Best DMM under $50
Apr 21, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #17 of 25
FWIW I actually like my Ratshack meter, not as much as the Fluke, but well enough that I'll keep it as my second meter. It's their top of the line model (see here) but still lacks feel and function compared to the Fluke.

N

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher
I'm not sure what you mean by useful? It'll measure AC, DC, current and the same things other meters will. It lacks HFE and capacitance but most high end meters do, it's why you're supposed to get 2 meters
tongue.gif

The B+K 2706A is a pretty nice toolbox if you want hFE, capacitance, and temperature readings from one meter.

Oh and nice custom title by the way. LOL

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
Oh and nice custom title by the way. LOL

HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH, I hadn't seen that. Don't know when it happened, I made a joke about it the other day when someone mentioned "Headphoneus", shucks I feel all official and stuff now...

On topic, yes, the B&K's are supposed to be nice, although I'm not too sure about the relavancy of the capacitance measurements that they can take. IIRC (just double checked the data sheet) they can only measure up to 20uF. I don't know about you but I don't use many caps that are smaller than 20uF.

Nate

Apr 21, 2006 at 5:33 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

On topic, yes, the B&K's are supposed to be nice, although I'm not too sure about the relavancy of the capacitance measurements that they can take. IIRC (just double checked the data sheet) they can only measure up to 20uF. I don't know about you but I don't use many caps that are smaller than 20uF.

Nate

True, but caps >20 uF are usually electrolytic, in which there wouldn't really be a need to measure them, match them, whatever. Even the "boutiquey" ones are at +/- 5-10%.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teerawit
True, but caps >20 uF are usually electrolytic, in which there wouldn't really be a need to measure them, match them, whatever. Even the "boutiquey" ones are at +/- 5-10%.

But it is nice to be able to check to see they are in good working order before you solder them down. Ideally every part should be tested.

My $50 Ebay'd Wavetek 2020 is good for up to 2000uF, but it doesn't say Fluke on the front
evil_smiley.gif

May 4, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Not that you want to stretch your budget but I got my Fluke 73 III for $75, NIB from Ebay.

OK Nate, you laid down the gauntlet. After two solid weeks of constant watching - with a lot of lost bids - I just received shipment of a brand-new-in-the-package Fluke 73 III for $51 plus shipping (about $11). Wahoo!!
biggrin.gif

May 5, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb
OK Nate, you laid down the gauntlet. After two solid weeks of constant watching - with a lot of lost bids - I just received shipment of a brand-new-in-the-package Fluke 73 III for $51 plus shipping (about $11). Wahoo!!
biggrin.gif

How are you guys getting deals like that?! I tried the same patience thing and ended up spending 80 bucks on a used one. Still works though, so I guess I shouldn't complain. The Fluke is a nice instrument.

May 5, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #25 of 25
Ebay is weird, to say the least. I first started looking at the Fluke 175 and 177. Three of them went for $100 or less - NIB - on the first Sunday night I started watching. For the next two weeks, there wasn't a single one that went below about $170. Some used ones went for as much as $150, too.

So, I started looking for the Fluke 73's - most went for over $100 new, about $75 used - just as you say. I would've given up, except for Nate's challenge.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back