Best DAC for under $1000?
Nov 22, 2004 at 3:17 AM Post #2 of 91
My limited experience is with the Bel Canto line. You should be able to find a used DAC2 within your stated budget.

This is an old listing (11/02) but it gives you an idea:

Bel Canto DAC2

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #4 of 91
I know your inquiring about a dac but the music hall cd-25's with the level 3 mods from Sound Odyssey are $995 including shipping. Thats a great player for the money, if your requirements can accomodate a player vs the dac only.

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #5 of 91
I like what I've heard from the Bel Canto DAC's as well. However, I've had very good luck with now three generations of MSB DACS. You can pick up a used Gold III with upgraded power supply for pretty close to your budget. Nice upgrade path too.
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by KR...
What do you guys think is the best DAC for $1000?

I feel the Bel Canto DAC 2 is absolutely fantastic in my system, but I don't know how it would mesh with your STAX system. Maybe some of the STAX owners that also own the Bel Canto DAC 2 could come forward. I am interested in their comments.

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 91
No one on head-fi has really listened to any of the retail NOS dacs, but there are some around who would put them up with the big boys: SN dacs and Ack dAck + a host of diy NOS dacs like the nonoz and the dddac1543. Certain NOS dacs receive comments like, "Eats the belcanto dac2 for lunch, etc etc," but I'm sure you could say it's a matter of taste...

After listening to the sample files put out by mytek, I would say I preferred the mytek over the benchmark
rolleyes.gif
fwiw.
rolleyes.gif

Nov 22, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 91
The Bel Canto DAC2 had better synergy with my Grace 901.
The Benchmark DAC1 was not a good fit. But if you have the HD650's, sell the Grace.
biggrin.gif

I'm interested in comparing the MiniDAC to the DAC1 and DAC2.

Then there is the new DAC in the upcoming Grace m902. That and the PS Audio's headphone amp with USB input.

Heheh, so more combo units coming out. Decisions Decisions.

Heheh, KR, I'm also interested in a DAC in the $1K ish price range.

-Ed

Nov 22, 2004 at 12:13 PM Post #9 of 91
I had the chance to compare the Bel Canto to a Benchmark this weekend and would rank them accordingly:
1.Bel Canto (Corda HA2, Zu, HD 650)
2.Benchmark balanced out (Zu balanced, HD 650)
3.Benchmark nonbalanced out (Corda HA2, Zu, HD 650)
4.Benchmark headphone out (Zu, HD 650)

The Benchmark is a nice Dac but the Bel Canto was better in many ways. The most apparent difference was in the amount of texture which the Bel Canto provided in a better way.
The Benchmark in balanced mode produced an excellent soundstage and in this regard superior to the Bel Canto fed into the HA-2. However, when using a direct path approach with my own cdp, I also perceived a bigger soundstage than with the cdp connected to the HA-2. Hence I'm not sure whether the smaller soundstage was due to the Bel Canto, which I actually doubt. There was also a subtle haziness in the Dac1's highs (subtle obscuring of microdetails in the treble region which led to a certain harshness). The overall sound is quite dry yet lively. The most amazing aspect of the balanced Dac1 was its ability to deliver very low bass with the HD 650. Again, I'm not sure whether the Bel Canto can't provide the same amount of deep bass by using an even better amp.

It was the first time I heard the Benchmark and my expectations (due to the hype here) were much higher than the results. I can understand how people like the Dac1 with the Hd 650 due to the dac1's lively character. However, despite this "synergy", the Bel Canto was simply more natural sounding, more accurate and pleasing highs, better textured midrange, etc. The Benchmark is a good dac nonetheless and the Benchmark with balanced outs sounded pretty good considering that you don't need to drop the money for an expensive amp. Finally, the Bel Canto is more expensive. However, a balanced Zu cable isn't really cheap either.

Nov 22, 2004 at 1:30 PM Post #10 of 91
I have the Stax SR-404/Stax SRM-3 amp combo as my headphone system.

I have seen some very high end older Dacs on sale, are they worth buying or have things progressed so much that even the ultra high end of a few years ago is too outdated to worry about today?

Nov 22, 2004 at 2:02 PM Post #11 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
I had the chance to compare a (Bel Canto -> Corda HA-2 -> Zu -> HD 650) to a (Benchmark -> Corda HA-2 -> Zu -> HD 650) and (Benchmark (balanced line out) -> Zu (balanced) -> Hd 650) and would rank:
1.Bel Canto
2.Benchmark balanced
3.nonbalanced.

The Benchmark is a nice Dac but the differences between these two dacs is not small. The most apparent difference was in the amount of texture which the Bel Canto provided in a much better way. It was the first time I heard the Benchmark and my expectations (due to the hype here) were much higher than the results. It is a good dac nonetheless and you don't need an amp as the balanced outs sound really good.

Before I state anything, I will say that I have heard both dac's and to me the opposite was the case.
The dac2 sounded slow compared to DAC1. DAC1 revealed more detail and as for texture of sound, with most of my classical recordings the dac2 was a bit muddy.
I guess comes down to choice really.
buy what sounds nice to you.
As is evident from several other threads, people seem to prefer a variety of different styles.
So I guess it is upto you to try them and find out which one is for you.

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #12 of 91
Quote:

The most apparent difference was in the amount of texture which the Bel Canto provided in a better way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kunwar
Before I state anything, I will say that I have heard both dac's and to me the opposite was the case.

IMHO both are right. With slow to medium fast music the Bel Canto shows more texture in the upper mid’s, while the Benchmark seems a little smooth. Also the Bel Canto sounds more natural.
The interesting thing is, as faster the music gets, there is a opposite effect.
Then the Bel Canto’s bass is smearing and a little muddy, while Benchmark’s is considerably more controlled, with more punch and faster response through the whole spectrum.
Those are my impressions of testing using the same amps. I did not compare the Bel Canto’s RCA out to Benchmark’s XLR out yet.
Quote:

Hence I'm not sure whether the smaller soundstage was due to the Bel Canto, which I actually doubt.
....I'm not sure whether the Bel Canto can't provide the same amount of deep bass by using an even better amp.

Next time you can hear the Bel Canto from the RCA output.

How much more does it cost to become something considerable better than this two, preferably with XLR out?
And less than the 20k saint.panda was suggesting.
eek.gif

TIA

Nov 22, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #13 of 91
I believe the Scott Nixon Tubedac+ with external powersupply will give any sub-$1k DAC a run for its money.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #14 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
IMHO both are right. With slow to medium fast music the Bel Canto shows more texture in the upper mid’s, while the Benchmark seems a little smooth. Also the Bel Canto sounds more natural.
The interesting thing is, as faster the music gets, there is a opposite effect.
Then the Bel Canto’s bass is smearing and a little muddy, while Benchmark’s is considerably more controlled, with more punch and faster response through the whole spectrum.
Those are my impressions of testing using the same amps. I did not compare the Bel Canto’s RCA out to Benchmark’s XLR out yet.

Bull's eye, the Bel Canto will sound great with music where the rythm/tempo is slower to medium fast eg. slow movements in Classical music or guitar work with gentle strings.
However increase the tempo, for eg. Mendelssohn Movement 1 from violin concerto D major about 5 minutes in and the dac2 loses that sense of clarity, that is where the DAC1 runs away with the competition.
on the other hand, listen to Norah Jones, and you could be forgiven for thinking the DAC1 is a bit cold and distant. The dac2 on the other hand has the feeling of a haze on the voice, giving it the noxious texture which some people really like.

BTW Has anyone ever tried the DAC1 with something like the Blockhead.
I know many have found it an excellent setup along with Gilmroe Balanced.

BTW Kurt how long before the Dynahi balanced ships mate?
That and DAC1, boyh I am drooling here thinking of it.

Nov 22, 2004 at 4:30 PM Post #15 of 91

Users who are viewing this thread

Back