Best computer chair? Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap, Humanscale Freedom?
Aug 24, 2006 at 6:20 PM Post #17 of 101
$800 is way too much for an average person. Any good $100 chair? I have a leather chair but the center of the seat cushion has sunk in completely so my butt can feel the metal support whereas the edges of the seat still have about two inches tall of cushion.

Aug 24, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #18 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
This message is hidden because JaGWiRE is on your ignore list.

Well I'm a 6'3 young man, and your some kind half boy half hobbit so what works for me in a chair isn't going to work for you.

Biggie.

Aug 24, 2006 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 101
Well I guess we know now who biggie has on his ignore list...
blink.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #20 of 101
I'm currently also using the Herman Miller Aeron w/ PostureFit lumbar support. Have been using it for the past 5 yrs and liked it so much that I bought a second one. The Aeron may feel a little stiff to some who would rather prefer a chair with a soft comfortable cushion while still offering good back support. The Pellicle on the Aeron allows air to flow thru keeping the chair cool especially in the warmer summer months. Everyone has different comfort and lumbar support needs. Your best bet in knowing what fits your needs is as someone has mentioned earlier, is to find a office furniture store that has the models you're interested in on the showroom floor so you can go and try them out for yourself.

Aug 24, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #22 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by dan1son
I've never had a chair lower the circulation in my legs quite like this chair (yes I'm sitting on one now). If I bring it down low enough so it doesn't reduce circulation I'm no longer at the proper typing height so I normally put my legs up on a box under my desk to keep the angle enough so my legs don't go numb.

I could not agree more. I use one for work and the plastic frame really cuts off my circulation. In the interest of fairness I must say that I am a rather corpulent fellow, so that may be the cause. Also, I am rather rough with my furniture and I have gone through three of these suckers in two years...
blink.gif
This is far worse than my MTBF for all other chairs.

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #23 of 101
Still, the question of mine holds it's places, what's the best chair for under $400 that is not overly big like an piece of furniture, still office sized, well-built and has good back support?

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 101
Luckily there's a few places around here that do sell the chairs I've inquired about. And I'm off!

PS Jagwire, can you start your own thread about your concern? I'm sure you'd get a much better response to your question if you did that and at the same time not diverge from the topic of this thread. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2006 at 9:21 PM Post #25 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
Still, the question of mine holds it's places, what's the best chair for under $400 that is not overly big like an piece of furniture, still office sized, well-built and has good back support?

Go visit a chair forum for that. It's impossible to say what the best chair is given your criteria. C'mon, it's just like headphones. Everyone has different wants and needs. GO TO A STORE AND TRY THEM OUT FOR YOURSELF.

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #26 of 101
Have an Aeron myself and it's sitting unused in my room. Unfortunately bought it untried off a local seller on Ebay and didn't get to try it...a rather costly mistake money-wise and space-wise now. My major problem is the backrest is much too short for me, so my upper back gets zero support. After a few hours I start getting a crick in my neck from having to keep it straight by posture alone. Also find that the seatpan is a too short for me as well. Still stuck using a basic leather chair that's 10 years old and pretty beaten up, but at least its back is tall enough...something that's not all that easy to find out there. I'm 5' 9", long torso and legs.

Aug 24, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #27 of 101
Yup, the key is find the right size Aeron for youself (Size A, B, or C) or otherwise the chair can be uncomfortable and won't provide the support in the right places. The Aeron isn't a "one size fits all" type of chair.

Aug 24, 2006 at 11:26 PM Post #28 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Yup, the key is find the right size Aeron for youself (Size A, B, or C) or otherwise the chair can be uncomfortable and won't provide the support in the right places. The Aeron isn't a "one size fits all" type of chair.

Indeed this is very true, and what's more, the C size is appropriate for a larger segment of the population than one might think (it's easy to be a "medium" sized person but need a "large" sized Aeron).

Here's a link to the Aeron Sizing chart.

To find the size of an Aeron, curl your hand under the top of the backrest frame as if you were going to bicep-curl the chair this way, and you'll feel one, two or three bumps there (between the frame and the pellicle) signifying sizes A, B or C.

Aug 25, 2006 at 12:47 AM Post #30 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I've been using the Leap chair for a year now here, and it's the best chair i've ever had, period. And it's office furniture that I'd love to take home to use!

Fabric? Leather? What color?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back