Best DAC/Amp combo under 600$?
Oct 30, 2015 at 8:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sloomingbla

500+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Ultrasone signature djs and am looking forward to getting the Fostex th900s within the next year.

I currently have owned the objective o2 amp (never bought a dac before) and although there is a large improvement in soundstage and detail in the djs I feel as though they did add a bit to the highs which I wasn't a fan of personally.

About a week ago though the amp broke and I am looking for a replacement, hopefully with a dac to pair with it as well.

I am currently looking for a full sized desktop amp/dac combo under 600$ and my only requirement is that they do well with very sensitive headphones and they don't add to the highs. (as neutral as possible, warm sounding if anything)

Thanks in advance for your help guys ^.^

Oct 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 15
I was going to say the Parasound ZDac v.2, but its 10 Ohm output impedance makes it not ideal for very sensitive headphones.

Oct 30, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #4 of 15
Hmm. The grace design looks perfect, but i don't know if there will be any left by the time i actually decide to buy an amp (probably 5 months, give or take a month).

And yes unfortunately i am going to be running pretty sensitive headphones. The th900 isn't too sensitive, but it would probably benefit from an amp developed for more sensitive headphones anyways.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #6 of 15
I second the ifi stack. They make up my strongest system, and I was very impressed by what the little ican can do. It's going to add to the price, but the iusb is almost essential (unfortunately)

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 15
I really like the look of that list. If the grace is sold out by the time i get an amp then i was actually thinking about going the schiit route.

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #9 of 15
I am looking for a good DAC/amp under 500$ preferably all-in one to match HD650 phone. What do you think will be better among these:

- NAD D1050 DAC
- NuForce Icon HDP
- iFi Micro iDSD

Thank you

Jan 5, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 15
I too am looking for the best desktop DAC/AMP combo under 800.

I have the NAD HP50, HD650, RHAT20i, and plan on getting the ETHER C soon. I want clean, articulate, great sound stage, detailed and accurate, and something that definitely has the wow factor. 

I just tried the Vali2/Modi2Uber combo and was not excited about the sound. 

Thanks! 

-Mike

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #15 of 15
I used my T20is, and 650's i definately felt that the sound was muddy in the lows and not as clear and articulate in the highs, the midrange was nice, but still vieled. I was using the stock tube for the vali 2. It also seemed a little slow in response.

-Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back