Best DAC for under $1000?
Nov 24, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #46 of 91
For those of you who like the benchmark's reclocking and the NOS factor, consider the dddac1543. It's NOS, very good implementation of the tda1543 (aos liked it with only a doublecrown 1543, I will be getting mine built with 16 chips in parallel,) it reclocks like the benchmark, and has no opamps in the output since it's got plenty of power coming straight from the dac. If you can find a builder, this dac is definitely way under $1k, and if you build it yourself, it's definitely under $400 with all premium parts like blackgates, nichicons, and auricaps.

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #47 of 91
Ooheadso, will you be using the Sony in your signature as a transport?

Nov 24, 2004 at 3:49 AM Post #48 of 91
My main source is my emu1212m but I hope to have the sony hooked up at some point at least to just check out the sound.

Nov 24, 2004 at 10:28 AM Post #49 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by bootman
This dac is very tempting.
He also offers the same DAC but with a SS Burr Brown video buffered analog output.

What does video buffered mean?

Nov 24, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #52 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Interesting stuff here. I wonder if I could use a Benchmark DAC1 to replace my Ray Samuels Emmeline HR-2 or would I be better off with a HeadRoom MAX Stepped Attenuator, Dual Input?
confused.gif

What do you guys think about a dual RCA to BNC convertor cable to send the DVD-Audio/SA-CD information from my source component to the DAC1? Will it even work? Is there a penalty for this type of conversion in terms of sound quality? I also had a Cardas Rhodium RCA female jack installed as a digital output to use my source component as a transport only. If I were to go that route, then could I pass on the Red Book CD, DVD-Audio, and SA-CD (including encryption) through that RCA female digital out jack into the Benchmark DAC1? Which connector would I use if I were to consider that option?

How is the Benchmark DAC1 compared to more traditional solid state or tube headphone amplifier in its' price category? Is the volume pot a Noble?

Sorry to ask these questions but I'm in a unique position in that there really is nobody out there asking these kind of questions because my gear is so unique :/

Welly Wu, for the amp function alone I would probably look at a dedicated amp. Last weekend I was able to compare the the DAC1 normal headphone out to the Corda HA-2's headphone out by using a Zu HD650 and I preferred the Corda by a margin. The source was the DAC1's own internal dack hooked up to a Marantz transport. However, reading your other thread, it seems you have already found a great source with your universal player. In this case, perhaps the Benchmark might not be the best option. Just my thoughts.

Nov 25, 2004 at 11:44 PM Post #55 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
I have seen many older Meridian DACs for sale on ebay and audiogon for $500 and even less. Are these DACs worth it or are they too outdated to even think about buying anymore?

The Meridian 566 can compete with any of the modern upsamplers and NOS DACS if some of the older capacitors are replaced with Black Gates etc.. Surprisingly good.

Nov 26, 2004 at 4:13 AM Post #56 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenFSC
Around US$1000, you can consider MytekDigital Stereo 96 DAC~
biggrin.gif

http://www.mytekdigital.com/stereo96.htm

Some samples for comparsion~

http://www.mytekdigital.com/listening_test.htm

Quick question and i hope you do not mind it, But are you a hired Pimp for Mytek by any chance.
Evrytime i have read a post by you it is regarding trying th eMytek.
Nothing to do with headphones or sources or anything else.
KI don't hold it against you but if you are please do tell everyone here.

Nov 26, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #57 of 91
I definitely preferred the mytek to the benchmark files as well. No question in my mind based on the samples provided.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:16 AM Post #59 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Quick question and i hope you do not mind it, But are you a hired Pimp for Mytek by any chance.
Evrytime i have read a post by you it is regarding trying th eMytek.
Nothing to do with headphones or sources or anything else.
KI don't hold it against you but if you are please do tell everyone here.

HAHA
Everytime you say the DAC1 is better than other DACs and so you are hired by Benchmark??~
rolleyes.gif

I am just a member of HeadFi like you. Have I done anything wrong for just introducing one more DAC which is around US$1000 to the members' here? I believe DAC1 may not suit every members's taste, and I just want to provide one more opinion for KR... to consider.

And also this topic is about Best DAC for under $1000 under the page of Dedicated Source Components. I believe that it is not much related to Headphone but talk more about the DAC.

Nov 26, 2004 at 10:30 AM Post #60 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenFSC
HAHA
Everytime you say the DAC1 is better than other DACs and so you are hired by Benchmark??~
rolleyes.gif

I am just a member of HeadFi like you. Have I done anything wrong for just introducing one more DAC which is around US$1000 to the members' here? I believe DAC1 may not suit every members's taste, and I just want to provide one more opinion for KR... to consider.

And also this topic is about Best DAC for under $1000 under the page of Dedicated Source Components. I believe that it is not much related to Headphone but talk more about the DAC.

the thing is he has heard the benchmark and some other dacs and no one so far has 1st hand experience with the mytek dac. i guess most people don't find unsustained hype useful...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back