Best DIY amp kit for LCD 2's
Feb 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #17 of 21
There should be a thread about cheap pcb a few lines down.

Pcb files will be posted openly and for free; that'll give people the occasion to comment and correct :wink: 

Feb 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #18 of 21
Wonderful! Merci/bedankt :wink: (dunno if your wal or flem). Thrilled with the info and help!

I'll chip in by documenting the build. Im right now going through options to stuff in the 19' :D Suggestions more than welcome!

Edit: btw, If I just buy a 2u front panel, could it fit the pcb, without the case and using standoffs to lift the board instead? I have plenty of room in my rack so height is not a big problem. (finding a decent 19" seems pretty hard :D, the one for a tenner was double length server rack)

Feb 7, 2014 at 4:06 PM Post #19 of 21
  Edit: btw, If I just buy a 2u front panel, could it fit the pcb, without the case and using standoffs to lift the board instead? I have plenty of room in my rack so height is not a big problem. (finding a decent 19" seems pretty hard :D, the one for a tenner was double length server rack)

It could be done. That'd mean all the connectors (input/output) would be in front. For mechanical reason, so would be the ac input I guess. And you'll have to be extra careful anytime you move things around in your rack. I'd be afraid of breaking the amp sooner or later.

If you want to do it "easy" and cheap:

- buy the headnhifi.com following parts: O2 PCB, the parts only kit (with knob), the O2 desktop kit, the power supply adapter, and a case. Total should be 64.12€.
- Buy a 1U front panel.
- Attach the O2 at the back of the front panel using a pair of L brackets. Obviously, you'll need to drill holes in the 1U panel to access the O2, using the front panel as a guide.
- You're done without much risk.

PS: I'm from Liège (Luik) but I can speak Dutch too. My technical Dutch vocabulary is extremely limited however
wink.gif

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #20 of 21
Wowsers you legend! Now that's a plan. 

Dat maakt deze nler erg blij :wink: I sometimes do sound design masterclasses on uni and jargon/technical words are simply always in English. De afsnij frequentie for instance simply does not sound right :D In a bi-langual country there might be a tendency to keep making new words for things tho?

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:07 PM Post #21 of 21
Hi:
I built a Chinese Zen amp, and am pleasantly surprised with the SQ on my LCD-2Fs.  My setup is:

16/44 FLAC files > WD 3TB NAS > iMac 27 running Win7 under Bootcamp > Foobar2000 > EasyQ > iFi iUSB > Meridian Explorer > DIY Zen Amp > "Silver" Litz XLR 4-pin balanced cable > LCD-2F

I was inspired by this site:

http://headwize.com/?page_id=105#comment-190879

and sourced the amp kit from

http://diyhifishop.com/zen-class-a-headphone-amplifier-kit-power-amp-kit-diy-p-194.html.

I added an Alps pot and made the power supply separate to each channel by cutting the ground bridge on the PCB.  I am using two Toshiba Laptop 19v power supplies into the Zen power supply PCB

The "silver" balanced cable was from China:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Audeze-LCD-2-LCD-3-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-Silver-plated-cord-/121175914229?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item1c36a5b6f5

I know it is not a true balanced setup, since the RCA inputs are grounded together. The SQ is very similar to the headphone out from the Explorer but I am guessing I get about four times the power (i.e. can play at higher volumes with more "punch").  There is no hum or background noise... very "dark".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back