Best desktop headphone amp for under 200 $
Jul 26, 2013 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FULLAUDIO

New Head-Fier
Hello, i am looking for a headphone amplifier that would be noticeable better than asus xonar essence amp, if there is some....in this budget of 200$
I would like to use Asus xonar essence as a dac and some external amp with it.

i would use it with: AKG K 701, K 240 sextett (600 ohm, i would need a 600$+ amp to drive these but i want to improve it a little atleast) and also with some other headphone.

so my question is: is there some better headphone amp that the one which xonar essence has in the budget of 200 $? if yes which one would be the best?

Jul 26, 2013 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Hello, I am looking for a headphone amplifier that would be noticeable better than Asus Xonar Essence Amp, if there is some....in this budget of 200$
I would use it with: AKG K 701, K 240 sextett (600 ohm, i would need a 600$+ amp to drive these but i want to improve it a little at least) and also with some other headphone.
So my question is: is there some better headphone amp that the one which Xonar essence has in the budget of 200 $? if yes which one would be the best?

You did know that if you plug an external headphone amplifier into the Essence STX's RCA jack, you will only get 2-channel stereo audio, no Headphone Surround Sound?

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Headphone surround sound?
I think i am always listening only to 2 channel stereo sound thru my headphones :D..... 

As the Essence STX can easily drive AKG K701 62-Ohm and AKG K240 Sextett 600-Ohm headphones.
(I own the AKG K240 Monitor 600-Ohm).
Maybe try swapping the op-amps on the STX, maybe some LME49990 or ADA79BRs, might find a sound more to your liking.
(I use the AD797BRs)

Jul 27, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Hello, i am looking for a headphone amplifier that would be noticeable better than asus xonar essence amp, if there is some....in this budget of 200$
I would use it with: AKG K 701, K 240 sextett (600 ohm, i would need a 600$+ amp to drive these but i want to improve it a little atleast) and also with some other headphone.
So my question is: is there some better headphone amp that the one which xonar essence has in the budget of 200 $? if yes which one would be the best?

You could always sell off the Essence STX and get an Xonar DX or D1 sound card, used $50-$60,
and use the cash from selling off the STX towards an external headphone amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back