Best DAC for under $1000?
Feb 20, 2005 at 11:46 AM Post #76 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
I was listening to DAC1 through some very nice Dynaudio 72 driven via the NAD T741 I think.

It's just such a suprise to be so unmoved by the DAC1 as a headphone amp. It's like listening to music that is the equivalent of a wire frame illustration graphic;all the information is there but it's empty.
It's just by chance that I had been experimenting with warmish-smooth cables and cords for no other reason than to see (hear) how far was too far.
1 Shunyata Diamondback via the Shunyata Guardian (passive power conditioner/surge protector. I've come to hate active power conditioning), and I could hear nothing different really. 2 diamondbacks in the system and it was beautiful, that great balance of smoothness and detail. I was so impressed I bought the company!
tongue.gif
Well actually I only bought a 3rd Diamondback and with it in place everything was thrown off balance, the highs were smudged. As I knew this was only temporary I enjoyed it's freakishly rich pungent midrange for a few weeks. (Is it the amount of cable? ICs don't make too much difference, speaker cables are nothing short of massively profoundly different sounding).
And like I said "by chance" I tried the Benchmark DAC1 and the imbalance was corrected. I suppose it's the ultra clarity.
So now I like the way my speaker rig sounds (arrived at not by design but through plain dumb luck to some extent). A great DAC in the right system.

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:41 PM Post #77 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
It's just such a suprise to be so unmoved by the DAC1 as a headphone amp. It's like listening to music that is the equivalent of a wire frame illustration graphic;all the information is there but it's empty.
It's just by chance that I had been experimenting with warmish-smooth cables and cords for no other reason than to see (hear) how far was too far.
1 Shunyata Diamondback via the Shunyata Guardian (passive power conditioner/surge protector. I've come to hate active power conditioning), and I could hear nothing different really. 2 diamondbacks in the system and it was beautiful, that great balance of smoothness and detail. I was so impressed I bought the company!
tongue.gif
Well actually I only bought a 3rd Diamondback and with it in place everything was thrown off balance, the highs were smudged. As I knew this was only temporary I enjoyed it's freakishly rich pungent midrange for a few weeks. (Is it the amount of cable? ICs don't make too much difference, speaker cables are nothing short of massively profoundly different sounding).
And like I said "by chance" I tried the Benchmark DAC1 and the imbalance was corrected. I suppose it's the ultra clarity.
So now I like the way my speaker rig sounds (arrived at not by design but through plain dumb luck to some extent). A great DAC in the right system.

That is eventually what we aim for I think
If one can afford a decent listening room and some not so expensive speakers with the DAC1 and a decent transport, it really is great.
The only thing is that finding a combination is not so easy.
With headphones it is a little easier and a lot cheaper.

Kunwar

Feb 20, 2005 at 12:44 PM Post #78 of 91
Spent a couple of days now comparing the Bel Canto and the Benchmark - got to say, the Benchmark has wide soundstaging. The sound is clean and detailed (through the midrange) but also mechanical and uninvolving. Suprisingly, it also lacks quite a bit in the lower frequencies as well (compared to the DAC2). I can see why people would like it for monitoring usage cause it is very analytical and "matter-of-fact".

But I much prefer the Bel Canto; it's more balanced and organic sounding, with deeper and more tuneful bass. The imaging is not as wide but is more "together", with better depth. Ultimately, I enjoy listening to music a lot more through it than the Benchmark.

This is in my system, both speaker and headphone, with my music, in my room, etc...

Feb 20, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #79 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
I've been on a DAC quest as well.

Well, so many have asked, so finally there will be a shootout between:

Benchmark DAC 1
Bel Canto DAC 2
Grace m902

Transports: RME digi96/8 PAD and Chaintech AV-710
Possibly three different computers.
I could use my POS Harman Kardon CD changer for craps and giggles as well. I also still have an NEC 3xp CDrom with SPDIF output too.

Iron_Dreamer, Jasper994, and I will be presiding.
Now if schedule permits, we'll be having a mini-meet at my place.
This time, with proper power conditions.

Everything will be hooked up to my PS Audio P300 on a dedicated line.

-Ed

What a good idea Ed, the major affordable DACs together. I'read so many good things about each one individually, but I don't remember having seen a good comparison. I can't wait to get your feedback. Maybe having one of those hyped high end transports would be interesting too for the "transport doesn't matter" crowd.

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:16 PM Post #80 of 91
Quote:

Isn't that redundant? I honestly don't know, that's why I ask.
icon10.gif

No such thing. You can't have enough power conditioners.
biggrin.gif

BTW Ed, you should really only use 1 outlet per duplex so the P300 should only have two device. The one on the single will have the advantage and the other two on the other duplex will affect each other.
wink.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 2:53 PM Post #81 of 91
Quote:

some not so expensive speakers with the DAC1 and a decent transport, it really is great.

It is but I am in the 'buy the most expensive speakers you can afford' camp. Down the road I intend to get speakers that cost twice as much as my present pair cost. This would bring me in the $4K USD area, which is what my amp's value is. That seems like a good monetary balance. Unfortunately all ATC designs in the $4K area are active monitors or floorstanders. I like what I have now a passive monitor, so I'd need to look at the next best most similiar designer like Harbeth. A bonus would be that the greater sensitivity could have me stay within the 1st 100 watts of the ATC amp which are Class A.

But to answer the question more directly, I'd be happy sticking a Benchmark DAC1 in front of a low powered highly musical under $2K integrated (ASL, Naim, Sugden or many, many others less well known) and drive very expensive, very sensitive speakers. $8K Coincident Total Eclipse?

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #83 of 91
Quote:

Just take "conditioners" out of the sentence and I'll agree.
smily_headphones1.gif

That also true. Can't have enough power cords
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2005 at 3:34 PM Post #84 of 91
Quote:

It is but I am in the 'buy the most expensive speakers you can afford' camp. Down the road I intend to get speakers that cost twice as much as my present pair cost. This would bring me in the $4K USD area, which is what my amp's value is. That seems like a good monetary balance. Unfortunately all ATC designs in the $4K area are active monitors or floorstanders. I like what I have now a passive monitor, so I'd need to look at the next best most similiar designer like Harbeth. A bonus would be that the greater sensitivity could have me stay within the 1st 100 watts of the ATC amp which are Class A.

But to answer the question more directly, I'd be happy sticking a Benchmark DAC1 in front of a low powered highly musical under $2K integrated (ASL, Naim, Sugden or many, many others less well known) and drive very expensive, very sensitive speakers. $8K Coincident Total Eclipse?

If that's the case why not save up for a few years and then just get yourselves some beautiful DALI's or Dynaudio's
Better still, you could go and get the Cadence Arca. A pair should only be about 40K and they are the best electrostats out there.

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:11 PM Post #85 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
That also true. Can't have enough power cords
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Absolutely I love power cords especially those by bands like Black Sabbath.

Quote:

A pair should only be about 40K and they are the best electrostats out there.

If a person can afford $40K speakers I think they should get them. With my 1/10th budget I'll be perfectly happy with ATC or Harbeth or ?

Feb 20, 2005 at 4:44 PM Post #86 of 91
Quote:

Absolutely I love power cords especially those by bands like Black Sabbath.

If a person can afford $40K speakers I think they should get them. With my 1/10th budget I'll be perfectly happy with ATC or Harbeth or ?

whatever happens please listen to some Dynaudio's in your price range. They are not for no reason some of the best on the planet. DALI would be another option. I must say I am a fan as far asDanish speakers are concerned.

Feb 20, 2005 at 5:20 PM Post #87 of 91
Hey Ed,

Is there a way to get a hold of an Apogee Mini DAC for that shoot out. Now that would really cover all the DACs at that price level that people are talking about here.

cheers,
dshea

Feb 20, 2005 at 11:57 PM Post #88 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by dshea_32665
Hey Ed,

Is there a way to get a hold of an Apogee Mini DAC for that shoot out. Now that would really cover all the DACs at that price level that people are talking about here.

cheers,
dshea

Yes.

If someone lends one to me.
tongue.gif

-Ed

Feb 21, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #89 of 91
Ed, my nos dac MIGHT be here in time for the shootout, if you're interested.

Feb 21, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #90 of 91
Quote:

whatever happens please listen to some Dynaudio's in your price range. They are not for no reason some of the best on the planet. DALI would be another option. I must say I am a fan as far asDanish speakers are concerned.

At that price there are a lot of "some of the best on the planet" choices to make. For one thing Dyna isn't making the size I want. They have either smallish monitors or floorstanders. I'm after somewhat large standmounts like this. or this to give an indication of size. I also think Dynaudio is excellent in the way B&W is excellent. But excellent isn't good enough for my hard earned money. Beyond excellent is what I usually settle upon in the end.

Right, where were we....best under 1K DAC, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back