Best DIY amp for HD600?
Aug 17, 2008 at 2:38 AM Post #16 of 23
If you don't want to spend much time on casing, have you considered one of the kits available, like the Bottlehead or Mapletree? You could focus on the build and save a lot of time, too.

Aug 17, 2008 at 6:47 AM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can personally vouch that the CK²-III sounds great with the HD580s and HD650s, so it'd probably do your HD600s pretty well too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Absolutely. My CK²-III i spretty sweet with my HD600s. Also, I was blown away listening to TimJo's Max as well (with HD600). The beauty of DIY is that you don't have to settle for just one amp.

Nov 5, 2009 at 3:56 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe_seattle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi! I recently finished my Millett Starving Student amp and it is sounding pretty good.

(...)

I listen mostly to music with prominent vocals and prefer a sound that is slightly warmer than cooler.

I take it to mean that "cooler" means the opposite of "warm sound". That would be described in audio jargon as "bright sound". Anyway, nice job on your Millet DIY
smile.gif

Nov 5, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #21 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SOHA II has to be recommended, I think it is the best sounding DIY amp out there with the Bijou a close second.

Are you saying that that you like the SOHA II better than the Bijou? Interesting.. I don't have an opinion since I have heard neither of them, although I do enjoy my CTH which is kind of a grandson of the SOHA II.

I might have to re-consider what I want to build next.. (vs the EHHA)

What about the Beta22, or the EHHA, which is slowly gaining a following?

Or the even more rare Stacker II..

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you saying that that you like the SOHA II better than the Bijou? Interesting.. I don't have an opinion since I have heard neither of them, although I do enjoy my CTH which is kind of a grandson of the SOHA II.

I might have to re-consider what I want to build next.. (vs the EHHA)

What about the Beta22, or the EHHA, which is slowly gaining a following?

Or the even more rare Stacker II..

I have the Stacker II, the Bijou, and the SOHA II.

The SohaII has better mids and detail definition than the bijou, but the bijou has warmer thunderous bass and power. The Stacker II combined the best of both but has an oscillation problem making it unstable (soon to be revised by Runelight.) I would chose the SohaII over the Bijou for general listening, but if the Stacker II issues are resolved it will be a giant killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back