Best DMM under $50
Apr 17, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #2 of 25
I bought a Wavetek Meterman 16XL, NOS on ebay for $35. That is only a 2000 count meter but has some important functions like HFE testing. I just "upgraded" it with a Wavetek Series 2000 Model 2020, which is a 10000 count meter and can test capacitance to 1000uF. I got that for $50 on Ebay. With that I can match any resistor to 0.1% (theoretically). Between the two meters I am pretty well set. Both meters use 5x20mm fuses for the low current fuse, which is nice because they are relatively cheap.

I guess I am saying that in your price range, you might want to shop used or NOS to see how much bang for the buck you can get. I'm happy with those two adventures.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 25
Another vote for ebay... but don't get picky about a single model, just see what's there and buy one you recognize.

Apr 18, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 25
If you have to buy new, I like those Craftsman ones at Sears (hopefully you get a rebadged Fluke).

Apr 18, 2006 at 10:19 AM Post #7 of 25
If you nose around eBay, you can pick up a used Fluke 12 around $50. Autoranging, measures capacitance, and other good features, too.

I have one of those as well as the Fluke 187. I've been very happy with the brand.

For other Fluke lovers, check this out:

http://shop.csepromo.com/Fluke/

That's the company store at their website. You can get a Fluke hat for $3.25 and a t-shirt for $5.00. Really. I was geeky enough to order them, and they're really nice.

Back to the point; look for a Fluke 12. You can't go wrong. It'll be accurate, last forever and have good resale if you ever sell it.

Apr 20, 2006 at 2:25 PM Post #9 of 25
Tangent actually recommends the Fluke 111 in his quality tool suggestions. The Fluke 110 would not be suitable, IMHO. Of the three Flukes in their "110 series", it is the only one without AC measurement capability.

There is a killer deal at HMC Electronics for the Fluke 112 - $145 + FREE shipping. I have not found a lower price than that combination. Fry's is at $155, and most others (including Sears) are at $159. List is $170. The 112 does all of the 111 and includes a backlight for the LCD Readout. I am pondering this mightily.

The Fluke quality is as everyone says, and I'm definitely attracted to the future repair/resale advantage. However, the Fluke "110 series" departs from their normal Lifetime Guarantee with only a 3 yr warranty. Does anyone think that hurts their future worth/resale value? Opinions?

EDIT: kinda jumped beyond the $50, didn't we? I'm beginning to agree with many that if you go for a cheaper option - might as well make it a $10 Harbor Freight special. Otherwise, get something that's bulletproof with a track record.

Apr 20, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
Not that you want to stretch your budget but I got my Fluke 73 III for $75, NIB from Ebay.

Well, I figure if I set my budget at $30-50, I can hopefully guarantee that I will not spend more than $200.
icon10.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:11 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I got my Fluke 73 III for $75, NIB from Ebay.

I used a model II for many years, and loved it. The Model III fixes its most glaring weaknesses, so I'd say it's still a worthy meter. I'd have a hard time using a 100 series Fluke after using the 70's.

(In case you're wondering, the reason the higher numbered 100 series is worse than the 70's is that Fluke's newer lines use the same basic numbering scheme plus 100. So, the contemporary unit for the 110 is the old model 10. I don't quite understand why the 73 is still being made...I would have thought it would be replaced by the 173 by now. It's probably because the 17x meters don't have the real rubber surround like the older line did, so it's not as credible for field use.)

This ramble brought to you by the letter F, and the number 7.

Apr 21, 2006 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey
Tangent, do you think the 73 II is still a useful meter?

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangent
so I'd say it's still a worthy meter

I'm not sure what you mean by useful? It'll measure AC, DC, current and the same things other meters will. It lacks HFE and capacitance but most high end meters do, it's why you're supposed to get 2 meters
tongue.gif

You can check out the 73 tomorrow man, it's coming with to NY along with my RatShack meter.

Nate

Users who are viewing this thread

Back