Best connection from computer to the non-USB DAC
Dec 10, 2008 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
SPDIF coaxial
Toslink
or
AES/EBU

I believe I've read that AES/EBU (XLR) beats all of them, the next question is where to get reasonably prices good quality cable for that type of connection.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 11
They are all the same native S/PDIF format, just slightly different implementations.

AES3 (aka AES/EBU) and S/PDIF are VERY similar in transfer and generally suffer from same flaws.

Optical S/PDIF vs Coax S/PDIF (or AES3) is another story but mostly coax is preferred because it can be timed better and doesn't suffer from serious issues with optical conversion (to and from).

It does not matter one bit (not much pun intended
tongue.gif
), whether this is between computer and DAC or any other transport and DAC.

Personally, I prefer simply using a nice implementation of coax S/PDIF (where I2S is not available). BNC termination throughout, 75 Ohm coax cable and pulse transformer coupled. Great digital connection at reasonable price.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 11
I put my vote up for optical S/PDIF as well.
Since it provide an electrical shield between the transport and DAC.

Dec 10, 2008 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 11
I think in a dac that converts USB to spdif like my stello, the biggest difference is between USB and the other 2 inputs. I have tried all three and couldnt tell a difference between optical and coax, although my time spent with the coax connection was limited. I do however notice the optical that I use on a permanente basis is noticeably nicer than the USB. Mine is the Signature model if that makes any difference. The optical has a larger sound stage and is slightly more dynamic and a bit smoother than the USB. Its not leaps and bounds but you can hear it easy enough when flicking the knob back and fourth.

Dec 10, 2008 at 5:23 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are all the same native S/PDIF format, just slightly different implementations.

AES3 (aka AES/EBU) and S/PDIF are VERY similar in transfer and generally suffer from same flaws.

Optical S/PDIF vs Coax S/PDIF (or AES3) is another story but mostly coax is preferred because it can be timed better and doesn't suffer from serious issues with optical conversion (to and from).

It does not matter one bit (not much pun intended
tongue.gif
), whether this is between computer and DAC or any other transport and DAC.

Personally, I prefer simply using a nice implementation of coax S/PDIF (where I2S is not available). BNC termination throughout, 75 Ohm coax cable and pulse transformer coupled. Great digital connection at reasonable price.

That's what I read, but also that AES being a pro standard provides a better signal integrity esp. over longer run of cables as it has higher signal level and uses shielded 110ohm cable.

Dec 10, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe I've read that AES/EBU (XLR) beats all of them, the next question is where to get reasonably prices good quality cable for that type of connection.

HERE you go...

For more details be sure to check out the specifications.

Makes great balanced analog cables as well...

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:30 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

That's what I read, but also that AES being a pro standard provides a better signal integrity esp. over longer run of cables as it has higher signal level and uses shielded 110ohm cable.

Sorry if this diverts the thread alittle, does anyone know how to get AES out of a laptop with an express slot?

Dec 11, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

SPDIF coaxial
Toslink
or
AES/EBU

The answer to your question is most likely Blue Jeans Cable: Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

Dec 11, 2008 at 6:16 AM Post #11 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back