Best DAP for $200 or less
Jan 2, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #2 of 10
I think it´s very important to consider that most people reviewing DAP´s don´t do any proper A/B testing. In my humble opinion thats because they do sound fairly similar, and nobody wants to admit it. Seeing that you already are interested in the lower price segment, i would recommend getting a DAP with some Headroom to drive high ohm cans. I´ve tried some Fiio Daps, and didn´t like the software in all cases, so thats something to consider as well. for example Fiio sorts by Genre and then you get all the songs of that genre in a List, no artist, no album nothing...

If you don´t mind the size, in my opinion LG´s V series phones are an excellent alternative (if a phone is an option for you at all) they all sound very good (you get a v10 for 60 bucks with an included headphone amp an ESS dac), and you get a lot of bang for your buck...just wanted to throw that in

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #3 of 10
I think it´s very important to consider that most people reviewing DAP´s don´t do any proper A/B testing. In my humble opinion thats because they do sound fairly similar, and nobody wants to admit it. Seeing that you already are interested in the lower price segment, i would recommend getting a DAP with some Headroom to drive high ohm cans. I´ve tried some Fiio Daps, and didn´t like the software in all cases, so thats something to consider as well. for example Fiio sorts by Genre and then you get all the songs of that genre in a List, no artist, no album nothing...

If you don´t mind the size, in my opinion LG´s V series phones are an excellent alternative (if a phone is an option for you at all) they all sound very good (you get a v10 for 60 bucks with an included headphone amp an ESS dac), and you get a lot of bang for your buck...just wanted to throw that in
Thanks for the info I'm not really interested in carrying around another phone and I like my s9+ too much to switch out phones.

Jan 2, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #4 of 10
Thanks for the info I'm not really interested in carrying around another phone and I like my s9+ too much to switch out phones.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/galaxy-s9-s9-audio-quality.873298/

this suggests that the s9+ european version sounds pretty good already. i don't know about snapdragons integrated sound, but as soon as phones come with a dedicated dac (cirrus logic in case of the s9+ with exynos processor) its bound to sound pretty good.
perhaps you want to compare your phone to something like the hidizs ap 80 though, which should at least be a little louder

Jan 2, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 10
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/galaxy-s9-s9-audio-quality.873298/

this suggests that the s9+ european version sounds pretty good already. i don't know about snapdragons integrated sound, but as soon as phones come with a dedicated dac (cirrus logic in case of the s9+ with exynos processor) its bound to sound pretty good.
perhaps you want to compare your phone to something like the hidizs ap 80 though, which should at least be a little louder
I have a Shanling M0 already and I can definitely tell a difference between my phone and my dap. Main reason I'm looking at new DAPs is because I want something a little bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back