Best DIY HeadPhone Amp Price / Perfomance
Feb 4, 2009 at 9:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Kitarist

100+ Head-Fier
I already asked in the headphones forum but i want to ask here also.

I'm interesting in buying or DIY a good headphone amp.

so whats better in the terms of Price / Perfomance ratio (BUY or DIY)

I just want to get something best for the buck or how some people say it
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:02 AM Post #2 of 8
You didn't mention whether this will be a desktop or portable amp and whether you want solid-state, hybrid or all tube. A budget would also help.

Solid-state:
Pimeta (especially since Sijosae Class-AB buffer PCBs are now available) has pretty much unbeatable price/performance ratio on at around $100 level. Can be both portable an desktop.

CKK-III is very very good amp at the $150 level.

PPAv2 / M^3 are both pretty awesome at the $250 level.

Of course the best bang/buck amp is the Beta22, it's world-class and since it can compete and win against basically every amp in the world, why wouldn't it be best bang/buck.
smily_headphones1.gif
Do expect to spend $600+ on a 3-channel one.

Hybrid:
The usual suspects are all great : SOHA+JISBOS, Millet MAX, Millet MOSFET MAX, SOHA2, all great amps with lots of build support.

Tube:
Haven't gone here yet, do so knowing you are usually working with lethal voltages.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 8
For a lot of DIY designs you can find a BOM that'll tell you how much it costs, then find reviews of the various amps you're considering. Then you can make a rounded decision based on your sound preference, budget and remainder of your rig.

Search is your friend.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 8
Yep, Glass Jar Audio sells amp kits. For a newbie, start with the AMB mini3. That was my first amp kit and was a fun and easy(for the most part) build.

Glass Jar Audio : Home

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 8
Kits are nice, but it's not that difficult to source parts. If there's a design you like, don't skip it because there's no kit. If you don't know how or where to source parts, ask us. It takes some time but is not difficult.

Also, a couple other kits that might interest you are available from Mapletree and Bottlehead.

Feb 5, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #7 of 8
^^^
X2, parts are not hard to order at all. You can find just about everything you need from Mouser and Digikey.
Tubes are also easy to source and plentiful if you don't desire exotic or ultra-rare ones.
Endless possibilities just from this forum alone.

Feb 5, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 8
soha + jisbos is a classis in my eyes. And if you get bored, the jibos are versitile enough to use elsewhere.

The bijou is a work of art, but a tough build.

basically, anything Alex cavalli or amb design will be a winner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back