Best Desktop Amp?
Feb 28, 2020 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Wifiman

100+ Head-Fier
I ve been using thx789 for a year now with my Susvara and it actually is doing a pretty good job powering the susvara. But i think maybe the susvara could use more power than the 789 could provide as there are a lot of owners saying the dynamic and soundstage transforms to a different level when given more power. So i am trying to find something that has more power than the 789 without losing the detail and neutralness and most importantly, can still be used on a desk. I have already tried some amps like ifi ican pro and soundaware p1 but to be honest i am not impressed. Currently, i am considering buying a Benchmark ahb2 and use an adaptor to power the susvara. But since I know nothing about the power amp, IDK if that's a good idea. Could anyone give me some advice about this? Thanks in advance.

Feb 28, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #2 of 10
With this kind of budget, probably the SPL Phonitor x. SPL are very well known in the pro sector, and their DA conversion is used for a lot of mastering rigs, which is pretty much the most demanding task for audio gear.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 10
I ve been using thx789 for a year now with my Susvara and it actually is doing a pretty good job powering the susvara. But i think maybe the susvara could use more power than the 789 could provide as there are a lot of owners saying the dynamic and soundstage transforms to a different level when given more power. So i am trying to find something that has more power than the 789 without losing the detail and neutralness and most importantly, can still be used on a desk. I have already tried some amps like ifi ican pro and soundaware p1 but to be honest i am not impressed. Currently, i am considering buying a Benchmark ahb2 and use an adaptor to power the susvara. But since I know nothing about the power amp, IDK if that's a good idea. Could anyone give me some advice about this? Thanks in advance.

Violectric V281

Feb 29, 2020 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 10
HPA4 or WA33 or Riviera AIC 10

Mar 3, 2020 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 10
Don't forget the Simaudio Moon 430HA...

Although it's not a desktop amp per se... I am using a Simaudio Moon 600i speaker amp to power my Abyss TCs. It is glorious. But you will need a female XLR to speaker tap adapter if you want to run the headphones balanced.

Sorry if those are out of your budget... But you did mention you were using Susvaras. :)

Mar 3, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Don't forget the Simaudio Moon 430HA...

Although it's not a desktop amp per se... I am using a Simaudio Moon 600i speaker amp to power my Abyss TCs. It is glorious. But you will need a female XLR to speaker tap adapter if you want to run the headphones balanced.

Sorry if those are out of your budget... But you did mention you were using Susvaras. :)
Did try the 430HA before and i think they pair terriblely with susvara. However i ll look into the speaker amp u mentioned. Thanks for the impression.

Mar 3, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 10
Did try the 430HA before and i think they pair terriblely with susvara. However i ll look into the speaker amp u mentioned. Thanks for the impression.
Wow... Really? Did the 430HA you tried have the optional built in DAC?

Mar 3, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 10
Wow... Really? Did the 430HA you tried have the optional built in DAC?
No, It was connected to a hugo 2. And it sounds soft and lack of dynamics compare to the other amps like the ifi ican pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back