Best computer chair? Herman Miller Aeron, Steelcase Leap, Humanscale Freedom?
Aug 25, 2006 at 12:55 AM Post #32 of 101
Thanks for sharing your excellent computer/office chair review. Glad you got the chance to go and try out all of the models that intrests you and finding the chair that best meets your requirements. One thing to note about the Aeron is that the PostureFit system can be ordered as a optional add on.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #33 of 101
My goodness, those Herman Millers look uncomfortable. I can't see the appeal of sitting for hours and hours on hard plastic if you don't have to. That Steelcase Leap, though, that looks nice. Good choice.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:09 AM Post #34 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by daba
Herman Miller Mirra

Although this is a newer design from HM, I considered this roughly the same as the Aeron, just "cheaper" in both materials, build quality, and as you would imagine, comfort. The recoil system was not as seamless, the knobs and levers were a bit modest in quality, and most notably the back support was made out of a cheap, hard plastic rather than a pellicle material like the Aeron. However, the actual cushion you sat on was still pellicle. It should be noted that this chair has the new "Posture Fit" type system for lumbar support, but I couldn't judge its performance since the backrest material was completely different anyway. This chair just didn't sit well with me (no pun intended). If you were going to throw down the cash for the Mirra I'd recommend you just get the Aeron for the extra quality.

Having the Mirra at work, and an Aeron at home, I actually don't find the differences between the two chairs to be as stark as you make them out to be.

The Mirra can be ordered with a fabric covered back which feels a lot better. The back on the Aeron is more forgiving, but I don't find the harder back on the Mirra to be a liability. My back feels very well supported in the right place. The major difference for me on the Aerons the way the armrests don't slope downwards, which is more comfortable.

Just a note from sombody who sits in both chairs several hours a day.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #35 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger
My goodness, those Herman Millers look uncomfortable.

Looks can be deceiving.

The Aeron is made of a very springy breathable mesh, not plastic, which is immensely comfortable, and the Mirra chair's back is flexible plastic that can be ordered with a fabric, and provides good support.

I have serious issues with comfort....that's how I convinced my office to buy me one of these $900 chairs. Both the Aeron and the Mirra are more comfortable than any "approved" standard office chair I had (and those aren't cheap either, usually about $400.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger
I can't see the appeal of sitting for hours and hourson hard plastic if you don't have to.

The appeal of the Herman Miller Aeron is comfort. So, don't judge a chair by looks alone. My job is a pure desk job, so I can speak from experience with sitting hours and hours.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #36 of 101
Quote:

Originally Posted by Romanee
Fabric? Leather? What color?

mine's fabric, a bluesilver color. badass.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #37 of 101
warpdriver: I just felt the quality of the Mirra wasn't up to the Aeron, and the biggest feature, the reclining mechanism, wasn't as good as the Aeron either (which I would consider as the primary purchasing point). But you know more than me on this.

Trippytiger: the Aeron was the most comfortable without a doubt. The pellicle material, although not cushiony, was still enjoyable.

Aug 25, 2006 at 1:50 AM Post #38 of 101
My $30 rollee chair just bit the dust. The assembly that holds the back to the bottom of the seat is now bent, and the chair is in permanent recliner mode. It served me well for nearly two years, but now it is time to move on. Goodnight, sweet prince.

And thus, the search for a new computer chair begins... in Japan.

What have I found?

The Ergohuman (MSRP: 120,000 円 ~ $1100 USD)
img10221678842.jpg

What am I going to buy?

The Sigma Mesh Chair (Retail price: 9,800 円 ~ $90 USD)
img10341229501.jpeg

I'm just hoping it will last longer than rollee did...

Aug 25, 2006 at 2:35 AM Post #39 of 101
Yeah, that Ergohuman chair is one sweet ride. Has similar features and just as comfortable as the Aeron but cheaper from what I've read. I've seen a few of them on Ebay for around $600 USD.

Aug 25, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #40 of 101
I'll add my two cents to this thread. Recently, I was shopping for a nice desk chair as well. I tried most of the suspects mentioned and decided on something completely different - a body bilt K series with memory foam.

The brand really doesn't matter, but the foam does. After trying many chairs - the Aeron's, Freedom's, Leap's, and Life's, it was simply no contest. While each of the others conflicted with my body some way, the memory foam conformed perfectly to my body to the point that I could feel perfectly relaxed in an complete upright position.

The chairs don't have the cache' or modern hipster appeal or the tech looking design of many mentioned above, but one serious about a nice chair should try one.

BodyBilt
Lifeform (found at relax the back)
Neutral Posture
Tempur-pedic

All offer memory foam as upgrades if anyone is interested.

Aug 25, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #41 of 101
I have auditioned most of the chairs you listed. I ended up buying 2 of the Steelcase Leap fully optioned in black leather. They ran me about $1K each. Great chairs.

Aug 28, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #42 of 101
I had an Aeron at my last job and Leaps at home (got 'em for $50 each from a dying dot com). Completely agree with what's been said so far about the sizing of the Aerons, size C for me all the way (I'm 5'11"), but even with that I much prefer the Leaps. Build quality is about the same, but I just find them more comfortable.

Aug 28, 2006 at 3:28 AM Post #44 of 101
I've used an Aeron at the office for the past three years, and it's just fine. I like the looks and the build quality is high. However, for total comfort, I've always found the old steam-bent oak office chairs to be the best. Ones like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Office-C...QQcmdZViewItem

I've got one swivel (almost exactly like this one) and one side chair. I can sit in them for 12+ hours a day and still feel fine. You wouldn't think that something solid would be that comfortable, but they are. You can often pick them up for $200 or less. I've seen them go around $50 in some junk stores.

Aug 10, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #45 of 101

Users who are viewing this thread

Back