs1smile.gif

John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)
Kenny Aranoff (Michelle Branch, John Fogerty... hes more of a studio/session guy from what I understand)
Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche)
Stewart Copeland (The Police)
Mike Portnoy
Neil peart

Users who are viewing this thread

Back