Best Custom IEM for Under $1500?
Dec 30, 2010 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

eso6686

100+ Head-Fier
HI all,

I am looking for a top notch Custom IEM.
I am very new to Custom IEM but have a bit of expectations for the sound quality.
This probably because i have been spoiled to my full range at home (B&W speakers and Marks Levison for remaining of the system. Just in case you might be interested). 
But lately had to travel a lot so want to get something very decent to entertain me at the hotel and on long flights.

My selection criteria are as follows:

1. Best bass in on the market. Strong, controlled punchy lows I listen to a lot of Rnb and Jazz.
2. Very Clear mid and highs so the bass doesn't cover everything up. I do listen to some instrumental (example Kenny G)
3. Very good sound stage.
4. Very good noise insulation as i fly around a lot.
5. Prefer one that does not require an amp to push and still sounds great. (The less i carry around the better)
6. Price....well anything under $1500USD...
7. Will ship to Australia...I think most do anyway..

I have nailed down to a few but can't decide on which one is best for my purpose.

1. UE18pro
2. JH16Pro
3. UM Miracle

Is there any that is really good that i have missed out???

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dec 30, 2010 at 1:19 PM Post #5 of 17
The sound signature you listed is a perfect description of the Sensaphonics 3MAX ($1050).

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_3max_ear.html

Sensaphonics differs from typical designs in that they are one of the few with earpieces made from soft-gel, medical grade silicone instead of hard acrylic. This provides better isolation (up to -37 dB broadband) and (especially important on long flights) greater comfort with less physical fatigue.

An oft-overlooked company on these boards, as they concentrate on the touring music market. However, your needs read like a list of Sensaphonics features and benefits, so I suggest you check them out.

Yes, I have a professional relationship with them. They are a client of mine. And they are awesome.

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:24 AM Post #7 of 17
I recommend you read the reviews of the Final Audio Design FI-BA-SS on this forum. I have not heard them myself but I do own the same company's FI-DC1601SB which are by far the finest earphones I have yet heard. Unfortunately the 1601's don't isolate well so they probably won't suit your needs. The FI-BA-SS are in the same league sound wise but I believe they isolate a lot better. Quite possibly the FI-BA-SS might suit your needs well.  

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #8 of 17
the best iem is the Stage 4 but is it more expensive then 1500$ (without shipping...) the best deep bass and the best highs ever.
(1239€ compeact-monitors.de)

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:21 AM Post #10 of 17

the best iem is the Stage 4 but is it more expensive then 1500$ (without shipping...) the best deep bass and the best highs ever.

(1239€ compeact-monitors.de)

@Vegeta The Stage 4's sound intriguing. Can you give us some idea how they compare with other high-end IEM's you have heard? 

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #11 of 17
Definitely JH16 Pro, possibly with a TWag cable. Very clean and smooth sound with great bass response.
UE18 are mid-centric IEMs, the bass is there but not very prominent, and the highs are a little bit muffled.   

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:44 AM Post #12 of 17
@ firoze: Stage 4 sounds a bit like TF10, but no resessed mids and also V-shaped. (but stronger bass and much deeper then the TF10 and very very detailed highs) but it´s a german brand and germany has horrible prices... 

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #13 of 17

@ firoze: Stage 4 sounds a bit like TF10, but no resessed mids and also V-shaped. (but stronger bass and much deeper then the TF10 and very very detailed highs) but it´s a german brand and germany has horrible prices... 

@ Vetega. Thanks for the info. I know Greman stuff is expensive but I don't mind paying if the quality is significantly better than the comeptition. I did not mind paying for my Final Audio 1601's because I found them to be by far the best earphones then available. Have you found any reviews of the Stage 4? I wonder how they would compare to their direct competition - the UE18 and JH16.... 

Jan 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #14 of 17
@ firoze: yes, but only in german. (i think "Stage" is mostly (or only?) known in germany because i don´t heard of Stage here on head-fi) (hifi-forum.de) 

Jan 1, 2011 at 11:32 PM Post #15 of 17
There is no " best " custom IEM under $1,500 or even $10,000! There is a custom IEM that will suit your preferences more than the others though. With your preferences, the JH13 Pro, UM Miracle and JH16 Pro are great contenders in terms of bass. Other great contenders in terms of your genre preferences ( Jazz ) is the Westone ES5 and Earsonics EM3 Pro. You really cannot go wrong with any of the custom IEM's listed. Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back